The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forgot to say that I managed a nice 34mile ride after work yesterday. Headed out on some local roads fresh from reading the latest Cycling UK advice on exercise. Dropped down through Tonge and out the back of Breedon. A strong headwind and then a squally shower buffeted me on the way towards Ashby. Turned off and back into Worthington the headed up to Top Brand - climb felt easier than previously! Pootled back to Diseworth then to East Leake where I climbed one hill to find the road blocked at the top!! Back down then up Castle Hill and back to Lufbra. A lovely ride all in all!

My 2nd ride completed in this challenge, 32.5 miles from the coast to the Southdowns and back to another part of the coast, then 10 miles back home.
Quite a few cyclists out on the country lanes, and a little hilly ( for me) with a potential 40 miles straight up and back to do in the summer, to Petworth.
Having 2 points feels good,and I’m really enjoying the effort to get out and do these.
Images to follow in other threads.
2 points 😂😂

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Finally off the mark for February . I think that's the latest I left it but it wasn't through choice ,missed the first weekend due to work and bad weather then during the week I tweaked a muscle in my back at work resulting in 10 days off the bike which is unheard of for me . This time last week I was still struggling and things were not really improving . Thankfully the rest paid off and I was back on the hybrid on Thursday and today the road bike was wheeled out . I set off hoping to do 50km but knew the route had plenty of bail outs .The back held out but riding on the drops was a bit uncomfortable. Did a standard loop out to Wymeswold and surprised myself by doing it in under 2hrs when I wasn't really pushing on . Hopefully the back will have no reaction and I might try another tomorrow

Willd

Veteran
Well that was hard work :wacko: 50.6 miles in ever decreasing circles. Miles 19-25 face first into a 13 mph moderate breeze. Only 31 feet up per mile which made it a bit easier though 😄. Looking forward to going 25 miles away once lock-down is over. I'm sure I could do an animal shaped route, but that's one for another thread.
1613831702004.png

Finally off the mark for February . I think that's the latest I left it but it wasn't through choice ,missed the first weekend due to work and bad weather then during the week I tweaked a muscle in my back at work resulting in 10 days off the bike which is unheard of for me . This time last week I was still struggling and things were not really improving . Thankfully the rest paid off and I was back on the hybrid on Thursday and today the road bike was wheeled out . I set off hoping to do 50km but knew the route had plenty of bail outs .The back held out but riding on the drops was a bit uncomfortable. Did a standard loop out to Wymeswold and surprised myself by doing it in under 2hrs when I wasn't really pushing on . Hopefully the back will have no reaction and I might try another tomorrow

Sorry to hear about the back, was wondering why you'd not been out. Thought it was just the cold!!

All I'll say is take it easy on the back and stretch it out as best you can for a while. Cycling isn't great for flexibility!

Jonjay

Über Member
Well that’s Feb done. A fairly slow and slightly hungover 50k taking in Wimbledon and a couple of laps of Richmond Park. Only the second time I’ve ever been to the park despite living near by. First was last week when it was freezing. With it being warmer today I now see what people mean by getting slowed down by cars. The place was packed. Still a lovely place to ride a bike though.
Was quite hard work especially the last 5, with seemingly a headwind everywhere. Not helped by the second half of the ride my bike forgetting how to shift. Fine going up the cassette but going down jumps all the way to the small cog with one click, every bloody time. Feels like the lever clicks multiple times. Tried adjusting the barrel at the mech and shifter but made no difference. Glad to get another point in the bag.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well that’s Feb done. A fairly slow and slightly hungover 50k taking in Wimbledon and a couple of laps of Richmond Park. Only the second time I’ve ever been to the park despite living near by. First was last week when it was freezing. With it being warmer today I now see what people mean by getting slowed down by cars. The place was packed. Still a lovely place to ride a bike though.
Was quite hard work especially the last 5, with seemingly a headwind everywhere. Not helped by the second half of the ride my bike forgetting how to shift. Fine going up the cassette but going down jumps all the way to the small cog with one click, every bloody time. Feels like the lever clicks multiple times. Tried adjusting the barrel at the mech and shifter but made no difference. Glad to get another point in the bag.
Well done ,nice steady progress

C R

Guru
Two Sundays, and two rides, similar route, but completely different weather. Last Sunday was cold and blooming windy, really hard work.

