The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
No messing about this month off work on the 1st so bagged a 50km loop out to Ragdale and I seem to be the first to post this month

A lot chillier than yesterday ? Was underdressed today
Yeah it was much fresher today for sure! Like you, I was also underdressed but the only place I really felt it was in my fingers which were so numb that at one stage I couldn’t change gear! Luckily there were not many climbs to warrant regular changing!

Anyway March is done, a much colder spin up to the Beehive cafe at Rosliston and back home. Steady paced just like yesterday but nice and rolling terrain rather than hilly. A nice touch of active recovery. As I have a lot of long weekends this month I’m hoping to get some good rides in, weather permitting of course!

31.37 in 1:52.

Domus

Guru
Chilly but sunny this morning, not rained for a few days so it was summer bike and cycle shoes (with toe warmers)
Cracking views under a bright blue sky. 63 Kms and 900 metres of upness. Strava says I managed 21 PBs. :wacko: Who am I to argue. I suspect they are all by a few seconds as I don't think the summer bike is that much quicker, it still has the same old bloke pushing the pedals.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
February update we have 33 riders fully posted up with 1 rider yet to declare ,but thanks to a bit of Strava stalking I can see a qualifying ride has been completed . The danger with posting Strava links if your rides are public I can see all your rides . Was disappointed to see a ride of 30.06 miles!!!! Come on 1.1m to go . You now who you are

Last edited:

Gibbo9

Veteran
Got out yesterday so late to post. Public holiday here in Taiwan and with the nice weather this means the riversides were completely mobbed, I had yo get off and walk a couple of times due to volume of people. Still this meant I had to take things really slowly which made the ride so much more enjoyable and was good for the legs. A full week off the bike now as I have it in for a full service and deep clean, rest week is very much needed, hopefully I can get out Sunday for a spin.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well, that was probably a PB! And for less effort! ^_^
My re-vamped Patsy #1 The Carbon Suffolk Hill-Climber is proving her worth in this challenge - 34 miles in 2 hrs 10 mins.
A few years ago I put some aerobars on a bike and managed 40 miles in a smidgen under two hours and I'm beginning wonder if that's a target I could set myself again for this year. (And gain an extra point in the challenge as a bonus. :whistle:) I still have the aerobars ...
What do you think, folks?

Well, that was probably a PB! And for less effort! ^_^
My re-vamped Patsy #1 The Carbon Suffolk Hill-Climber is proving her worth in this challenge - 34 miles in 2 hrs 10 mins.
A few years ago I put some aerobars on a bike and managed 40 miles in a smidgen under two hours and I'm beginning wonder if that's a target I could set myself again for this year. (And gain an extra point in the challenge as a bonus. :whistle:) I still have the aerobars ...
What do you think, folks?
Why the hell not? 20+ average is clearly achievable for you so barring any health problems go for it!

Domus

Guru
With a chilly easterly wind forecast I doodled a new route on RWGPS to hopefully give me a tailwind home. Strange that it never seems to work.
A bit of comedy off roading up Thornham Lane to cross the M62 was a bit naff on my summer bike but we both survived. Stopped at the Costa in Oldham for a hot drink but really cooled down standing outside drinking it and as it was all downhill to Middleton I got really cold. Soon warmed up though on the short but very steep Boardman Lane. The road through Simister goes past Heaton Park Reservoir which is at the end of The Thirlemere Aqueduct that brings water from Cumbria under gravity, no pumps involved, just a gentle slope all the way from Thirlemere to Manchester. Water flows at 4mph and it takes a day to cover the 96 miles. Another 56 Kms and another point in the bag.

Top Bottom