The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
September 29 - first ever 50K, down to Leatherhead from Highbury via Richmond Park. 1 pt, more to come hopefully!
Well done on your first 50km . The challenge is all about getting people out riding a bit further a bit more often . The challenge runs Jan to Dec to get a bronze Star that you may see in people's signature . Please feel free to post anymore 50km + rides this year and get in training for the 2022 version . Be warned in can get addictive . It's a friendly challenge and your just challenging yourself it's not a competition. Looking forward to more posts

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
October rides (over 50k)

6/10: Truro- Penzance -Truro. 110 km 1267m
10/10: Truro- Wadebridge - North coast seaside - Truro. 123 km. 1598m
17/10: Mad March audax. 103km 1226m.

Thats it for the month now as I have sciatica (or something) and my wife says no more riding!

View attachment 615379
Get well soon.
Since my recent trip to Cornwall I read your posts, reimagine those hills and then have to lie down...

Domus

Guru
Chilly but bright morning so off on the bike after 10 days or so of either biblical weather or domestic duties. Green Arms Road tackled for the first time in a few months the views across the moors were spectacular shame about the chilly head wind. Very welcome beans on toast and hot coffee in the tea room in Wheelton, then a bit of a slog through Chorley and Horwich to finish with 66.8 Kms and 940 metres of upness. :wacko:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Up and running for Nov . A day off work but had car booked in for its first service ,so bike in the back drop car off ride to favourite cafe for breakfast ,home and wait for call to collect . Got the call as I headed home with 30 miles on the clock garage 9 miles away so went the longer way to bag an imperial half 50.5 miles . Perhaps that's why the cars only got 2150 miles on it and the bikes have done 9000+ in the year

aferris2

Guru
November ride complete. Almost there!
Had to do a bit of mid ride re-planning as the roadworks up the top of Chelmsford have changed again. This time they have moved the cycle path to the other side of the road so instead of having to cross just two carriageways we now have to cross 9. Anyway, I was about 5 miles short on the total distance so had to do a quick loop down by the resevoir.
Doesn't it get dark early! Must think about getting some lights on.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
November's done - 52K Blaby -Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys - Ashby Magna - Dunton Bassett - Ashby Parva -Gilmorton - Walcote (and back up the same road to add approx 6K - Walton - Gilmorton - Peatling Parva - Peatling Magna - Arnesby - Peatling Magna -Countesthorpe - Blaby

still also trying to run 200K a month (although I'm trying for 300 this month as Ive already done 236K) - this is impacting my cycling as I have no energy left haha!

bruce1530

Guru
Last month I said:
This month has been a struggle. Not been on the bike for over a month - was a bit unwell earlier in the month, and felt very weak afterwards. And a serious lack of motivation. I'd done a fair bit of fettling to the bike - new tyres, mudguards back on for the winter - but hadn't even taken it on a test run round the block.

This month hasn't been any easier. Only out once last month, and once this month so far. Serious lack of motivation, combined with poor weather and being a wee bit under the weather.

But last night I had a covid and flu booster, and was determined to prove that I was OK :smile:

Easy trip along the coast to Largs - flat, and if I take the main road, it's exactly 20k from my house to the ferry slipway.

Cold morning, first time this year I've been in the 'winter boots".

Slow start - there was a strong wind from the north, so in my face, and the coast road is pretty exposed. Not particularly pleasant.
8k in, took a detour out to Portencross - more pleasant, as sheltered by the hill - admired the view at the car park, then took the farm road back, and then the bridleway past Hunterstion castle.

Back on the main road, back into the wind. Thru Fairlie, then followed the path past the marina and "the Pencil" and into Largs. Normally I stay on the road for that bit, but took the path to keep away from the traffic.

Arrived at Largs. Coffeee stop - but my usual cafe is closed - looks like the loss of custom during lockdown hasn't been sustainable.,
Quick coffee somewhere else, watched the world go by for 10 mins, then a loop round Largs and back home via main road.

