The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I do like it when they get the weather forecast wrong. Earlier in the week Friday was supposed to be damp & windy, but it turned ut to be bone dry, quite warm but a bit breezy so I was able to get the 50 mile challenge ride completed today with an anit-clockwise loop out to Raydon, Brantham & Alton Water. That makes all three challenge rides (including the 100k) done by the 4th of the month!

Ride thread updated.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Having a rather rubbish year on the bike, just too busy to get out much. Always making time for the 50km mind, so yesterday I was out far later than I like to be. Pushing a decent pace for me at 17.5mph average, I managed to stay ahead of a chaingang of 6 from the Wimbledon Windmills for a mile and a half, then picked up the tow from them, amazing how much difference it makes being on the back...

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January 5th - Warwick, Barford, Loxley, Ettington, Butlers Marston, Harbury, Offchurch, Warwick. 39miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/2983393237
February 2nd - Warwick, Charlecote, Aldermister, Illmington, Pillerton Priors, Wellesbourne, Bishops Tachbrook, Warwick. 42 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3064455413
March 1st - Warwick, Asrton Cantlow, Welford, Dorsington, Welford, Straford upon Avon, Loxley, Wellesbourne, Sherbourne, Warwick. 43 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3144054110
April 5th - Warwick, Long Itchington, Harbury, Bishop's Itchington, Gaydon, Pillerton Hersey, Walton, Newbold Pacey, Barford, Warwick. 37 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3257057206
May 6th - Warwick, Ashorne, Wellesbourne, Walton, Ettington, Loxley, Charlcote, Barford Warwick. 33 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3409907209
June 7th - Warwick, Barford, Charlecote, Alderminster, Illmington, Shipston-on-Stour, Whatcote, Kineton, Morton Morrell, Bishops Tachbrook, Warwick 44.3 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3576211708
July 5th - Warwick, Norton Lindsey, Charelcote, Wimpstone, Mickleton, Illmington, Idlicote, Pillerton Priors, Wellesbourne, Whitnash, Warwick 52.5 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3715919999
August 2nd - Warwick, Milverton, Leek Wooton, Haseley Knob, Hockley Heath, Wood End, Lowsonford, Norton Lindsey, Warwick. 37 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/3851785936
September 6th - Warwick, Norton Lindsey, Startford-upon-Avon, Mickleton, Weston-sub-Edge, Chipping Campden, Illmington, Idlicote, Wellesbourne, Leasmington Spa, Warwick 21.5 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/4019164627
You might want to edit the miles on your last ride to 51 not 21 :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm recovering from the biggest ride I've done since 2012. 79.2 miles :eek:
An average day for some, but a hell of a feat for me. Bolton to Southport and back mostly on canal towpaths which really tested my Voyager Hyper tyres grip. Slippy!
Out the door at 06.40 and home for about 17.30. My longest day ever.
Joined by 2 chaps I've known a few years and apart from some drizzle for the first hour or so, sunshine the whole day ^_^
No hypos either oddly enough.
The legs are stiff as iron girders at the moment and I finally have some feeling in my backside but a damn nice day out ^_^

I'm recovering from the biggest ride I've done since 2012. 79.2 miles :eek:
An average day for some, but a hell of a feat for me. Bolton to Southport and back mostly on canal towpaths which really tested my Voyager Hyper tyres grip. Slippy!
Out the door at 06.40 and home for about 17.30. My longest day ever.
Joined by 2 chaps I've known a few years and apart from some drizzle for the first hour or so, sunshine the whole day ^_^
No hypos either oddly enough.
The legs are stiff as iron girders at the moment and I finally have some feeling in my backside but a damn nice day out ^_^
Good work @Vantage, well done! :okay:

Domus

Guru
Took advantage of the strong breeze from the Irish Sea by taking the train to Barrow from Grange and riding back via the Bay Cycle Way. Really enjoyed it as the last time I did it was last December on the winter bike in full cold weather gear. Shorts and short sleeve jersey all day today. Bigland was not any easier though, still needed two breathers as my heart rate approached 180 BPM. Looking forward to a gentleman’s 4 dayer next week a social distance social ride around Cheshire using three Premier Inns. Should get 4 points.

