The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
Picked the least windy day of the weekend, still hard going in parts, tried to avoid heading East where possible :rolleyes:
Kind of a heffalump shaped route :laugh:

1615735235003.png

footloose crow

Über Member
Hands too cold to unlock the front door when I got home. Job done for March though
I know that feeling! I had to get some pliers out of the shed last month so I could turn the key.

Another three points in the bag today with a 67 mile spin around the lumpy lanes of Rutland meeting up with a mate. Three Midlands climbs chalked off as well- Launde Abbey, Kings Hill and Rockingham Hill. Breezy but dry which was nice given the last few days weather! Called in for a customary stop at Cafe Ventoux for a cake and coffee in the freezing cold.

67.5 in 4:38 with 5,300ft of up.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
After a rubbish week, fighting depression, I took my bike out after a nice walk with the dogs In daylight . Listening to music instead of a talking book. Wow! I haven’t listened to much music for a fortnight and have been getting really low. A blast of Manic Street Preachers followed by some Thunder really helped so, once home, I loaded a couple of eps of Zombie! Run. Onto my phone and headed out on the Genesis.
Yep, I had a blast. What larks. The blustery wind had dropped a bit and the rain had stopped so it wasn’t horrendous. I saw lots of deer, rabbits, 2 owls and a fox. Was hoping for a Mole, a fox and a horse but we can’t have everything. Saw quite a few horses actually.
I outran all the zombies, during the chases too. This is a good thing, obviously. My playlist plays in between the ‘mission’ bits. Brilliant storyline. I am biker 5.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
March's done, 51Km Blaby - Willoghby Waterlys - Ashby Magna - Leire - Ashby Magna - Gilmorton - Peatling Parva- Ashby Magna - Gilmorton - Kimcote - Gilmorton - Walton - Bruntingthorpe - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Now at 86Km for the month - poor by usual standards but four times the distance I'd cycled in March last year!

Gibbo9

Veteran
New bike has arrived ^_^ Picked it up last night and managed a 20km spin down by the river just to see how it felt really. Not had a proper fit only 10 minutes on the turbo in the shop to do some adjustments so I was a bit hesitant this morning in deciding what to do. Decided to just wing it, started with a few small hills then onto the riverside because I know it's easy for me to bail out from any point and head home if the bike was feeling uncomfortable.

Turns out I needn't have worried, the bike is an absolute dream to ride. Very comfortable and scary reactive to everything I have so far asked it to do. Enjoyed it so much I ended up spinning to 100k and felt great after.

The ride itself started off pleasantly enough with a beautiful sunrise over the mountains. Hills weren't much of a problem and for the first time ever I felt totally at ease going downhill at mach 6 not having to hang onto the brakes. I then proceeded to the riverside and out toward the coast where I was confronted by a wall of fog and some pretty tasty winds. Not all bad though, because when I crossed the bridge to head back inland I had a fantastic tail wind to push me along. Fog lifted as I got further inland and the final 10k were just a real pleasure. really pleased to get a ton in this month as I thought it was never going to happen due to workload.

Beautiful sunrise over the mountains this morning.
1.jpg

The offending fog, it wasn't very warm either.
3.jpg

The new bike. It really is a pleasure to ride. I consider myself very fortunate.
2.jpg

Willd

Veteran
Left my waterproof jacket at home & must have been more aerodynamic, getting under 2 hours for 50 km for the first time in a while :okay:

Guess where the 2 spots are where I crossed the river Avon :whistle:
1616258246994.png

Jonjay

Über Member
First time I’ve managed 2 points in a month. No intention of doing a 50 today, was just going out to spin the legs for a bit. Ended up on the Thames river path which was a first. Very slow with walkers but a nice little bimbl, wish I’d stayed on it to Hampton Court now that I’m home, one for next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4978971464

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
First two pointer of the year, headed west into a chilly breeze, got to Frederick's for a welcome coffee and just kept going. Into Chorley and out towards Withnell Fold and through Abbey Village and Belmont. I then realised a two pointer was within reach so along Scout Road and was thwarted by a road closed sign so plan B was put into action to loop around Doffcocker, finished on 80.9 Kms. Longest ride of the year so far.

aferris2

Guru
March ride done. Almost a repeat of my last ride because its easy. The weather was supposed to be sunny so it was a good job that I didn't believe it and wore a nice thick jacket. Only really got hot for a short time at the beginning, then was thankful for the extra layer. Lots of pairs of riders, but also a significant number of groups so there must be an alternative rulebook somewhere.
I really do need to get out more. This ride took slow to new extremes. Any slower and it might be quicker to walk!

Domus

Guru
Can't believe my twin daughters turn 38 tomorrow, 2nd lockdown birthday for them. :sad::sad:
Cycled over to Leigh to deliver card, had a coffee in the garden and went through Hindley to get home which made it into a 60 Kms ride. As we are in a childcare bubble for grandchild number 3 we will see our other daughter tomorrow. :okay:

A day off work and a sunny jolly out to Burton on Trent to pick up some straggly veloviewer tiles in the area. Had to ride up the A38 for a few miles to get one of the tiles which, although a proper cycle path at the side, there are no barriers between you and the road so it’s no less dodgy!
Called in at Mercia Marina for a coffee and with all tiles got headed home though not without cutting through the grounds of Calke Abbey. Cracking ride out.

53.6 in 3:10

Top Bottom