The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Taken me a while to log this as I did it on the 1st of August - 86Km Blaby - Countesthorpe - Willoughby Waterleys -Gilmorton - Walcote -South Kilworth -Stanford on Avon -Cold Ashby - Thornby - Naseby - Sibbertoft - Marston Trussel - East Farndon - Lubenham - Laughton -Gumley - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Still hope to get a longer ride before the end of August - not done a 100mile ride this year....always try and do at least one - probably a trip out to Fotheringhay.....just need a niceish day......

Domus

Guru
A second visit to the Velo Café at Croston, much better than the last visit, far fewer people with it being midweek. Arm warmers on for most of the way back as the wind picked up a bit. Only one close pass which was VERY close, there was a road sweeper going at road sweeper speed on Plodder Lane, mirror check, nothing behind so gave it a wide berth only for a Volvo going at warp speed to overtake us both just as I was level with the cab. Hells bells he was close. :cursing:
That's probably it for August, 57 points up to now, a little down on last year but as no Mallorca trip and no Friday Night rides it is understandable.

Domus

Guru
As an apprentice almost 50 years ago, we used fag paper to zero cutters, stick a paper with some saliva to the workpiece, bring in the cutter very slowly and when the paper disappeared you knew you were close. It was a flash back to those times. :eek:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got my Aug ride in today. Decided to take the train up to Carnforth and ride back along the entire length of the Lancaster canal. All went to plan and it was a good ride but slow! 54 miles in 6 hours 44, 8mph. Expected some areas to be muddy and rough, and there was some of that, but lots of walkers around as well, and I always give way to them. Took the old rigid MTB that I have and its my longest ride on it to date, The fat chunky tyres helped but still feels like someone has spent 6 hrs kicking my ass! When I got to the end of the canal I drove straight down to the nearest garage and used their jetwash to clear the lumps of mud off it.

C R

Guru
It felt more like October than August this morning. Anyhow, quite a nice looking day, plan was to try Ankerdine hill again, it is less than a mile, but has a couple of sections of 17%, and the first time I tried it I had to stop three times. Today I managed with only one stop, and five minutes faster, so some progress there. Maybe next time I'll manage without stops.

Domus

Guru
Managed another for August, toughest ride ever for me. Set off for a 100k ride at 09.00. Very chilly up in Sunny Grange so bibtights and long sleeve jersey. I underestimated the severity and length of the new climbs to Broughton in Furness and then onto Torver. By the time I got to Coniston I was only 45 Kms in but had 1000 metres of ascent done.
Onto Hawkshead via Wray Castle and then to find the Windermere Ferry not running AGAIN. Really peed off with them as it meant a re route and two more climbs, one of them at 16%. Ended up with 100.9 Kms and the Wahoo reading 2001 metres of climbing. Absolutely goosed now but 3 more points. 👍

Top Bottom