The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have done some very windy rides in that area. I suffered terrible headwinds for a week once until coming down into that valley. We finally picked up a fantastic tailwind and were virtually freewheeling at over 50 km/hr SE through Jalon on CV-750 towards Benissa.
Yes, it pushed us from Xalo all the way back to Benissa and outwards up the hill towards calpe! Freaky....

........Anyway, In a much colder setting and arguably not as glam (though no less beautiful) I managed a cheeky loop round Charnwood Forest, taking advantage of the dry weather to squeeze a point in. Desperately needed, and a welcome break from number crunching on Zwift!

aferris2

Guru
March ride completed. This was my first opportunity for a ride having crossed the Nullabor. There's a good loop along the coast and back past the pink lake but that's only about 40 km so had to add a bit extra by going back into the town, using the very good cycle path. I started off with a gentle tail wind but that turned towards the south and got much stronger by tbe end of the ride. More hills again so I am beginning to get used to them. Still enjoy going down them more. Was almost tempted to stay in the draught of a caravan going down but decided against it, prefering the view to the extra speed. 68.8 kmh was probably fast enough.

Slick

Guru
I have 5 of the in laws snoozing in the spare rooms up the stairs and I'm thinking after entertaining them all weekend I deserve a bit of me time on the bike but all my bike gear is kept in the room where the mother in law is sleeping and there is just no way I'm venturing in there to get it. :eek:
I'm hoping that it either starts to rain or one of the kids gets up soon and I can send them in. :okay:

Slick

Guru
Finally got out this morning but didn't get very far before I realised I had bitten off much more than I could handle.

Wind was as tough as I'd known so tried to negate it by changing my route but eventually I had to face facts and head for home with no more than 15 miles completed. There will be better days.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I set off yesterday morning intending to make the most of a rare day of semi-decent weather and do a metric half to Otley and back, but within a couple of miles from home my right knee was giving me a bit of jip.
I stuck with it, but after the very steady climb up Alwoodley Lane from the A61 to King Lane it was clear that whatever was wrong was getting worse, so I turned for home, not wanting to risk having the much longer and steeper climbs out of Otley on the return journey with it as there aren't really any bale out options.

Still, much like @Slick above at least I got a ride in, even it it was just under 15 miles. Maybe we need to start a Quarter Century Challenge...:rolleyes:

No idea what is up with the knee, other than general decrepitness - I really am falling apart these days. It seems fine walking about, but on the bike or turbo trainer it certainly isn't.
Rest for a few days and fingers crossed for next weekend.

C R

Guru
Second ride with my new bike. Dry and mostly sunny, and bloody windy too. I am really liking the new bike, I need to tweak the seat position a smidgen, and the rear shifting is slightly noisy now it has settled, but the ride comfort is a world apart compared to my other bike. I can see myself riding significantly longer distances in this bike.

Domus

Guru
My first 3 pointer of the year. 101.6 Kms complete with wind, showers, a nice pub lunch and shocking driving in Manchester City centre. Very poor from two Black cabs and one bus. One section of Deansgate has 2 different inside lanes as left turn only, both had Black cabs drive straight on when I was in the correct lane almost squashing me between them and the car on my right, both incidents about 100 metres apart. Then on the climb up to Prestwich the bus in question gave me room in the cycle lane but when the cycle lane ended he came into the kerb giving no room at all. I wonder where he expected me to go? Professional drivers?

The second of my eight days off work (no, not self isolation- burning up
my holiday days before month end) saw me venture out to Nevill Holt just north of Market Harborough. I’d been told about this place and the two climbs up to it and so it came onto my radar. It was a reciprocal route so from home it’s SE and thus the return is NW. The wind was a strong SW so a crosswind for the entirety of the ride was what I had to endure. The early onslaught of hail and passing rain showers soon gave way to bright sunshine and it remained like this throughout.
Knowing there were two climbs up to my intended destination-one steep, the other very steep I made sure I hit them both so I could go home knowing they were off the list! The very steep one was into a headwind so it’s fair to say no land speed record was broken! But it’s done, chalked off so no immediate need to return to it lol!
Slipped into Cafe Ventoux on the way back after about a year or so. Still a nice looking place but a total rip off! Five quid for a bacon sandwich just because it was on posh looking seeded bread was hardly justification for such an expense. Ah well, there’s literally nothing else around for miles so I guess they can charge what they want.
The rest of the journey was just back the way I came. Beautiful rolling countryside (except skirting round Leicester lol!) A tough day’s riding, strong winds and lots of climbing but nonetheless enjoyable.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Off work today, good weather for a ride but I've got a shed load of stuff to do that can't be moved, so there is no chance. :sad:
Tomorrow I'm as free as a bird but the forecast is for a windy monsoon...:rolleyes:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I seem to be doing more or less the same route for my Challenge rides this year. It’s a good loop that offers some variations in the middle, and a flexible ending, depending on how I’m feeling. It’s a loop that works when the wind is from the SW or W, and it feels like that’s the only wind that we’ve had all year. And what a lot of wind we've had ..

A couple of photos below … my bike having a rest while I took some photos of the charming little chapelle at St Brieuc-des-Bois

Domus

Guru
Very sunny this morning so decided to visit mum in her care home in Chorley got there just as they were putting signs on the door putting the home in lockdown. Went through Rivington into Horwich to my usual café to find I was their only customer. Had my beans on toast and double espresso then a chap came in for a cup of tea. Can't see small businesses surviving too long if this panic continues. A friend told me his usual supermarket delivery was late as the drop off before his was £540.00 worth of tinned food, shameful behaviour in my opinion.

The second of my eight days off work (no, not self isolation- burning up
my holiday days before month end) saw me venture out to Nevill Holt just north of Market Harborough. I’d been told about this place and the two climbs up to it and so it came onto my radar. It was a reciprocal route so from home it’s SE and thus the return is NW. The wind was a strong SW so a crosswind for the entirety of the ride was what I had to endure. The early onslaught of hail and passing rain showers soon gave way to bright sunshine and it remained like this throughout.
Knowing there were two climbs up to my intended destination-one steep, the other very steep I made sure I hit them both so I could go home knowing they were off the list! The very steep one was into a headwind so it’s fair to say no land speed record was broken! But it’s done, chalked off so no immediate need to return to it lol!
Slipped into Cafe Ventoux on the way back after about a year or so. Still a nice looking place but a total rip off! Five quid for a bacon sandwich just because it was on posh looking seeded bread was hardly justification for such an expense. Ah well, there’s literally nothing else around for miles so I guess they can charge what they want.
The rest of the journey was just back the way I came. Beautiful rolling countryside (except skirting round Leicester lol!) A tough day’s riding, strong winds and lots of climbing but nonetheless enjoyable.

Theres also a cafe in Hallaton behind a pub.

Ice2911

Über Member
February update we have 34 riders fully posted up with 1 rider who's done a ride but yet to update the thread . However I not sure I should allow this ride as during February as most of us battled the wind and rain and multiple storms a certain @Chris Doyle sat it out doing a bit of zwifting then casually flew out to Calpe at the end of the month and did a qualifying ride in 23 degrees . Lucky b*\*%≤d !!!. Should we allow it ? .2 riders yet to declare in @StuartG and @Ice2911 . @Cranky Knee Girl has counted herself out as she has not done a separate 50km ride which is a shame
Hopefully that's the worst month over ,well done everyone that was a tough month
Hi I edited by January ride and did post before the end of the month, honest Guv!

Top Bottom