The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
With temperatures finally getting into the 20's, had to get the bike out. I've already done one ride for March, so decided to go for 50 miles this time. Couldn't believe the number of cyclists out still wearing longs. The sun's out so it has to be shorts. Having said that, it might have been a good idea to have bought some sun cream... Pasty white legs are now just a little red.
Headed out to Maldon and correctly guessed that the Prom would be packed. Instead, followed the coast path towards Tollesbury. Lots of people to start with, but after about a mile, there was hardly anyone else around.
More or less took the same route back and I think the sun had got to several drivers. First one decided to hold behind me as we were coming up to a blind bend. Just as we are on the bend, he decides to overtake. There wasn't anything coming the other way, but if there had been we would all have been toast.
Special mention goes to the lady who overtook me while I was indicating right for a T junction. She was turning left and only got in front because I braked hard. Why!!!!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm glad that I hadn't signed up for the 50 miler a month challenge (let alone the 100k a month version) - it's taken me until today to do the first one of the year! I've enjoyed doing a few more of the shorter 50km rides without the pressure of having to set aside 3 - 4 hours to get the longer distances completed.

Domus

Guru
Woooo, short sleeves and bib shorts today, however at my age arm warmers were worn (first 20 minutes only )
Not much wind and my Wahoo saw 18 ºC at one point :smile:.
Nice double espresso and flapjack at Frederick's 58 Kms and 750 metres of upness. April looking very busy, caravan opening up and lots of jobs need doing, so may not get too many rides in. :sad:

I’ve found it difficult to make time to cycle this month, and pondered having to stop this challenge as last weekend didn’t provide any time.
But, last night checking the weather for today, I was pleased to see the sun and wind forecast, I just had to check that a commute around my planned work day would enable a ride to work and back, giving me 32 miles.
It took a bit longer than I expected and I’ll have a couple of hours work to make up, but I did cycle, and I did extend the return journey just for the fun of it.
16 miles out, a few hours at work, and 20 miles home, making my 3rd monthly challenge total of 3 points.
Pondering when I can get April’s ride in may be equally difficult, but at least I managed, at the very last opportunity, to bag today’s ride.
And to add to the glory, I am extending each month a longer ride incrementally, which I’ll try to continue too.
Thanks for providing this challenge! 😀👏👏

Gibbo9

Veteran
Managed to squeeze in another qualifying ride last night after returning from site due to bad weather. A bit gray and mizzley here in Taipei but still very warm.

Ride was a bit of a slog for the first half, one of those days when I couldn't find the sweet spot on my saddle, numb fingers and sore feet, felt like giving up at one point. Stopped to view some folk flying remote control planes (pics below) and felt absolutely fine after. Coming into a long weekend now (tomb sweeping festival) so I am hoping to get 2 or 3 qualifying rides in over the next few days.

Really impressed with the ingenuity and tenacity of you all on here. It really can't be easy given the situation in the UK so hats of to all of you. Not sure, had I been in that situation, that I would have bothered to sign up. Kudos to you all.

Stopped off to watch the remote control planes. This is an actual runway about half a mile long that was specially built for the purpose.
22.jpg

A bit of a closer shot of some sort of passenger jumbo. This one was about 3-4ft long. As I was leaving a guy turned up with a 5-6ft long fighter jet, will get a pic of that next time :-)
21.jpg

steverob

Guru
Really impressed with the ingenuity and tenacity of you all on here. It really can't be easy given the situation in the UK so hats of to all of you. Not sure, had I been in that situation, that I would have bothered to sign up. Kudos to you all.
But that's the joy of challenges like this - it gets you out even when you feel there's plenty of excuses to stay in and not bother. Then once you are out, you feel glad that you did make that effort, because the act of cycling is wonderfully theraputic, even if sometimes the weather, the conditions and other things may sometimes persuade us otherwise!

I used to be someone whose cycling "season" would only have started about this time each year (e.g. once the clocks changed), but now partially thanks to these challenges (there are a few other reasons as well) I feel motivated enough to cycle all year round. Yes, I do far more in terms of distance in the summer months and I do spend a fair amount of time on Zwift in the winter, but there's nothing quite like riding outdoors sometimes.

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I snaffled another point today as a prelude for a target I've given myself.
A few years ago I did a sportive of 100 miles (and a training one two weeks previously) and also a smattering of 50 milers around the same time. Since then, I've only been out for long rides that take me over the qualifying distance for this challenge. So I've decided that for this year I'm going to embrace the idea behind this challenge and extend my weekly long ride by roughly 10% each time until I reach 50 miles. I've worked out a loop that I can add to, so ... wish me luck and watch this space!
Good luck!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Jan - 5 points
Feb - 6 points
Mar - 5 points

Apr 2 - 33.34 miles, 1,303ft - 1 point
Bilton, Cawston, Dunchurch, Willoughby, Braunston, Daventry, Staverton, Upper Catesby, Lower Catesby, Hellidon, Priors Marston, Marston Doles, Southam Holt, Southam, Kites Hardwick, Toft, Dunchurch, home.
I believe this completes a calender year in the challenge ? . If so although you don't get a star you get my congratulations well done

Jonjay

Über Member
Bit of a ride with a difference yesterday. got up early for a bit of a leg spin, did about 30k and then my nephew wanted to go for a ride, so him and my sister joined me. It’s the first time he’s been more than about a mile on a bike so was really impressed that he did 12 with me. Made my 50k time very slow but well worth it.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5049169670

April done. Met up with the motley crew from Nuneaton for a spin down to a McDonald’s somewhere between Coventry and Rugby. (Draycote Water??) Never been that way before in my life but it was largely flat, relatively fast for the minimal effort and bagged me quite a few new veloviewer tiles!
Apparently part of the route forms a section of the Hinckley TT course and I can see why!

A great route, nice new roads, and just good to be out in a group again!

52.9 in 3:05.

Domus

Guru
Back in almost winter kit for this mornings ride. Granddaughter's 8th birthday so had to be back quick sticks for the garden visit. Over a year since she has been here. Just got out of the shower as they arrived, a lovely couple of hours in the cool sunshine. ^_^^_^^_^.

Anyway a short, sharp, windy ride to Frederick's and back fora first April point.

Top Bottom