The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
After a good start to the month it's been 19 days since my last 50km qualifying ride did do 100km last week but posted it that in the metric century challenge . I have devised a local 16 mile loop keeping me away from as many villages as possible so 2 loops got me over the line . It's a fairly tough loop with 1150ft of upness without any big climbs just constant up and down .
Needed the point to keep up with @cosmicbike who's gone a bit mad this month

Hello again.

I thought I’d give this challenge a go now that my new knees are slowly returning to normal.

Managed 41 cold miles today as a starter, I should have planned a proper 50 kms route to start.
Great to have you back!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Wish I’d checked the weather forecast yesterday. Did a nice steady 20 miles yesterday thinking I’d try another 50k today with a bit of uphill practice thrown in. Woke up this morning to a blanket of bloody snow.
For someone who didn't think you could complete a 50km ride to even be thinking about another this month shows the progress you've made . You only need 1 a month so most people try and get a banker ride in early each month so you don't get caught out by stuff
Woke up this morning to a bright frosty day. Looked great for a cycle. But I walked round the corner to get milk, pavement was sheet of ice. Main roads would probably be Ok, but not risking it.
Very Sensible

Fergs

Guru
Some light snow started coming down as I left the house this morning. ‘No bother’, I think to myself ‘that won’t settle’. 20 minutes later it’s stinging my eyes and the side roads are coated. Anticipating slippery cycle paths on the home stretch, I turned tail via the main roads. Quinze kilometres, nul points.

Of course, now that the brownie points are used up, and the opportunity is gone, it’s thawing nicely.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Some light snow started coming down as I left the house this morning. ‘No bother’, I think to myself ‘that won’t settle’. 20 minutes later it’s stinging my eyes and the side roads are coated. Anticipating slippery cycle paths on the home stretch, I turned tail via the main roads. Quinze kilometres, nul points.

Of course, now that the brownie points are used up, and the opportunity is gone, it’s thawing nicely.
I got caught in the snow today was going to do 2 loops but on the first loop 3 miles from home it started to snow as a glasses wearer my problem was being able to see so 1 17 mile loop it was
Off topic your avatar intrigues me . The nearest football kit I can remember is a Leeds kit from the late 90s which was a copy of Leeds 30/40s kit ?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Possibly. Some time this year I'm going to decide to yell out 'Jenkins?' to every male rider I see. I should strike lucky eventually. :whistle:
I have a feeling you missed your chance today - if that was you heading towards the Nacton Road/A14 interchange at around 12:45 this afternoon :laugh:

Fergs

Guru
Off topic your avatar intrigues me . The nearest football kit I can remember is a Leeds kit from the late 90s which was a copy of Leeds 30/40s kit ?
Have yourself a Spotter’s badge, 13 rider! It’s Leeds from the ‘40s, being modelled by my great uncle Billy. I can’t claim to have inherited his football skills, though I was once awarded man of the match for a game that had been cancelled.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Have yourself a Spotter’s badge, 13 rider! It’s Leeds from the ‘40s, being modelled by my great uncle Billy. I can’t claim to have inherited his football skills, though I was once awarded man of the match for a game that had been cancelled.
I presumed it was an old footballer . William Furness ? Google is my friend had a long career both before and after ww2 . He even scored 2 against the mighty Leicester City when we lost 0-8 in 1934

Fergs

Guru
I presumed it was an old footballer . William Furness ? Google is my friend had a long career both before and after ww2 . He even scored 2 against the mighty Leicester City when we lost 0-8 in 1934
That’s him. Leeds, Norwich and England. I’m told he’d have had more international caps but for the war. I met him a couple of times when I was very young and have vague memories of a lovely chap.
I don’t know if he ever rode 50k on a bike, though.😁

Gibbo9

Veteran
Woke up to a lovely morning, no wind to speak of and not as cold as it has been recently. A very simple and flat river route today, I like to avoid the insane traffic if I can. Only one picture today of the sunrise over the city.

1611540333018.png

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
First ride of the year for the challenge, and well... my first outdoor ride of 2021, completed.

75.27 km (46.77 mi) - which I know @13rider will no doubt ask why oh why did I not round it up and complete the 50 miles for 2 points?! :laugh:

My response - firstly, see the second half of my first sentence. And secondly, I was knackered. 902 metres of elevation. Next time, perhaps. :angel:

Top Bottom