Today spring like, almost overdressed, no wind, and already a hint of sunlight when setting off at 6:30. An altogether much more enjoyable ride, but my legs still need more work to get back to last autumn's fitness, it is amazing how much "damage" a month off the bike has done.

aferris2

Guru
February ride done and I was beginning to think that it was never going to happen. With lockdown and the cold weather recently, the mojo was missing completely. Found it in the shed sitting in the bike.
What fantastic weather today. Should have worn shirts and three layers was definitely too much. Lots of people out enjoying the fine weather. Thankfully most of the cyclists were going the other way so I wasn't completely humiliated by my lack of pace. Anyway it was far too warm to rush about the countryside.
Now, just need to work on the fitness a bit...

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
February ride done and I was beginning to think that it was never going to happen. With lockdown and the cold weather recently, the mojo was missing completely. Found it in the shed sitting in the bike.
What fantastic weather today. Should have worn shirts and three layers was definitely too much. Lots of people out enjoying the fine weather. Thankfully most of the cyclists were going the other way so I wasn't completely humiliated by my lack of pace. Anyway it was far too warm to rush about the countryside.
Now, just need to work on the fitness a bit...
You still in Aus ? ,the place names have a very English ring to them

aferris2

Guru
You still in Aus ? ,the place names have a very English ring to them
Sadly not. Visa ran out at the end of August so had to return. We always had the idea of spending 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Aus every year but it doesn't look like we will be allowed back to Aus until the end of the year at the earliest. Will have to live on memories for the moment. We still have an enormous area to explore down under!

Fergs

Guru
Finally made it round 50+km for Feb, today. Woohoo! Made up for the previous fortnight.
Last week’s time window for riding was taken up with fitting a new gear cable and cleaning the gunge off the bike. 0km. The previous week a gear cable snapped just before the 20km mark, so I rode home single speed, tweaking the route to minimise uphills and add a little distance to compensate for turning home slightly early. Once home, I congratulated myself on saving the 50 and checked the full distance to maximise my smugness. 48.4 km. Doh!

Gibbo9

Veteran
Two rides to update on today.

Saturdays ride was meant to be 100k but as I started out late I had to turn for home early so as not to spoil the rest of the day with the better half.
I took a bit of a different route but still keeping things very flat until the new bike arrives. It was a beautiful morning if a little chilly at first.

View from the riverside path back towards the city.
16.jpg

101 just visible through the morning haze (in fairness it's probably smog).
17.jpg

This mornings ride was very nice. I was up at 0430 to make a start time of around 0515, this meant it was dark when I set off. No bad thing when the weather is going to be good as the riverside gets very busy with people out for morning exercise. Set off nice and steady but felt quite good after about 15k so upped the pace a little. Still fairly heavy legs which means an extended rest may be needed. It was amazing watching the sunrise over the city this morning, I just wish I had caught it on camera.

Just after sunrise. The sun is just out of shot to the right but you can clearly see it reflecting off the top of 101.
18.jpg

Domus

Guru
After a busy and wet week I was so anxious to be out on the bike this morning I set off before the Wahoo had acquired satellites. :wacko:
With the weather improving from the west I headed out that way towards Frederick's in Chorley. I was soon bathed in quite warm sunshine and blue skies all around. It was so nice I climbed up Matchmoor Lane once again to get fantastic views across Lancashire to the coast. Another 52 Kms and another point in the bag.

Wow, don’t think I’ve ever known you to take a day off the bike, let alone 10! Rest well and recover mate, back injuries are awful -especially in the wrong place - and I can empathise first hand with you on this!
I’m taking a week off myself to recover from concussion and overtraining so suffice to say that I won’t be doing anything else for Feb.

Top Bottom