The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
It's back again
Welcome to the ninth edition of the half century challenge
This thread is just for chatting about the challenge ,The challenge thread will be up soon ready for Jan 1st and gives a run down of the rules
The challenge remains as popular as ever and gets us out riding perhaps when we need that bit of extra motivation , strangely addictive you've been warned
I once again will be acting as general taskmaster( some say cruel taskmaster) ,encouraging and some say bullying you along and trying to keep everyone in order ( bit like herding cats) .
Good luck to everyone who enters may 2023 be the year of the tailwind downhills .
Any one thinking about entering for the first time ,just give it a go were a friendly little corner of the forum ( mostly unless I find out you've riden 49km grr) and everyone is encouraged along

gavgav

Guru
Excellent, I’m in again 👍🏻

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’m getting increasingly wary about saying I’ll do something – it seems to tempt fate into conjuring up all sorts of unforeseen obstacles. I reckon it’s much better to achieve something then say you’ve done it .. rather than the other way round.

But … go on then, “yes” – I’m also in again but 2023 may be my last year in this challenge.

As I’ve said elsewhere on this forum, I turned 70 this month and I guess I’m now entering into my ‘cycling twilight years’. I still want to try and achieve as much as possible on the bike next year and beyond .. but not at the expense of enjoying my cycling.

I’ve already committed to three other CC challenges for 2023, mostly because they fit into my cycling plans and routines.... and now I’m adding a fourth. If I have to give up one of them, it’ll probably be this one. Having said that – and ‘the fates’ are listening again – I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I screw up the other three challenges but complete this one.. “Man plans, God laughs” .. ain’t that the truth.

Happy New Year to everyone and great cycling in 2023

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks @13 rider , really appreciate your efforts administering the challenge.
Yes, and thanks from me too. Just one thing though...

There were already challenge threads for monthly imperial centuries (100 mile rides) and metric centuries (100 km or 62.14 mile rides). I thought it would be a nice idea to come up with an easier challenge for those who don't have the time, energy or inclination to do the longer rides so @ColinJ created the half century challenge in 2015. It was a success, so by popular request, it will take place again every year from now on
It would make more sense for that to say "@ColinJ thought it would be a nice idea to come up with an easier challenge for those who don't have the time, energy or inclination to do the longer rides so he created the half century challenge in 2015." :okay:

I haven't done very well with the challenges since Covid came along so I thought I would have a go at this one in 2023 and make it more interesting for myself, doing all of my qualifying rides on my singlespeed bike. I will keep these rides separate from the Lunacy challenge rides, but will count them in the 3 rides a week challenge, if I decide to go ahead with that***.

*** The first week of January will be the clincher... I haven't cycled since December 1st, so I need to snap out of hibernation ASAP! :laugh:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@ColinJ your probably correct but I'm lazy and just copy and paste the previous years rules
Will be good to have the creater back in the fold

Top Bottom