The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Admirable decision @kapelmuur done for entirely unselfish reasons and completely understandable .
While cycling is allowed outside I would like to keep the rules as per normal . However in unprecedented times I think if like @kapelmuur you declare yourself basically self isolating and can do a ride on a turbo and declare it as a virtual ride I think we could allow it and will mark it as such so you stay in the challenge but with an asterisk against it . What do other people think ?
Turbo rides WILL only be allowed under a declaration of self isolation .

bluenotebob

Veteran
I don't want to sound unduly gloomy - but I'd be surprised if anyone in the UK will stay in this Challenge doing outdoor rides this year.

Cycling of any sort is now illegal in Italy and Spain. Here in France I'm allowed to do short rides as long as I carry a "declaration" but there's no way that I'll be doing any more 50km rides in the next few months.

Given that the UK trails France by 2 or 3 weeks in taking firm/draconian action against Covid-19, then I'd expect to see similar prohibitions in the UK before the end of this month, or possibly early in April.

There's a tsunami of social change sweeping across Europe at the moment and it's heading straight for the UK. Life here is already becoming unrecognisable from just a week or two ago, and I know that it'll get a lot worse soon.

This is probably my last post on this forum for a while.

Good luck to everyone and stay well

Bob

kapelmuur

Veteran
I think @bluenotebob is right and we will also face a UK lockdown eventually.

Personally I’m unlikely to continue the challenge on my turbo. I find riding it much harder than riding outdoors, both physically and mentally. 45 minutes to an hour is plenty for me and I can’t manage 50km in that time!

There’s also an issue of fairness, not everyone has access to a turbo and also a smart machine gives options of rides including long Alpine descents that can be completed at high speed with little effort. I could do 50km that way at an average speed of 50mph!

So it’s with much regret that I bow out.

Keep fit and healthy everyone and I hope we can resume activities before too long.

Dave

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My social cycling group are basically saying bollicks to the virus and we're still meeting up for rides to the cafe.
The staff thanked us for turning up despite the hysteria going on.
I've bought a new (2nd hand) tacx trainer and the speed/cadence sensor is being delivered today, purely for getting into shape as I'm way out of it.
I can understand others reasons for being careful etc but no, I'm not having some bloody nasty bug keep me off the bike. The weather did enough of that this year.

Domus

Guru
Up in Grange for a few days. Very strange times. Spent most of Wednesday washing the caravan, spoke to no one apart from Senior Management who was directing operations. Out this morning to ride to Arnside, only spoke to woman who served me a coffee in the Jazz Café in Arnside. Completed 68 sunny Kms in almost complete isolation.
Lots of solo riders about and a few walkers in ones and twos.
We are indeed living in challenging times.

C R

Guru
Fourth qualifying ride this month, but it will be the last for some time. I think it would probably be irresponsible to continue riding in the current situation.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Completed a 104Km ride yesterday in splendid isolation

Blaby - Countesthorpe - Willoughby Waterlys - Asby Magna - Dunton Bassett -Folesworth - Claybrooke Magna- Monks Kirby - Withybrook - Shilton -Brinklow - Caithron - Easenhall - Pailton - Monks Kirby (loop up to coal pit lane and back to MK) Claybrooke Parva - Claybroke Magna - Ullesthorpe - Ashby Parva - Kimcote - Walton Bruntingthorpe - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

wore me out though as I'd done a 22km run 3 days earlier. Maintaining social distance of course...quite easy if you pick quiet routes....

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My social cycling group are basically saying bollicks to the virus and we're still meeting up for rides to the cafe.
The staff thanked us for turning up despite the hysteria going on.
I've bought a new (2nd hand) tacx trainer and the speed/cadence sensor is being delivered today, purely for getting into shape as I'm way out of it.
I can understand others reasons for being careful etc but no, I'm not having some bloody nasty bug keep me off the bike. The weather did enough of that this year.

And in other news, I found out this morning that the council have shut down our social rides. Sigh.

Domus

Guru
Been out this morning for my one lot of exercise, Not too much traffic, a few joggers, dog walkers and a few bikes, mainly solo but two mountain bikers in Harwood so close together I honestly thought they were on a tandem. :eek:
Had a "Café stop" at the top of the climb from Belmont to Rivington with two parked cars for company.
I call this pic "Coffee and cake, lockdown style"

IMG_0659.jpg

ps First outing this year for summer bike, it was lovely. :smooch:

lane

Veteran
I went out Sunday afternoon and was not happy with the amount of people about and that I was coming into close contact with. Hence cut the ride short and did not get 50 km (not that I need it as have other rides this month). I am thinking about a very early start at the weekend and pick a route I think will be quiet see how that goes.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
My thoughts on the challenge during lockdown . The government adviced allows you to cycle but a line about minimizing time outside sort of makes riding 50km an issue . If the lockdown last just the 3 weeks we will have 2 weekends to get a ride in . However I fear it may last longer .If this occurs I am suggesting everyone gets a bye for April and I will reassess the challenge at that time . I will still log rides for anyone for chooses to carry on riding (I will probably carry on) but do not want to encourage anyone else to do so
There will be no monthly update and no nudge list for the same reason
Stay safe everyone
Edit UK government advice please follow your own governments advice for on continental riders

Last edited:
Top Bottom