The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
June done. :okay:

while the rest of the brood were still in their pits I set out for a cheeky early morning spin over to Tamworth to nab some veloviewer tiles. I’d plotted the route a couple of weeks ago but had been unable to do it until now. A misty start but not cold, the sun trying to break through where it could. Barely saw a car for the duration of the ride- in fact I’d say I saw more sets of temporary lights than I did cars! Plenty of other cyclists out, solo and grouped but distanced which was good to see. No climbing of note, just rolling roads. Thoroughly enjoyed that one and quite pacey.
51.25 in 2:50.

The Bystander

Über Member
I have completed another half century qualifier but with the interruptions by Ciara, Dennis, Jorge and then Covid keeping a record of rides and points for this year seems a little pointless.

As I've already posted a qualifier for this month I'll not bother posting today's, and for the rest of the year I'll probably only post the one ride per month. If any members of the community feel that I am depriving them, or the wider community, of vital information please let me know and I'll arrange for details of future qualifying rides to be sent to you. In the meantime I refer such deprived members of the community to the ride I posted on the 1st June : today's was essentially the same.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I have completed another half century qualifier but with the interruptions by Ciara, Dennis, Jorge and then Covid keeping a record of rides and points for this year seems a little pointless.

As I've already posted a qualifier for this month I'll not bother posting today's, and for the rest of the year I'll probably only post the one ride per month. If any members of the community feel that I am depriving them, or the wider community, of vital information please let me know and I'll arrange for details of future qualifying rides to be sent to you. In the meantime I refer such deprived members of the community to the ride I posted on the 1st June : today's was essentially the same.
No problems from me . The points tally is only a personal target to beat another year so dosn't cause any issue .

Domus

Guru
A bit draughty this morning, a cool breeze necessitated arm warmers for the first 40 minutes or so, I recreated my ride up to Sharneyford the other week but in a moment of madness :wacko: when I reached Bacup, I turned right to Weir and Deerplay. It was definitely windy on top there but the views were spectacular. Water and Waterfoot then home via Rawtenstall. I ended with 72 Kms with 889 metres of upness. I was ready for my lunch when I got back home. I was then informed that more gardening duties were required. Should have stayed out longer. :sad:

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Another 40+ ride to add to my yearly score. Fairly flat, only 450 m, which helped me get the speed average to 16mph. Loads of cyclists again out today, with a few largish groups not doing much social distancing, but also quite a few lone cyclists. The weather also helped, with hardly any wind, and the occasional cloud.

aferris2

Guru
June ride done. I thought essex was flat but this corner of WA is even flatter. Only managed to get a bit of elevation by visiting the space museum that I saw as I got close. Lots of fruit farming in this area. Bananas mainly, but also tomatoes, grapefruit? (Not sure, they were too big to be oranges), melons, plus lots of stuff behind netting so I couldn't see what was there. Horrible headwind on the most boring part which just makes it feel even longer. Glad to get this one done as there aren't many places here where a longer ride can be done. Next challenge -find somewhere to ride in July.

Slick

Guru
June ride done. I thought essex was flat but this corner of WA is even flatter. Only managed to get a bit of elevation by visiting the space museum that I saw as I got close. Lots of fruit farming in this area. Bananas mainly, but also tomatoes, grapefruit? (Not sure, they were too big to be oranges), melons, plus lots of stuff behind netting so I couldn't see what was there. Horrible headwind on the most boring part which just makes it feel even longer. Glad to get this one done as there aren't many places here where a longer ride can be done. Next challenge -find somewhere to ride in July.
I looked at your link and thought it would be nice to see some pictures as I'm highly unlikely to ever ride in Oz, but now I'm not so sure after reading your description. :laugh:

aferris2

Guru
I looked at your link and thought it would be nice to see some pictures as I'm highly unlikely to ever ride in Oz, but now I'm not so sure after reading your description. :laugh:
There are lots of lovely places to see in this country. You do need a motorised vehicle to get around unless you are really mad though. And at least a couple of bikes. MTB for the hilly off-road bits and something a bit faster for the flatter country.
We are heading into the wilderness of the northern part of WA and in a lot of places there is only one road and cycling on those can be really scary (Road trains do 110kmh and don't like slowing down). Find the quieter roads and you're fine.

Slick

Guru
There are lots of lovely places to see in this country. You do need a motorised vehicle to get around unless you are really mad though. And at least a couple of bikes. MTB for the hilly off-road bits and something a bit faster for the flatter country.
We are heading into the wilderness of the northern part of WA and in a lot of places there is only one road and cycling on those can be really scary (Road trains do 110kmh and don't like slowing down). Find the quieter roads and you're fine.
I knew there would be which is why I would liked to have seen some pictures. I never did like the look of those road trains, always felt they could do a lot of damage without even feeling it. :eek:

aferris2

Guru
I knew there would be which is why I would liked to have seen some pictures. I never did like the look of those road trains, always felt they could do a lot of damage without even feeling it. :eek:
I usually add a few photos into the ride on Strava. I've got somewhere around 8000 photos from the trip so far. Maybe I will get round to doing a travel report on CC once we are back in the UK (september) when I have unlimited data to upload just a fraction of the best ones.
Here's a selection from the last week or two:

And finally one of a road train. At least this one only had 3 trailers. Some have four!

Slick

Guru
I usually add a few photos into the ride on Strava. I've got somewhere around 8000 photos from the trip so far. Maybe I will get round to doing a travel report on CC once we are back in the UK (september) when I have unlimited data to upload just a fraction of the best ones.
Here's a selection from the last week or two:
View attachment 530463

View attachment 530464

View attachment 530465

View attachment 530466

And finally one of a road train. At least this one only had 3 trailers. Some have four!
View attachment 530469
Looks amazing love it. Apart from the road trains obviously. :eek:

Top Bottom