The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hmmm...another rubbish forecast with hardly any rain and no wind of note this morning despite the for telling of doom yesterday. I didn't have time for a qualifying ride after arranging other stuff based on it though, so it was just a quick 10k on the turbo.

Now tomorrow will be wet and windy apparently - do they really have a clue?

C R

Guru
Hmmm...another rubbish forecast with hardly any rain and no wind of note this morning despite the for telling of doom yesterday. I didn't have time for a qualifying ride after arranging other stuff based on it though, so it was just a quick 10k on the turbo.

Now tomorrow will be wet and windy apparently - do they really have a clue?
I hope they are wrong for tomorrow. I have a 75k sportive meant to be taking place during the worst of it, :sad:

Today’s forecasted monsoon never materialised (cheers @NorthernDave, or shall I call you Michael Fish? Haha) and so I headed out on another big ride, this time with my Team TBC compadres. Setting off from Melbourne near Derby at 0800, I quickly met up with the others and off we went on a fairly flattish ride out to Caffe Velo Verde just north of Bingham. Before we got there though we stopped at RaceHub in Six Hills, tanked it from there through Melton Mowbray, into the vale of Belvoir and stopped off at Cafe Allez at Belvoir Castle. Dropping down the hill from here we hit it hard through the flat lanes of the vale and arrived at our target destination after 66 miles. Leaving here in a SW direction towards Nottingham was quite blowy and one of the crew was coughing and barking like a good ‘un (uh-oh.....) so we towed him back as best we could. Quite dramatic as expected heading through Nottingham and out to Long Eaton and Derby and plenty of road rage to be had, we stopped off at a bar at Pride Park stadium for a pint which was ridiculously quiet given the current situation and from there back down the cloud trail towards Melbourne. 102 miles to the good, and a great month thus far for me points wise. Great day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
No plans today but a phone call from big Sis last night do I fancy breakfast at Nice Pie ,yes obviously . Nice Pie is my favourite cafe stop and happens to be 16.1 miles from home so a perfect destination for a 50km ride . Awoke this morning at its properly raining :rain: so any unplanned early miles where put out of mind . Out the door at 0950 and it's raining night not too bad direct route via Sileby ,Seagrave .Sister past me in her car 100 yds before the cafe . The cafe was quieter than normal . A relaxed stop chatting away but before long it's time to face the headwind home . Basically reversed the route home only got slightly wet . 32.6 miles in the bag

C R

Guru
A very wet 75km Ride the Reservoir Sportive. Looking at the forecast last night I was considering not going, but when I woke up this morning it seemed less apocalyptic than forecast, so I went anyway. By the time I got to the registration the rain was starting, and it rained for the first 50km. Anyway, it was fun, and hopefully next year it will be drier and I'll get to see more of the landscape.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out this morning after some industrial grade faffery, with the forecast rain nowhere to be seen although it was quite breezy.
Unfortunately my knee started up again less than 1.5 miles in and although I tried to push through I eventually had to turn for home again
Total distance 9.9 miles. :sad:

I am now getting slightly concerned about the challenge and I'm glad there are still another two weekends this month.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Fingers crossed @NorthernDave . As much as I like cajoling people to get out and ride 50km your health must come first do not push it too much and do permanent damage just for the sake of the challenge . Have you been to any medical professionals or a bike fitter ? to find the cause of the problem . Have you altered anything on the bike ?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Fingers crossed @NorthernDave . As much as I like cajoling people to get out and ride 50km your health must come first do not push it too much and do permanent damage just for the sake of the challenge . Have you been to any medical professionals or a bike fitter ? to find the cause of the problem . Have you altered anything on the bike ?

No, I've not made any changes to the bike (or the one that is on the turbo either). I did have a some knee grumbles a few years ago and my GP gave me some exercises that helped - to be honest with everything else that's happened in the last few months I've neglected doing them so I've started them and hope they'll help.
The odd thing is that it's really only on the bike otherwise it's generally ok, just a bit achy now and then.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After what seemed like months of rubbish weather, today was sunny with light winds. After painting the shower room, off I went. I'm not doing the miles I was the past 2 years, so it was nice to do what I guess has become a different route now. Through Staines to Wraysbury and onwards to Eton Dorney where they're filming something. Couple of laps of the lake and home via a very quiet Windsor.
35.2 miles in the bag, could've kept going TBH but apparently I need to paint the bedroom.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got this months qualifing ride in over the weekend. Not as long (34 miles) as I was hoping for but I'd been up on the roof all they day before scraping off moss and due to being in uncofortable positions i was quite stiff around the glutes. I'm sure I didn't have problems like this years ago, seemed I could do anything and get away with it the next day!

kapelmuur

Veteran
It’s with great regret that I’m retiring from the challenge.

As an over 70, slightly wobbly cyclist with a tendency to fall off (only once with serious consequences though) I’ve decided that I can’t risk injury and needing medical treatment in view of the current pressure the NHS finds itself under.

This decision is made easier by the fact that I can do virtual rides on my smart trainer in the safety of my home.

Hoping to be back next year and good luck to everyone who stays with the challenge.

Top Bottom