The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Finally found the escape road out of Zwift world and entered the real world 13 days since my last outdoor ride to do my standard Wymeswold loop for another metric half . Poor start this year I find the draw of the indoor trainer more inviting than wet and windy outdoor rides

bluenotebob

Veteran
Well done on ‘breaking your fast’ @13 rider and getting back into the real world.

I love cycling here in our Atlantic weather – the cold and rain in my face, the wind blowing me all over the road – it lets me know that I’m still alive.

Part of this is my growing sense of mortality – I don’t know how many more ‘cycling years’ I’ve got and I don’t want to waste a day of them …. and the other thing is reminders of childhood/adolescence. I was born in Buxton (but only lived there for the first 4 weeks of my life): my grandparents lived there through the 50s and 60s and my grandfather used to take me up to the Cat & Fiddle, Axe Edge, Goyt Valley etc and I think that’s where I discovered my enjoyment of wind and rain. My teenage years were spent just west of the Pennines and I was always out walking or cycling, in all weathers.

I haven’t missed a day’s cycling outdoors yet this month – I’m ‘batting’ 15/15 (with a ‘daily minimum distance’ of just over 8km) and I’d dearly love to get to 31/31.

No criticism intended of indoor cycling – but it doesn’t cut it for me. I want to be out in the cold and the wet – and I enjoy the warmth of home so much more when I get back.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done on ‘breaking your fast’ @13 rider and getting back into the real world.

I love cycling here in our Atlantic weather – the cold and rain in my face, the wind blowing me all over the road – it lets me know that I’m still alive.

Part of this is my growing sense of mortality – I don’t know how many more ‘cycling years’ I’ve got and I don’t want to waste a day of them …. and the other thing is reminders of childhood/adolescence. I was born in Buxton (but only lived there for the first 4 weeks of my life): my grandparents lived there through the 50s and 60s and my grandfather used to take me up to the Cat & Fiddle, Axe Edge, Goyt Valley etc and I think that’s where I discovered my enjoyment of wind and rain. My teenage years were spent just west of the Pennines and I was always out walking or cycling, in all weathers.

I haven’t missed a day’s cycling outdoors yet this month – I’m ‘batting’ 15/15 (with a ‘daily minimum distance’ of just over 8km) and I’d dearly love to get to 31/31.

No criticism intended of indoor cycling – but it doesn’t cut it for me. I want to be out in the cold and the wet – and I enjoy the warmth of home so much more when I get back.
I much prefer outdoors to indoors just find it harder since I stopped bike commuting to get outside if the weather iffy when the turbo sat there all set up . I was then last one of my cycling group to take up indoor cycling and I now love it but it will never replace outdoor cycling for me . I use the trainer for hard efforts that I wouldn't do outdoors . I had a week up in the peaks last June and climbed Axe Edge stunning area for riding

bluenotebob

Veteran
I use the trainer for hard efforts that I wouldn't do outdoors . I had a week up in the peaks last June and climbed Axe Edge stunning area for riding

Yes, I understand that .. really pushing yourself indoors which could be dangerous on the road.

I remember reading about your stay near Buxton last year and I was envious. I have some very old memories (from the 1950s) of struggling up Long Hill in the snow in my parents' old Ford Poppy.

Have you any plans to repeat the trip? I'd love to see some photos if you do.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Yes, I understand that .. really pushing yourself indoors which could be dangerous on the road.

I remember reading about your stay near Buxton last year and I was envious. I have some very old memories (from the 1950s) of struggling up Long Hill in the snow in my parents' old Ford Poppy.

Have you any plans to repeat the trip? I'd love to see some photos if you do.
Yes I'd love to return but possibly not this year with other plans . I can make Ashbourne area in a long 100 miler day ride which I'd like to do in the summer

steverob

Guru
Finally off the mark for 2023 - I know I'm not exactly leaving it to the very end of the month but this is still a lot later than I'd anticipated my first outdoor ride of the year being.

