The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
My thoughts on the challenge during lockdown . The government adviced allows you to cycle but a line about minimizing time outside sort of makes riding 50km an issue . If the lockdown last just the 3 weeks we will have 2 weekends to get a ride in . However I fear it may last longer .If this occurs I am suggesting everyone gets a bye for April and I will reassess the challenge at that time . I will still log rides for anyone for chooses to carry on riding (I will probably carry on) but do not want to encourage anyone else to do so
There will be no monthly update and no nudge list for the same reason
Stay safe everyone
Edit UK government advice please follow your own governments advice for on continental riders
What about making this year's target at least 12 rides of 50km? I know some of you have already achieved it, for the rest of us should be achievable even if we have to skip two or three months. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
What about making this year's target at least 12 rides of 50km? I know some of you have already achieved it, for the rest of us should be achievable even if we have to skip two or three months. Any thoughts?
Basically like the government I'm making it up as I go and making plans for a very uncertain future so nothing is ruled out . The amount of time of the lockdown is the key to everything which we don't know for certain so making firm plans is impossible so it's a case of wait and see

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
With my Health and Safety PPE on, these are my thoughts: any H&S issue is a question of hazard and risk. The hazards for solo riding are unwittingly spreading contaminated fluids into the environment and/or having an accident. The risks? Well, the first is currently unknown (but in my opinion, even it proves to be moderately high, the only thing you'll contaminate is the road), and the second is negligible (particularly with less traffic on the roads). I shall be continuing with my endeavours, as normal, but it is a decision that lies sorely with the individual. Stay safe. Live long and prosper.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
This^^^

As much as I don't want to get it, I feel the cat is out of the bag and one way or another whether I like it or not, I'm gonna get it despite whatever precautions I take.
When you consider all the crap and billions of different germs on the roads, staying off them to evade one particular bug seems a bit overkill to me.
I'm a bit reluctant to stick the bike on the turbo and pedal indoors because the kids are at home now. I know they'll laugh their arses off at me. Erin has already ridiculed me for it. Shannon will no doubt take it a step further.

Domus

Guru
Out again this morning, a little earlier and went through Walshaw and Edgworth and climbed Green Arms Road for a change and less traffic. 👍
Just before the turn to Green Arms Road I was in a low gear ready for the sharp right turn and short, steep ramp, a chap came past me with a cheery "Good Morning" and then said "You should be burning ME off, I'm 61" I replied "well I'm 65" :laugh:
Very quiet again from Belmont to Rivington, a few bikes, joggers and dog walkers on a very sunny morning.

We have just updated our rides for March in the Half century and metric century challenges, but that will be us on hold for a bit. Alison is in the 12 week 'shielding' group, so no outdoor riding and it wouldn't really be cricket for Rob (or Rob and Stig) to go off out leaving her to watch. So we managed to buy a cheap turbo trainer and are currently learning how to use that. We might be able to manage a 50km 'ride' each indoors for April and May, but NO WAY will we manage a century on it! If Alison is allowed out to play before the end of June we will try to pick up again then.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Top marks for being sensible
That's the first time anyone's accused me of that! :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's effectively what the Lunacy Challenge is, except it is for 13 rides of an arbitrary distance. You are welcome to switch to that.

With the COVID situation getting worse I have decided to drop out of this year's '50' challenge and focus on getting the best possible Lunacy Challenge result later in the year if/when longer rides become less of an issue.

Until then I will stick to doing local rides of no more than an hour to get some fresh air and will do harder sessions on my turbo trainer to get fit.

Stay healthy everyone and (hopefully!) see you for the 2021 Half Century Challenge. :hello:

C R

Guru
That's effectively what the Lunacy Challenge is, except it is for 13 rides of an arbitrary distance. You are welcome to switch to that.

With the COVID situation getting worse I have decided to drop out of this year's '50' challenge and focus on getting the best possible Lunacy Challenge result later in the year if/when longer rides become less of an issue.

Until then I will stick to doing local rides of no more than an hour to get some fresh air and will do harder sessions on my turbo trainer to get fit.

Stay healthy everyone and (hopefully!) see you for the 2021 Half Century Challenge. :hello:
Sounds like a plan, though maybe we are lucky and we can resume normal business by the end of April, I am feeling positive today.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
April done this morning. Very quiet out there, I stuck to the roads and avoided Windsor Great Park which can be very busy (though they have shut all the car parks, so maybe not now). Cold it was, with Garmin saying 1C as I went out through Chobham, felt like it too. A little over 32 miles, and I despite much reduced mileage as a result of being self isolated for 2 weeks, I'm reckoning on being OK for the cycle commute to work in the morning.

Domus

Guru
Very quiet here also, new route for me, Holcombe Hill from the Greenmount side into Haslingden, up to Edenfield then the road to Owd Betts. I could count the cars that went past me on the fingers of one hand. Down into Rochdale then Bury and home. Never done Holcombe Hill from that side before a nice change with a completely different perspective. Very few bikes spotted, couple of dog walkers and only three joggers.
Blooming cold wind :cold:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Why not give everyone who cannot ride in April a free pass. Those who can ride, carry on as normal.

By May, it looks like some restrictions will start being lifted.
More or less that's what's I'm thinking . In theory UK lockdown ends with 2 weekends left in April which should give most of us a chance to get a ride in .But I fear in will last longer . I do not yet want to issue a free pass yet ,but anyone who can't get a ride in for genuine reason ie health issues or different government restrictions will get a bye for April but at the moment I would prefer to do it case by case

Top Bottom