The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
So glad I did my February qualifying ride on the 1st - didn't do another for the rest of the month due to terrible weather conditions, having to work overtime and generally feeling under the weather for all the other weekends. Given that, I thought it best to also get my March ride in at the first opportunity just in case!

While I have been Zwifting in the meantime, my lack of outdoor biking does tend to show when I get back on the proper bike, especially when trying to ride with strong winds like there were today. Planned a route that meant leaving my hometown in a north-easterly direction (i.e. with the wind behind me), then arriving back into the opposite side of town at the end to also give me a tailwind and then just plotting a route between them that tried to keep the wind as a head/cross for as much as possible. Think I was reasonably successful - there were only a few points, all of which fairly short, where I was spinning directly into the wind and I could cope with that. Easily reached my 50km, then added on a few local loops to boost the distance unnecessarily, just because I could.

Maybe allow @Chris Doyle this one, on condition that he logs two qualifying rides during the following two storms in the UK.
Say what you like about the weather, but February and March are done!
Seriously though it’s nice to be back outdoors again as I have had a touch of cabin fever just zwifting for the last several weeks due to pure lack of motivation.
Hopefully this Spanish adventure can give me the kick up the you-know-what that I need.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I set off with the best of intentions in the bright sunshine this morning and made brisk progress for the first 10 miles.
Then I turned into the wind!
I knew it was bad when a strong gust almost stopped me dead - on a descent! Then when getting a sidewind and getting blown across the road I decided that discretion was the best option and rode home short of the 50km.
Got 14 Strava PRs with the tail wind as a consolation!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I set off with the best of intentions in the bright sunshine this morning and made brisk progress for the first 10 miles.
Then I turned into the wind!
I knew it was bad when a strong gust almost stopped me dead - on a descent! Then when getting a sidewind and getting blown across the road I decided that discretion was the best option and rode home short of the 50km.
Got 14 Strava PRs with the tail wind as a consolation!
I will let you off without a official warning as safety has to come first . This wind is getting boring now

Finished off the Spanish adventure with another crack at coll de rates, this time the proper way. The windiest ride I have ever done bar none- at Parcent (the base of the climb) it was recorded today at 51mph! We got it behind us going up there and although my mate Will stole a march on me I did catch him back up but he got wise to my tactic of dropping him on the last turn and turned on the gas, finishing about 9sec ahead of me!
Basically, the already cut route was cut further as it was far too dangerous to descend the other side due to the severe winds.

it’s been a great trip and a great motivation to get me off Zwift and back outdoors!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Finished off the Spanish adventure with another crack at coll de rates, this time the proper way. The windiest ride I have ever done bar none- at Parcent (the base of the climb) it was recorded today at 51mph! We got it behind us going up there and although my mate Will stole a march on me I did catch him back up but he got wise to my tactic of dropping him on the last turn and turned on the gas, finishing about 9sec ahead of me!
Basically, the already cut route was cut further as it was far too dangerous to descend the other side due to the severe winds.

it’s been a great trip and a great motivation to get me off Zwift and back outdoors!
I have done some very windy rides in that area. I suffered terrible headwinds for a week once until coming down into that valley. We finally picked up a fantastic tailwind and were virtually freewheeling at over 50 km/hr SE through Jalon on CV-750 towards Benissa.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I've been itching to try out (on a longer ride) some new bib-shorts I got the other day. So, seeing the sun, I grabbed Pasty #1 The Carbon, donned The Big Daddy garb and got in March's qualifying. (It was several loops out and and around as I didn't want to tempt fate - I'm just getting over a bad reaction to some antibiotics and I wanted 'outs' if needed.)
I did take time to stop and take photographs. Here's one at Levington.

photo 2 (1).JPG

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
What a lovely day!
Out the door at 9.30am sharp for my ride with the social cycle group. There was maybe 15 or more of us holding up the traffic through Bolton in the sunshine. Yes, SUNSHINE! :eek:
The diabetes played nice again and after a cup of tea or 2 at the garden centre cafe at Bradley Fold (see? Radcliffe, sort of) we returned to Bolton in WARM sunshine. Yes you read that correctly, it was warm! :ohmy: ish!
I decided it was too nice a day and too rare an occurrence to just go home and so I devised a plan to rack up a few extra miles for March's 50k.
Despite some dips**ts attempt to take me out on the Beehive roundabout (again) I made it into Horwich, then onto Rivington and after some hefty but slow climbing I plummeted into Belmont.
Almost back in the hellhole that is Bolton I was in the cycle lane on the A675 when a big Warbutons wagon came up behind me and instead of squeezing past like most muppits do, this gentleman slowed right down behind me, waited till the other lane was clear and passed me in the oncoming lane. When I figured out what he was doing I gave him the thumbs up while he was still behind and when he'd got in front, he gave a friendly toot on the horn! Instant smile on my face! That made my day! ^_^
After a short detour to make up the last few K's I got home with 51k on the clock.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/45342974

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
a big Warbutons wagon came up behind me and instead of squeezing past like most muppits do, this gentleman slowed right down behind me, waited till the other lane was clear and passed me in the oncoming lane. When I figured out what he was doing I gave him the thumbs up while he was still behind and when he'd got in front, he gave a friendly toot on the horn! Instant smile on my face! That made my day! ^_^
It makes such a difference, doesn't it! I always thank considerate drivers too.

Domus

Guru
Also out just after 09.00 braving the mad yummy mummys on the school run, made it safely to MK Cycles for coffee before Belmont Road to Abbey Village, cut the corner through Withnell to visit mum in Chorley. Met John in Frederick's for lunch then back home through Adlington, Rivington and Bolton. 62.8 Kms in some sunshine and low winds. Has spring sprung?

C R

Guru
What a lovely day!
Out the door at 9.30am sharp for my ride with the social cycle group. There was maybe 15 or more of us holding up the traffic through Bolton in the sunshine. Yes, SUNSHINE! :eek:
The diabetes played nice again and after a cup of tea or 2 at the garden centre cafe at Bradley Fold (see? Radcliffe, sort of) we returned to Bolton in WARM sunshine. Yes you read that correctly, it was warm! :ohmy: ish!
I decided it was too nice a day and too rare an occurrence to just go home and so I devised a plan to rack up a few extra miles for March's 50k.
Despite some dips**ts attempt to take me out on the Beehive roundabout (again) I made it into Horwich, then onto Rivington and after some hefty but slow climbing I plummeted into Belmont.
Almost back in the hellhole that is Bolton I was in the cycle lane on the A675 when a big Warbutons wagon came up behind me and instead of squeezing past like most muppits do, this gentleman slowed right down behind me, waited till the other lane was clear and passed me in the oncoming lane. When I figured out what he was doing I gave him the thumbs up while he was still behind and when he'd got in front, he gave a friendly toot on the horn! Instant smile on my face! That made my day! ^_^
After a short detour to make up the last few K's I got home with 51k on the clock.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/45342974
I saw the sun through the window of the conference room of the hotel where I am spending the week near Piccadilly Gardens. Alas, no cycling for me, only PowerPoints :sad:.

Top Bottom