Rode down to Thame (with a horrid headwind) to pick up the Phoenix Trail, a local cyclepath on the route of an old railway, to see how much more of it had been paved since the last time I was down that way. Answer, about 500 yards! The first 3 miles are now tarmac, with the remaining 2.5 miles varying between ultra-fine packed gravel, slightly lumpier stones (though still passable on a road bike) and short sections of pretty much just mud. Turned off onto side roads and farm tracks at various points looking for alternative routes with the intent of rejoining the trail further down - some bits worked out well, others less so.

Of course it did mean I got a lovely tailwind on the way back and got some really good speed along the back roads returning to Aylesbury. However I did see a scary road rage incident - not involving myself thankfully, but two car drivers ahead of me. I stopped a few yards behind, stayed out of it and waited for everyone to get back in their vehicles before riding on.

Domus

Guru
Forecast for cold but dry had me layered up and ready for the off at 09.30, opened the garage door to snow falling. Back inside for a while, finally out at 10.15. Cold headwind all the way to Frederick's in Adlington to find it closed for refurbishments. :sad:. They took one look at my pitiful face put a table and chair outside and made me a coffee.:okay:
Back through Horwich and warmed up somewhat with the climb up to The Blundell, then got cold again on the long descent into Bolton.
Another point in the bag with 54.9 chilly Kms done.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
First ride of the 2023 challenge in yesterday. A bit of a slog due to the wind and my lack of fitness. Hopefully the fitness will improve over the year.

Yesterday's ride was my first of the year. Lack of fitness? I was soundly trounced by my virtual partner in the Garmin!

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride was my first of the year. Lack of fitness? I was soundly trounced by my virtual partner in the Garmin!

You made a good choice going via Twyning, the wind in the exposed section of the road between Upton and Longdon was murderous.

Domus

Guru
Another cold one, had to get off and walk for about 100 metres due to ice patches just before the dam at Belmont Reservoir. Cafés in Brinscall and Wheelton both closed :wacko: however Frederick's refurb now complete and open again.:okay:
Cold headwind then all the way to Bolton, running on empty when I got home, only 60Kms but the cold requires more calories. Perhaps too soon to try and shift a few kilos.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Well, after a convoluted December ride that involved several loops because I was feeling under the weather (i.e. in case I needed to bale out part way round), I found it difficult to get motivated for my first 2023 ride. Not helped by quite a lot of wet and windy weather, and then more ice.
Having moved north from Gloucestershire in December, where it was too easy to do a metric half with very little ascent, I was feeling intimidated by the much more lumpy terrain around Kirkby Stephen.
Made myself go out today, from Kirkby Stephen south towards Garsdale Head. Rather than do a circuit by going on to Sedburgh then back up the A683 (where I would be committed once half way round), I decided to do a bit of back and forth to get the miles up. I'm reasonably hill fit for walking at the moment, but my cycling muscles aren't.
The B6259 south from Kirkby Stephen is a lovely road to cycle. Up for about 10 miles, but gently, with some flattish bits and the odd little downhill to vary the pace. Mostly easily 2 cars wide (so no passing in narrow lanes), and not busy. It was an atmospheric day - clouds clinging to the hills but the sun trying to shine through - and it managed it for nearly an hour. I was intending to go all the way to the Moorcock Inn, where the B road meets the Sedburgh to Hawes A road, but as I was starting the descent, the road ahead was disappearing into gloomy cloud and behind me the sun was coming out. So I turned around.
Getting my half century in involved descending almost back to Nateby (lovely descent, too, no finger cramping braking needed), then back up the hill almost to the top again, then back.

Crossing the border.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_113933321_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_113933321_HDR.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230124_113937780_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_113937780_HDR.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230124_113950105_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_113950105_HDR.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230124_121209894_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_121209894_HDR.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230124_121713039_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230124_121713039_HDR.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Spinney thats a fantastic area of the country just on my northern edge. Mallerstang is great. When the weather improves Tan Hill and over the top to Arkengarthdale or Swaledale is a must. The hill from Nateby to Swaledale is long and Challenging! Don’t neglect the wonderful Eden valley for flatter rides or up on to Great Asby. I might get to Garsdale later in the week now the ice has gone.

Top Bottom