The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Past the half way point. It's all downhill from now!
Reasonably early start to get a ride in before the temperature gets too high. It reaches about 34C by about midday and there is absolutely no shade here. Options are very limited here because you can't go anywhere near any of the aboriginal communities because of COVID, and all but the town roads and the main road into Broome are unsealed. That means very soft sand which doesn't go well with 32mm tyres.
Was a bit nervous going up the main highway but there's either a separate path or a fairly wide edge to the road. Must admit the few large lorries (Not quite road trains) that did pass almost fell off the other side of the road in an effort to leave a decent gap. Did have the normal chaos outside a few of the caravan parks where they are all queuing to check in and haven't a clue what's going on around them. You would think that a line of caravans pulled over to the side of the road underneath the big signs would mean that you just tag on the end. Nope. Pass a few then try to find somewhere to do a u-turn. Mirrors or indicators? Na. Far too difficult to use those when you have to turn a steering wheel.

And here's a pic of one of the bigger road trains from a few days ago

Last edited:
July done.

I met up with a few lads from Nuneaton for a ride up to Rosliston. Making the short half hour drive down towards Nuneaton, I got the bike out of the boot only to realise that in my coffee-deprived haste I’d removed my wheels prior to putting it in the car then forgot to put in one of the wheels! :rolleyes::laugh:

Luckily my mate has a similar bike to me that he wasn’t using today and was able to loan me one of his wheels. Crisis averted, we met up with the others and set off through all familiar lanes up to the cafe in Rosliston before heading back southwards towards Nuneaton. Grey and overcast throughout but never cold, we were sheltered from the wind for the most part and this made for a very pacey (by my standards anyway) ride indeed!

50.75 in 2:44.

July's in the bag a Cornish one ^_^ with just 3050ft of upness :surrender:. Oh and a Kom :becool:
Good work @13 rider, well done on your KOM!

Climbing and elevation was the name of my game as well today, setting off out with a friend from Ashbourne in the Derbyshire Dales for a hilly spin through the Dales and the Staffordshire Moorlands and around Manifold valley, down towards Cheadle. Strong winds were only really a factor when high up but we dropped lucky on some of the climbs which, by the way, topped 20% in places quite often! The views were more breathtaking than the climbs though both were in abundance! It was a truly brilliant day out today, nice to get the climbing legs firing again after a long lay off.

50.34 miles and 6,483 ft of upness today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Good work @13 rider, well done on your KOM!

Climbing and elevation was the name of my game as well today, setting off out with a friend from Ashbourne in the Derbyshire Dales for a hilly spin through the Dales and the Staffordshire Moorlands and around Manifold valley, down towards Cheadle. Strong winds were only really a factor when high up but we dropped lucky on some of the climbs which, by the way, topped 20% in places quite often! The views were more breathtaking than the climbs though both were in abundance! It was a truly brilliant day out today, nice to get the climbing legs firing again after a long lay off.

50.34 miles and 6,483 ft of upness today.
Well done I thought my feet up per miles was impressive and you bettered it definitely a hilly ride then

Reactions: C R

Domus

Guru
Finally allowed back to the caravan in Grange, after tackling the jungle that was a garden I earned a day out. It was glorious when I set out at 09.00 arm warmers were left behind in the van but the clouds rolled in and the temperature dropped from 22 to 15. The descent of Bigland was quite chilly as the sun never gets through the canopy. Coniston was quiet but it was nice to sit outside the café and drink from a proper cup. The climb up Hawkshead Hill seemed even steeper than I remembered. The Windermere Ferry was running but face coverings were required. The surface from Witherslack to Meathop has been renewed and is much nicer to ride on. Back to Grange with 81 Kms and 1441 metres of upness.

Great to be back ^_^

Top Bottom