The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
And it would appear I'm in for another round. ^_^
This year might be tricky, though. In October, I was diagnosed with an abdominal aorta aneurism. It is still classed as small, so the risks of surgery (a stent to alleviate the pressure) is considered higher than the risk of rupture, so it will be a case of monitoring. Having worked within the NHS, I can assure you all that it would not be the worst way to shuffle of this mortal coil - a sharp pain, a few seconds of terror, rapid unconsciousness, followed a few minutes later by The Big Sleep - but, whilst I cannot apparently forestall the inevitable progress towards surgery (I don't know if that could be this year, or many years down the line) , I may be able to slow its progress by following the usual recommendations: lower blood pressure and BMI by diet (drastically cutting down on my beer consumption, unfortunately) and more exercise. This, of course, means I will hopefully be trying to pick up more points in this challenge this year as a way to help, so it's not all bad news. :okay:
Good luck to everyone!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
No bold statements like going for 50 points this year @Jon George ? ,Stay healthy and good luck .
So it's Suffolk ( Felixstowe) 2 ,Leicester 1

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I‘m in folks.
Bit of an odd day. I decided, after being made to feel bad, in my own home for deigning to have breakfast and coffee before a ride that I was having none of it, and himself flounced. I told him fine, go, do not ring, text and not to darken my door again. I finished my breakfast and put a few bits on charge then cleared off towards Wymondham. At the edge of town I thought to give my aunt a call to see if she was in. She said ‘come on over’ and I got half way and thought that I couldn’t bear the drama at her house - 2 TVs on in 2 rooms, different programmes and cousin doesn’t understand that volume goes down as well as up. He doesn’t have difficulties, he’s just a bit of a knob. I invented a knee injury to text about and headed home the pretty route on roads that I haven’t ridden on in years. Spooner Row and Ashwellthorpe passed by before picking up familiar roads from Wreningham. I was brave and rode straight through the centre of Norwich, even overtaking a deliveroo rider on an electric moped thing. 34 miles done and dusted and a Joe Wicks workout is not happening.
The ride was great. I listened to Thunder on my Aftershock, were safe to do so. Once home I polished off the Mince pie curly-puff pastry things. Totally earned them.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Don't you just love a last minute equaliser and you updated the thread ,Well done @tallliman

3-2 to East Anglia thanks to @Saluki :whistle:

Domus

Guru
Chorlton Wanderers New Year Ride almost didn't happen for me. It's 20 Kms to the Water Park from Sunny Radcliffe so it meant a 09.30 start.
At 09.15 the rain was Biblical. 20 very wet Kms just to get to the start was not appealing in the slightest. At 09.20 it stopped, the weak sun tried to break through so It was on. Dry all day, nice pub lunch and back home with 82.6 Kms on the Wahoo.
A two pointer to get me off the mark. First ride since December 2, damaged back and man flu. I survived but I feel it was a bit too much. Time will tell, I am under strict instructions from Senior Management to not suffer a relapse..............or else. :eek:

I've equalised for Leicestershire!

And now I’ve given us the lead! 🤣

I’m back in and off the mark with a two pointer ride via Hinckley, Nuneaton and Atherstone, stopping off at the latter for a coffee and cake. Weather far too good to be zwifting, wind notwithstanding! Tad blowy out there today!

Oh, and do I get bonus points for not posting in the wrong thread this year? 🤔🤣

Top Bottom