Willd

Veteran
Yes I like how the weather forecast calls it a gentle breeze, but it never feels like that on a bike when it's in your face for 10 miles :sad:
56.82 miles today, halfway with the wind behind me I managed 16.9 mph as an average, this dropped to 16.1 for the full ride with the pleasure of a light breeze in my face ^_^ 2,250 ft of up too, Northamptonshire is definitely much hillier than my local bit of Warwickshire :rolleyes:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Struggling for bike time, so it was out yesterday morning for this month's ride regardless of forecast showers.

Ride done - it wasn't pretty or fast, but it's this month's point in the bag and it keeps the run going. And I dodged the showers, although the "gentle breeze" certainly felt much more enthusiastic.

I'll post it on t'other thread when I get two minutes.

Off the mark for September with a nice 3 pointer by way of a CC forum meet-up with @13 rider, @Supersuperleeds and a brief hello with @tallliman who unfortunately had to pull out due to not feeling too good. Our old favourite Nice Pie cafe at Old Dalby was the destination, we were there reasonably quickly after meeting up and yet again it didn’t disappoint. A bacon butty and a coffee later and we were back on our way and into the headwind! No major climbing, beautiful weather and a VV tile grab at Hoby made for a very pleasant ride indeed!
Parting ways with the others at Rothley I was at 42 miles and needing 20 more to bag the three points I headed back towards Loughborough along the villages of the old A6, picking up the actual A6 once there and heading north west towards Hathern and then back southwards towards home. The upshot of this was that there was very little climbing compared to the usual routes back from here which have lots but it got me the points I wanted and I wasn’t complaining! :laugh:

A steady paced ride and a great catch up with the other guys after almost a year. Hopefully won’t leave it so long next time if the you-know-what blows over soon......

Domus

Guru
Day 1 of a gentle, gentlemen’s social distancing, social ride in Cheshire.
Started very well with coffee and croissants in Wilmslow at the very posh Service Course, then a warm, sunny ride along quiet lanes to meet the other two members at the George and Dragon in Great Budworth for a sandwich lunch. Some off roading sections around the old salt workings and the Anderton Boat Lift, an ice cream in Northwich and a pleasant ride along the Weaver to the hotel. Glorious weather all day. 🌞👍🚲🍦

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm up in the peaks for a week near Matlock which means hills . A brutal 2 pointer today 50.1 miles had to do some loops of the village to get the extra point . Just 5000ft of upness did the climbs of Monsal head short but steep 16% ,Manners wood longer but not as steep and Beely moor which is long but a steady 6% I really enjoyed that one starts in wood then comes out on open moor land . Plenty of other up and downs nearly as brutal . Amazingly in Sept I suffered in the heat warmer today than my holiday in July

Domus

Guru
Day 2 of our social distancing adventure, Northwich to Harmer Hill via Audlem for lunch at Stuart’s, many thanks to Janis for a nice spread.
The lanes after lunch were so rural and quiet there were no opportunities for any refreshments at all. More climbing since we entered Shropshire but heading back north tomorrow to Chester. 82 Kms today so a 2 pointer. 👍

Domus

Guru
Day 3 was really good, chilly start but by the time we arrived in Ellesmere for coffee by the mere the sun was out in a clear blue sky. Very quiet lanes to Malpas for lunch in the old Fire Station. On to Chester and ice cream by the river. 73 sunny Kms and another point.
Going our separate ways tomorrow, we have been very lucky with the weather, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Finishing work a little early and the beautiful weather made the prospect of an evening Zwift sweat session very untempting, so I did a proper ride instead. There were a couple of straggly veloviewer tiles to get along the corridor of the A46 missed out from Sunday’s ride out to Nice Pie in the same area so I thought I’d go back out and get them. Tough going to start, the wind seemed slightly easterly so that meant heading out into a headwind. Not to be deterred, I pushed on anyway if at a little slower pace due to said wind and the mostly uphill terrain. Early evening traffic didn’t exactly help the cause either, but then it was never really about speed anyway, just the two tiles I needed to get. And I got them- the first was a punchy uphill slog out of Seagrave past Leicester City’s training ground to the A46 which blew me up and the other meant venturing onto the grounds of the nearby Ragdale Hall and Spa on the opposite side of the road. Tiles got, it was time to head back home and as I’m saving my climbing legs for another day coming very soon.......;)
I pretty much followed a similar route home from Loughborough as I did a couple of weeks ago which is much much flatter than all the other ways! Rapidly fading daylight and lack of bike lights put paid to pushing on to get the 50 miles and another point, but I’m happy just to get out. :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom