The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Ride out this morning in sub zero temperatures, well dressed, so not a problem, but my wife thinks I'm mad. She went to park run yesterday in very similar conditions, so she isn't in a position to cast aspersions.

My water had started to freeze by the time I got home, and there was frost on my jacket, gloves and helmet, but the views were beautiful.

IMG_20200119_094456313.jpg

IMG_20200119_093831730.jpg

IMG_20200119_080857014.jpg

IMG_20200119_105105.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Ride out this morning in sub zero temperatures, well dressed, so not a problem, but my wife thinks I'm mad. She went to park run yesterday in very similar conditions, so she isn't in a position to cast aspersions.

My water had started to freeze by the time I got home, and there was frost on my jacket, gloves and helmet, but the views were beautiful.

View attachment 501121

View attachment 501122
View attachment 501123
View attachment 501124
View attachment 501125
Well done on getting the miles in those conditions ,glad you got round safe .I bailed a 50km today due to ice

C R

Guru
Well done on getting the miles in those conditions ,glad you got round safe .I bailed a 50km today due to ice
I kept to roads I knew would be clear until the sun was out and I could see where I was going. Once I got to the lanes there was some ice, but less than I expected. I still took it easy, though, you never know when a wheel might slide out. Maybe my wife is right and I am indeed mad :whistle::wacko:

Domus

Guru
Was invited on an impromptu Chorlton ride but at the time I would have to leave home the fog was quite thick and the road was icy. :cold: So after wating a couple of hours I was out on my own for a Holcombe Hill circuit, the Drop Off Café was closed so Costa in Rawtenstall was pressed into service for hot coffee. Up and over Holcombe Hill in bright sunshine before dropping back into very cold fog in Bolton. 55.8 chilly Kms and another point, 👍

bluenotebob

Veteran
A 23km loop out to the west before returning home for 15 mins .. a quick bite to eat, check the cricket score and top up the bidon ... then back out on the bike into the wind and rain for a 27km loop to the north.

I did a few of these 'split rides' last year that totalled over 50km but I didn't 'book' them in this challenge. Part of me still feels that it isn't a 'real' 50+km ride … but I really don't see the difference between me popping home for a sandwich and other people stopping somewhere for a coffee.

I'm pleased that I forced myself to go out today in unpleasant conditions - the prospects of any more rides this month don't look good.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
A 23km loop out to the west before returning home for 15 mins .. a quick bite to eat, check the cricket score and top up the bidon ... then back out on the bike into the wind and rain for a 27km loop to the north.

I did a few of these 'split rides' last year that totalled over 50km but I didn't 'book' them in this challenge. Part of me still feels that it isn't a 'real' 50+km ride … but I really don't see the difference between me popping home for a sandwich and other people stopping somewhere for a coffee.

I'm pleased that I forced myself to go out today in unpleasant conditions - the prospects of any more rides this month don't look good.
No problems in this challenge returning home like you say no different from stopping at a cafe . My general rule is it you think it counts it counts

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
My run of rides in the winter sunshine came to an unwelcome end today with what bbc weather optimistically called light rain and a breeze which was more like heavy rain and wind. I had planned a longer ride so just had to add extra layers and hope the rain stopped, I started out to Northwood, Welshampton, Coptiviney and towards Ellesmere turning towards Trench by the Mere, on to Elson and back into Ellesmere past millionaires row and though the town then past Ellesmere College to Lee where I turned towards Whitemere and past the nature reserve to Lyneal, past the vineyard and Colemere into the village of Colemere, Loppington, Horton, Whixall back to Northwood and then home. Hardly any traffic, no dog walkers but 2 horse riders and 1 cyclist. 38.2 cold, wet, windy miles @ 15.1mph. Got back soaking wet, cold and muddy, I will be glad when all the mud dries up.
Just checking that you now you can post multiple rides in the challenge

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks I will add them to my first post.
To make it easier to me to keep track of everyone's rides I prefer a new list each ride like this below
Jan 5th 31.6 miles 1 point
Anstey , Mountsorrel ,Hoton ,Wymeswold ,Seagrave ,Sileby ,Cossington ,Cropston ,Anstey
Jan 12th 37.1 miles 1 point
Anstey ,Cossington ,Hoby ,Asfordby ,Nice pie for breakfast ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Anstey
Jan 13th 35.9 miles 1 point
Anstey ,Belton ,Diesworth ,Long Wharton ,Normanton ,Cotes ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Anstey

Points in this challenge 3
Points in all challenges 7
Basically I post a new post each month then copy and paste it and add any extra rides

Top Bottom