The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm definitely up for this Challenge again this year.

Unless the weather forecast changes, I should be able to post my first ride on Saturday.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I must say I was rather chuffed when I realised I've now done a 50k ride for last consecutive 49 months. I would not have completed that number if it hadn't have been for this challenge, so thanks to everyone for making the experience so great. I'm playing around with the idea of trying to do a 50 mile ride each month - but I'm not going to commit until I've done a 40 miler to see how I feel. (BTW mentioning this challenge in the pub over the years has resulted in some very strange looks from non-cyclists ... )

January done. :okay:

Set off this morning for a meet up with the ex-Saga CC now renamed “Team TBC“ boys for a little spin out. All six of us turned out which is a rarity in itself as normally at least one of us usually can’t make it! :laugh:
Cool but not freezing, we started a little after 0815 and it was our usual route of sorts, pan flat roads skirting along the borders of southern Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and NW Leicestershire with the only climb of note being between Long Whatton and Kegworth. Managed to nab another veloviewer square that I missed on New Years Eve as well. Stopped off at Kegworth about 21 miles in for breakfast at Oakland’s cafe which is renowned locally for its breakfast culinary prowess. Today didn’t disappoint either, most of the lads opting for a full English while I was a little more conservative in my choices with a bacon roll (or cob as it’s known in these parts but let’s not go there eh?:laugh:) two hash browns, and a chocolate flapjack washed down with a latte and a pot of tea.

One of the lads had to shoot off early due to other commitments so we were down to five for the return journey. We deviated from the planned route as Will decided he was gonna take us on a “mystery tour.” :ohmy:

When Will says things like that it’s time to be worried because it’s very rarely without incident! Heading up the old A6 towards the M1 J24 island, we picked up some cycle paths that ran parallel with the A50 and before long we were at Castle Donington and Will’s motives became clear......

There’s been a new road put in to bypass the village itself which is complete but not yet open and still fenced off (yes you can see where this is going can’t you? :rolleyes::laugh:) Will lifts the heras fencing, we all sneak underneath and try our luck.....

On the plus side it’s a beautiful surface and not half as steep as riding through the main village (all uphill) and we obviously had the freedom to ride wherever we liked! When it does actually open this will be a godsend as those who know this area will benefit massively on their commutes. Reaching the top without being arrested or chased by dogs and such like, we got back onto the loop road that skirts around East Midlands Airport and back onto the planned route which we rejoined at Donington Park. Had a bit of a thrashfest for a few miles as we reached Melbourne and said our goodbyes to Will and Tim at this point as they live there.

To quote the Genesis album title “And Then There Were Three” we blobbed up and chain ganged it back to Swarkestone where I was totally spent having done the lions share on the front only for the other two to take the glory!

34.6 (55.7) in 2:01.

*copying to YRT*

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was on the verge of saying that I might try and stick to 50-milers for the half century challenge this year rather than the metric version, but then I remembered why I have not done that in the past... 50 miles is getting close to a metric century (62.2 miles) so I usually add the extra to qualify those rides for the MCaM challenge. I keep the 2 challenges separate so if I were to lengthen one 50 miler to 100 kms then I would have to go out and do another 50 miler. I'll stick to 50-odd kms, with the odd one stretched to 50 miles when I really don't have the time/energy/inclination to add an extra 12.2 miles to that distance!

I was on the verge of saying that I might try and stick to 50-milers for the half century challenge this year rather than the metric version, but then I remembered why I have not done that in the past... 50 miles is getting close to a metric century (62.2 miles) so I usually add the extra to qualify those rides for the MCaM challenge. I keep the 2 challenges separate so if I were to lengthen one 50 miler to 100 kms then I would have to go out and do another 50 miler. I'll stick to 50-odd kms, with the odd one stretched to 50 miles when I really don't have the time/energy/inclination to add an extra 12.2 miles to that distance!
I have to admit I’m umming and aahing about the metric century myself- the last two months were very difficult to commit to!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have to admit I’m umming and aahing about the metric century myself- the last two months were very difficult to commit to!
Why not tackle a metric century 'Lunacy Challenge' instead, then you don't need to worry about dates***.

*** Unless you, like me, leave the last ride too late in the year and are then faced with doing it at the end of December - I failed!

Why not tackle a metric century 'Lunacy Challenge' instead, then you don't need to worry about dates***.

*** Unless you, like me, leave the last ride too late in the year and are then faced with doing it at the end of December - I failed!
That’s exactly what I did in November and post Christmas!! I might have a look at the lunacy one.

steverob

Guru
Okay, I tried to hold my tongue as long as I could (hey, I lasted until the 4th January!), but I'm going to have to mention it otherwise my OCD is going to drive me crazy all year.

Yes, it's the two missing spaces in the title for the main Challenge thread. One should be between "50" and "mile", the other between the close parenthesis (that's brackets to most people) and "a".

Sorry, that just really bugs me for some reason!

In other news, I finally got off my arse and dragged myself away from the Test match long enough to get on my bike for the first time this year. 50km done and first point logged for 2020.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’m off the mark in this Challenge for this year.

A mostly bright and sunny day with a W wind that had a chilly nip to it. I headed north with the intention of exploring a couple of new routes which I’ll use for my Loony Rides when the days get longer.

Photo below of the very pretty lake at Loscouët-sur-Meu.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm up and at 'em in the 50km a month challenge again. Aiming for separate rides again from other challenges. I let the husband be routemaster and we had a very pleasant lap of Chew Valley Lake, for the third time in less than two weeks. Didn't get wet or blown around this time. Obligatory coffee and apricot flapjack at Manor Farm. Less than 50km, he said I had to go out time trialling the straight road again, but the bike shop mechanic was free and sorted out my gear cable for me, so the run into Bristol and back added 10km. So a point I have!

Top Bottom