The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Decided to do a 50 km yesterday. Went out Sunday evening about 8pm saw about 3 people on the whole ride and virtually no traffic. No risk to myself or anyone else. Went out through the edge of Kegwoth and skirted East Leake but generally planned the route to minimise travelling through built up areas as much as possible. Sunday evening is normally quiet but this was on a whole other level. Did not see another cyclist.

AndreaJ

Veteran
April done, just round local lanes without getting too far from home. My plan was to keep turning right then left until I had enough miles which worked quite well. 53.12km done

iandg

Legendary Member
That's effectively what the Lunacy Challenge is, except it is for 13 rides of an arbitrary distance. You are welcome to switch to that.

With the COVID situation getting worse I have decided to drop out of this year's '50' challenge and focus on getting the best possible Lunacy Challenge result later in the year if/when longer rides become less of an issue.

Until then I will stick to doing local rides of no more than an hour to get some fresh air and will do harder sessions on my turbo trainer to get fit.

Stay healthy everyone and (hopefully!) see you for the 2021 Half Century Challenge. :hello:

I'm not riding outdoors at all and have bought a turbo. Unless lockdown finishes before the end of the month I'm out of the challenge. My one outdoor exercise a day is an hours dog walk. Stay safe all.

Domus

Guru
Mixing it up I found Green Arms Road through Chapeltown even more quiet than usual, no bikes at all seen until Belmont. Foolishly I decided to go through Adlington to the A6 and then follow the A6 to Farnworth, no bikes but plenty of cars and a headwind. Will avoid in future. Back to the maps to mix it up some more. A very hard won point in the headwind.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm not riding outdoors at all and have bought a turbo. Unless lockdown finishes before the end of the month I'm out of the challenge. My one outdoor exercise a day is an hours dog walk. Stay safe all.

I'm in a similar position.
Now it's just me and the dog, my allowed daily exercise is committed to his walk.
Plus there is the point that to do a 50km ride means me being out on the roads for the thick end of three hours, which I can't justify in the current situation. I'm not passing judgment on others here, but that's my personal call.
I've already done a 50km+ ride on the turbo this month, which isn't ideal but it's kept the legs turning.

Watching the news tonight it seems extremely unlikely that the restrictions will be lifted this month (or next month for that matter) so that means I'm not going to to get a qualifying outdoor ride in.

Made the most of this sunny Good Friday and set out for a steady potter round the lanes of Market Bosworth, though not before riding down the lanes and villages on the way to Hinckley. Steady was the word of the ride- I was looking for active recovery after last night’s Zwift Team Time Trial, choosing to soak in the sun, and some much needed vitamin D rather than look at numbers virtual riding in a red hot garage!
It was just stunning to be out today- wall to wall beautiful sunshine which made the picturesque little villages and countryside with the blossoming trees and flowers just resplendent. There were plenty out and and about today- even down the quiet lanes as I suspected they would- but everyone was observing the rules and maintaining their distance so all was good. Stopped briefly at Shenton to take a couple of pics and then made my way back north towards home- even racing (and beating) a train along the Battlefield line!

Before I knew it I was back home, 36 miles to the good. Great ride.
https://strava.app.link/u1ObDRBzz5
1586528118578.png

Last edited:
Nipped out again today for another sunny potter around the north of the county (and into Notts). Called my ride on strava “Planes,” Trains and Automobiles- on my travels I saw 2 of the three so that’s good enough for me! I did see a boat as well so that kind of makes up for it I guess.
The cycling? Oh yeah. 33.4 miles in 1:53 along flat and gently rolling terrain as active recovery from yesterday’s Zwift sweatfest! Another point.

Nipped out again today for another sunny potter around the north of the county (and into Notts). Called my ride on strava “Planes,” Trains and Automobiles- on my travels I saw 2 of the three so that’s good enough for me! I did see a boat as well so that kind of makes up for it I guess.
The cycling? Oh yeah. 33.4 miles in 1:53 along flat and gently rolling terrain as active recovery from yesterday’s Zwift sweatfest! Another point.

Also did 50km today but because I went round the North of the airfield, I saw many aircraft in the aeropark!! Didn't see any cars on the a50 though when I went over it or the a453!

Also did 50km today but because I went round the North of the airfield, I saw many aircraft in the aeropark!! Didn't see any cars on the a50 though when I went over it or the a453!
Yeah I saw you were out, looks like about an hour before me. Definitely weird up there without the hustle and bustle! Never thought of going there, or even up to DHL!

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Made the most of this sunny Good Friday and set out for a steady potter round the lanes of Market Bosworth, though not before riding down the lanes and villages on the way to Hinckley. Steady was the word of the ride- I was looking for active recovery after last night’s Zwift Team Time Trial, choosing to soak in the sun, and some much needed vitamin D rather than look at numbers virtual riding in a red hot garage!
It was just stunning to be out today- wall to wall beautiful sunshine which made the picturesque little villages and countryside with the blossoming trees and flowers just resplendent. There were plenty out and and about today- even down the quiet lanes as I suspected they would- but everyone was observing the rules and maintaining their distance so all was good. Stopped briefly at Shenton to take a couple of pics and then made my way back north towards home- even racing (and beating) a train along the Battlefield line!

Before I knew it I was back home, 36 miles to the good. Great ride.
https://strava.app.link/u1ObDRBzz5 View attachment 513979
View attachment 513979

View attachment 513980

View attachment 513981

View attachment 513982

View attachment 513983

Top Bottom