The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I was getting worried about this month, 2 weeks of covid followed by icy roads (I don't ride when there's a possibility of ice following my accident a few years back). After today the commitments I have rule out and longer rides until the last 3 days of the year - and who knows what the weather will be like then?

Anyway, the forecast for this afternoon was bright with a 4% chance of rain, so I set off on my summer bike as I needed to be sure to finish before the light went. Of course it started raining within 5 minutes of starting and rained heavily for an hour. Most of my route was on rural roads and my bike and I finished covered from top to toe in run off from the fields and the mud farm vehicles deposit on the road.

So it's done and now I look forward to 2023!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Finisher no19 ,Well done @kapelmuur
For the same reasons you gave today was the day I did my monthly metric century

gavgav

Guru
I’ve just done my first ride in a month, due to being rough with Covid and then the ice…Only a short one, but it’s a start and so I’m hopeful, but not certain, I’ll get my challenge ride in for December. I have 3 days on which I can do it, but depends on weather and how I feel when upping the miles. Fingers crossed 🤞

bluenotebob

Veteran
What a horrible month December has turned out to be – congratulations to everyone who’s done a qualifying ride this month.

Every time I think there’s a chance of getting a ride done here, the weather changes. Talk about “conflicted weather” .. I was watching the long-term forecast on the BBC News channel on Tuesday evening – and the forecaster confessed that they weren’t sure about the weather for Thursday .. uncertainty about the UK weather less than 48 hours ahead. Wow.

Please don’t “nudge” me @13 rider … I know, I know, I know – and I’m still waiting for a 3-hour window..

Can I also use this opportunity to draw everyone’s attention to next year’s ‘3 30-minute rides per week’ challenge?

Four of us signed-up so far – and hopefully more will join us. Qualifying rides start on 1st January 2023

Read more about it here ..

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/three-30-minute-rides-each-week-of-the-year-challenge-2023.289400/

Happy Christmas to everyone!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
As the nudge list has been mentioned ,I've decided it's not required this month I think the 13 ( quite an app number) know who you are and what's required . Just a little nudge for @Cranky Knee Girl who yet to post for November as well but I think she will have done a qualifying ride
If I don't return to this thread Merry Xmas everyone and a Happy New Year with many half centuries in lovely weather

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
No nudge needed here, but I am in danger of missing the last one! :cry:

We moved house at the beginning of the month, so were busy packing, then unpacking (I'm back up north!!! :hyper:)
Then the local lanes were sheet ice.
Then I got a cold (I think it was a cold - had all the usual cold symptoms and progression so I didn't bother doing a test...) and I'm still recovering from that. However tomorrow or Monday might be manageable. Then I've got family staying and can't really take 3 hours off to ride in the rain!

Keeping fingers crossed!

bluenotebob

Veteran
As the rain gradually eased off, I bumbled around on one of my mountain bikes for 45 mins or so, came home, checked the weather forecast – from tomorrow it’ll rain until 5th Jan (apart from Tuesday 27th Dec) … so, I reckoned if I could do around 41km on the Voie Verte this afternoon, that would get me over the line in this challenge. No lunch – I just chucked some cookies and dates into the day bag, slung the Sensium 300 road bike into the back of the van and drove to Mauron. Headed south as fast as I could – against a strong SW wind. Had to go through Ploërmel to get the necessary distance – but it was OK and the town traffic was reasonable. Got back to the van in the dark and wondered why there’s no front light on my roadbike .. did I have one and it’s fallen off? or have I never had one? ..welcome to the world of old age..

I’m hugely relieved to have got this ride out of the way and I shall now enjoy my Christmas.

About to turn round the other side of Ploërmel and head back north

Ploërmel V3 V6 junction pic 2.JPG

Top Bottom