Should have been good, with wind behind me - but the wind had dropped off :-(

Nearly home - take a loop round the town the long way to get a few extra k.

51k.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well after catching the delightful covid on 1st November, a combination of being not allowed out and recovering meant the lowest miles I've done any month for years. I managed a 9 mile ride last week and felt wrecked, so today was not without trepidation. Commute bike so I could take it easy and use towpaths, a non-hilly route and no rush. I was very determined to get it done, I've dropped the longer challenges for various reasons but this one I refuse! Tired but done, hopefully have a bit of fitness back for next month.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well after catching the delightful covid on 1st November, a combination of being not allowed out and recovering meant the lowest miles I've done any month for years. I managed a 9 mile ride last week and felt wrecked, so today was not without trepidation. Commute bike so I could take it easy and use towpaths, a non-hilly route and no rush. I was very determined to get it done, I've dropped the longer challenges for various reasons but this one I refuse! Tired but done, hopefully have a bit of fitness back for next month.
Well done great determination . I was just thinking about compiling the monthly nudge list so you missed a mention on it

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Wow well done. i had a light dose last Christmas. First ride 10 days after diagnosis was back on bike and struggled with 16km. After that it quickly returned to previous levels. Wishing you a speedy full recovery and you are entirely right to take it a bit easier. Good luck.

footloose crow

Über Member
November - I have a problem....

A slipped disc is putting pressure on my sciatic nerves. Been four weeks now and I can just about walk a mile on the flat with gritted teeth. Broken sleep, constant pain. I have been allowed by physio to use turbo trainer for up to 30 minutes twice a day so have discovered Zwift. There are even audax events on Zwift. Static cycling is relatively pain free.

But I can't cycle outside.

MRI tonight but doc thinks another 4-6 weeks before cycling any kind of distance. This happens every year....broken collar bone last year, jaundice and blocked bile duct the year before, something else the year before that. I never get a whole year done.

I was hoping all month that it would improve - and it is but not fast enough.

If I manage a 50k ride on Zwift including hills etc, would that count?? I completely understand the reasons why it wouldn't. I am not even sure I can cycle for 2.5 hours on my turbo but prepared to give it a go on the last days of the month.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
November - I have a problem....

A slipped disc is putting pressure on my sciatic nerves. Been four weeks now and I can just about walk a mile on the flat with gritted teeth. Broken sleep, constant pain. I have been allowed by physio to use turbo trainer for up to 30 minutes twice a day so have discovered Zwift. There are even audax events on Zwift. Static cycling is relatively pain free.

But I can't cycle outside.

MRI tonight but doc thinks another 4-6 weeks before cycling any kind of distance. This happens every year....broken collar bone last year, jaundice and blocked bile duct the year before, something else the year before that. I never get a whole year done.

I was hoping all month that it would improve - and it is but not fast enough.

If I manage a 50k ride on Zwift including hills etc, would that count?? I completely understand the reasons why it wouldn't. I am not even sure I can cycle for 2.5 hours on my turbo but prepared to give it a go on the last days of the month.
I was just thinking about you as I'm prepping the nudge list and had seen your post ( audax thread ?) about your injury.
I wouldn't allow turbo rides under normal circumstances but as I'm going soft these days and under these circumstances 10 months in and unable to ride outside . If your happy that it counts and it doesn't upset the majority I'm happy to let stand
Do not do yourself any damage by attempting this if your body says stop please stop

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was just thinking about you as I'm prepping the nudge list and had seen your post ( audax thread ?) about your injury.
I wouldn't allow turbo rides under normal circumstances but as I'm going soft these days and under these circumstances 10 months in and unable to ride outside . If your happy that it counts and it doesn't upset the majority I'm happy to let stand
Do not do yourself any damage by attempting this if your body says stop please stop
Wot he said:okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Top Bottom