The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Will be interesting to see some of your routes. :okay:

A lot of my routes involve the riverside in the main. Cycle tracks along the river are all tarmac and flat with no potholes so it makes for perfect rolling. I also try to avoid the city centre at all costs due to the volume of traffic. I do get out every Saturday morning for a longer ride and this usually involves getting out into the mountains and the quiet lanes. Once I have done the first (this Saturday I hope) I will post a link and put up some pics if that is permitted on this chat forum.

Slick

Guru
A lot of my routes involve the riverside in the main. Cycle tracks along the river are all tarmac and flat with no potholes so it makes for perfect rolling. I also try to avoid the city centre at all costs due to the volume of traffic. I do get out every Saturday morning for a longer ride and this usually involves getting out into the mountains and the quiet lanes. Once I have done the first (this Saturday I hope) I will post a link and put up some pics if that is permitted on this chat forum.
It's encouraged. :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
It might take us some time to translate the Strava segments :laugh:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
So there I was hoping for an uncomplicated challenge this year then 4 days in and in the UK were in lockdown !! . Anyone hoping to join the challenge but who genuinely feel they do not want to ride outside for reasons like shielding etc .Please pm me and offer an alternative ie turbo rides and I will consider the request . As excerise is allowed outside I feel the first option is an outside ride and the excuse it's cold is not good enough .
Stay safe everyone

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Oh, I think I’ll give this ago, it’ll be my first!
I have a 32 mile return route to work, but each 16mile leg is separated by an 8 hour day, does this qualify?
Technically yes it does as you get 24 hrs to complete your ride ,however I believe it's not really in the spirit of the challenge as it's designed to get you out doing more miles and you would complete the challenge without doing anything extra so not much of a challenge. If you feel it's 1 ride and not 2 it will be allowed as it's within the rules . I normally go with if you think it counts then it counts as really your only challenging yourself

Technically yes it does as you get 24 hrs to complete your ride ,however I believe it's not really in the spirit of the challenge as it's designed to get you out doing more miles and you would complete the challenge without doing anything extra so not much of a challenge.....
Thanks for the explanation 13 rider.
I understand, so maybe I won’t use my commute, but I’m still in, just to see if I can make this work!

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
So there I was hoping for an uncomplicated challenge this year then 4 days in and in the UK were in lockdown !! . Anyone hoping to join the challenge but who genuinely feel they do not want to ride outside for reasons like shielding etc .Please pm me and offer an alternative ie turbo rides and I will consider the request . As excerise is allowed outside I feel the first option is an outside ride and the excuse it's cold is not good enough .
Stay safe everyone
Haven't got a turbo machine. Looks like I'll have to make do with 57 laps of the village....

Gibbo9

Veteran
So the rain finally stopped last night and I woke up to dry ground at last. Very cold this morning though 5 degrees (unheard of for Taipei) but only a very gentle breeze. I wrapped up warm and headed out intending to do 100k as its been almost a week since being out, however, 10k in it was clear that I wouldn't be out that long. My toes had turned to ice, the rest of me was fine so I just had to grin and bear it to push out the 50k. Still a lovely ride though. Here are some pics for you all to enjoy :-)

1610166974272.png

Obligatory selfie at the top of Cemetery Hill looking back down the valley. Nice climb this one, not too arduous and a great downhill run back into the city.

1610167210064.png

View from the bridge over the Keelung River looking back into the city and the iconic Taipei 101. This building really is a stunning thing close up.

1610167473421.png

View from just off the bridge on the banks of the Keelung river. Taipei City sits in a natural bowl and is ringed entirely by mountains. The mountains in this picture are just inland of the east coast of the island and make for some very interesting routes and climbs in the summer months.

Jonjay

Über Member
I’d love to say I’m in but given that I’ve only just got a bike (first since my teens and I’ve just turned 43) and my longest ride so far is 12 miles it may be wishful thinking to make 50k by the end of Jan.

Well I’m feeling a bit more optimistic today. Managed 27.5km and could have done more but had made a natural loop back home and couldn’t feel my feet. Bloody cold out there. When I started I thought I’d only do a couple of miles and go home.

couple more eels to get to 50.

Top Bottom