The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Off work all this week as I'd booked a fortnight off months ago for a two week holiday in Cornwall which we changed to 1 week due to covid rules restricting our normal holiday . So in-between a garden project Im trying for a 50km ride every day . Sunday 50km ,Monday 50 miles and another 50km ride today
So my attempt to ride over 50km everyday this week was a fail :sad:. After Fridays ride being cut short by a broken spoke but still getting 50km in . On Saturday I fitted the spare rear wheel and set off and had a comical mechanical as the freehub gave up and I went to set off and the pedals span but no drive :laugh:. Luckily I was only 1 mile from home so not far too walk . Spent some time trying to fix the hub but no luck so no 50kms .So with time running out this month I had to do this month's 100km ride on my hybrid today so 6 out of 7 days is not to shabby

Last edited:
Wait until its resurfaced.....that'll speed you up it!
I just scraped sub 8 minutes as a PB so anything to help knock chunks off that is always welcome!

Another climb was in my sights today- Lings Hill at Branston in the Vale of Belvoir. I’ve been down it as part of a CC meet-up and if truth be told it’s not the most severe of climbs- albeit it is punchy- however it comes up on Simon Warren’s Midlands list so it had to be done!
It was a nice sunny 32 miles riding to get to the climb, largely flat roads and I was able to do this at pace thanks to a westerly tail wind and some clever drafting with a pair of other cyclists! Once they peeled off, I encountered another couple out riding where the wife had started to lag behind her unsuspecting other half as the road kicked up in small parts. She jokingly asked for a tow as I made my way past and was even more surprised when I obliged! Eventually after a short while I managed to get her back to her hubby, sweep duties done, and I was able to make my way, aero position and everything, along the flat straight sections into the start of the vale.
At the base of the climb I stopped to take pics of what awaited then hit it. I may have dropped a bit of a clanger though as the segment may have started before I stopped to take pics, so I’m waiting for clarification on whether my time was impacted.
Climb defeated, I stopped at the top for a snack and a drink then it was back along familiar quiet roads for the most part back home, stopping again at a local co-op in rothley for a drink.

66.27 in 3:44.

Willd

Veteran
4 gates, dodged lots of potholes, mud & gravel, sheep and cow poo and a flock of sheep ^_^

Plus a proper hill (for me at least, as it's fairly flat round here), Priors Marston - Average gradient: 8.6%, Maximum gradient:14.6%, + 49 m in 0.6 km, one gear to spare (34, 23), certainly out of breath at the top :wacko:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's a bit late this month, but I've finally managed to get the 50 miler in thanks to an outing in Norfolk this morning. Added to a couple of 50k rides so far this month, I'm still keeping both of these (and the 100k challenge) going. A pick up in traffic at work & some lousy weather made it uncertain when I'd get this done.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Had my first ride out with a group for ages this weekend, in fact, first this year. Did a nice ride between Preston, Chorley and Blackburn using trails, shared paths and canal towpaths. Made a nice change but I think I do prefer going at my own pace (and in my own direction - often lost!) Still, got my first 50m+ ride of the year in on a nice sunny day.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
onto Rivington. It was like Bank Holiday, the Second Coming and free beer day all rolled into one. The parking was abysmal, at the bottom of Sheep House Lane they were parked on the first bend so cars, motor bikes and bikes had to filter through the best they could.

It was the same on the Saturday.
I went through Belmont then onto Rivington and home via Horwich.
Rivi was packed with parked cars and every motorbike rider on the planet was there screaming through the lanes.
Absolute chaos.
I said to Pam when I got home that it used to be quiet up there...not any more.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
A week to go update for July . We have 19 riders fully posted up for July leaving 11 riders yet to post a ride and 1 rider @Katherine yet to post for June and July . So a nudge for @Spinney ,@cosmicbike ,@Sbudge ,@Saluki ,@Rob and Alison ,@Slick ,@slow scot ,@PatrickPending ,@lane ,@Vantage . The one rider missing off the nudge list is @footloose crow due to his injury
Apologies if I've missed anyone's posts as I while I was on holiday I had limited internet and have only quickly scanned the thread

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm being slack again, shock horror. Ride done on the 1st July, will update thread....

Domus

Guru
Having abandoned Rivington at weekends (see above) I had my first ever visit to the Velo Café at Croston. Tiny shower in Bolton this morning but nothing to worry about, head/cross wind all the way to Croston so i was ready for some refreshment. Queued up outside and gave my phone number on entering then it was just rammed with several large groups, no masks, no social distancing at all. Had my coffee and toast and left sharpish. Another avoid for Sundays methinks. Very pleasant ride home via quiet lanes through Standish and Haigh. Got caught in a heavy shower just 5 Kms from home. Another two pointer to bring up my 50 for the year. Will do the route again but during the week.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
A week to go update for July . We have 19 riders fully posted up for July leaving 11 riders yet to post a ride and 1 rider @Katherine yet to post for June and July . So a nudge for @Spinney ,@cosmicbike ,@Sbudge ,@Saluki ,@Rob and Alison ,@Slick ,@slow scot ,@PatrickPending ,@lane ,@Vantage . The one rider missing off the nudge list is @footloose crow due to his injury
Apologies if I've missed anyone's posts as I while I was on holiday I had limited internet and have only quickly scanned the thread
Did it today!! ^_^

Top Bottom