The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Just doing a bit of thread housekeeping and noticed 2 riders I'm not sure about Mays ride so @cosmicbike I noticed you've done June ride in my ride today thread did you do one in May ?, @Osprey did you do a May ride ? ,If you didn't was it due to the Welsh goverments restrictions a bye may be available

A lovely half this weekend. Weather was pretty mixed but great to get out. I went down a local hill (Smalldean) that I pretty much only ever climb normally ... which meant I could finally stop to take a picture. Evil little sod, short but steep (this was taken about 1/3 way down).

Attachments

• hill.jpeg
    hill.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 4

steverob

Guru
A lovely half this weekend. Weather was pretty mixed but great to get out. I went down a local hill (Smalldean) that I pretty much only ever climb normally ... which meant I could finally stop to take a picture. Evil little sod, short but steep (this was taken about 1/3 way down).
Blimey, as if Smalldean wasn't tough enough already, they've got and installed potholes as well to deal with! Admittedly I haven't been up there in almost 18 months; from memory while the road surface was never great, I don't recall it being quite that bad, especially given that bit is at the 20% section.

Blimey, as if Smalldean wasn't tough enough already, they've got and installed potholes as well to deal with! Admittedly I haven't been up there in almost 18 months; from memory while the road surface was never great, I don't recall it being quite that bad, especially given that bit is at the 20% section.

Yes it's a bit sketchy at the moment, particularly up the left side. As usual after rain the bottom had an awful lot of stones/gravel. I passed a couple of guys heading up who clearly hadn't done it before and it was coming as a bit of a shock!

Domus

Guru
Looking for a new route to get through Haslingden and noticed a back road to Rawtenstall, blooming heck :eek: one ramp showed 11.9 % on my Wahoo, got the old pump into overdrive. Blooming fast descent though. Also found a bike path from Pilsworth to Gigg lane via a small bridge over the River Roch, saves mixing with the cars for a short while. Quite cold this morning, where has Mr Sunshine gone?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looking for a new route to get through Haslingden and noticed a back road to Rawtenstall, blooming heck :eek: one ramp showed 11.9 % on my Wahoo, got the old pump into overdrive. Blooming fast descent though.
That sounds like the route I took with @Littgull and @doughnut on THIS forum ride 4 years ago... Church St, Rake Foot, Kirk Hill Rd, Haslingden Old Rd?

If so, yes - that was a nice alternative to the busy valley road!

Domus

Guru
Hi Colin I started up Hud Rake, then joined Rake Foot etc. No right turn into Hud Rake from A680, so went past and did a U turn. Cracking views down the valley. 👍

That sounds like the route I took with @Littgull and @doughnut on THIS forum ride 4 years ago... Church St, Rake Foot, Kirk Hill Rd, Haslingden Old Rd?

If so, yes - that was a nice alternative to the busy valley road!
Yes, thats the route. It's a very pleasant and much quieter route out of Rawtenstall towards Bacup compared to taking the much busier road directly along the valley. I have ridden it many times solo too. It is part of Sustrans route 91 before it turns northwards. Route 92 after that point and the other side of the valley road is excellent too, particularly in between Stacksteads and Britannia taking the cyclist (and pedestrian) through two excellent former railway tunnels that are both lit. Lots of good quality surface off road on Route 92 between Stacksteads and Whitworth then on to Rochdale. Some parts after Whitworth can be very muddy though after periods of prolonged rain.

I like cycling in the Rawtenstall/Haslingden and beyond area. A couple of weeks ago I completed a solo imperial century which included a 56 mile loop that began and ended at Edenfield. After I rode through the outskirts of Haslingden I had the delightful experience of riding 3.5 miles on a completely deserted Grane Road. Lancs County Council had wisely taken the decision to use the lockdown period to completely close the road to motorists in order to cut back overgrown vegetation on both roadside verges. The highways works supervisor said cyclists were fine to proceed though - so like a 'kid in a sweet shop', I carried on! Those on CC who are familiar with the Grane Road will know only too well that whilst it is a very scenic road, in normal times (i.e. pre/post COVID 19) it is pickled with very fast traffic leaving cyclists very vulnerable to dangerous close passes or worse! I met another cyclist before I turned left on to Jackson Heights Road and as we briefly chatted (a good 2 metres apart, of course) we basked in the sheer joy of cycling that normally very busy road in such unexpected and prized solitude. Here are a few pictures that illustrate the quietness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom