The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
@Spinney thats a fantastic area of the country just on my northern edge. Mallerstang is great. When the weather improves Tan Hill and over the top to Arkengarthdale or Swaledale is a must. The hill from Nateby to Swaledale is long and Challenging! Don’t neglect the wonderful Eden valley for flatter rides or up on to Great Asby. I might get to Garsdale later in the week now the ice has gone.

We had a week near Brampton about 18 months ago. Some gentle cycling between the A66 and the hills ( and jolly good 🍰🫖 at the National Trust cafe at Acorn Bank).

geocycle

Legendary Member
We had a week near Brampton about 18 months ago. Some gentle cycling between the A66 and the hills ( and jolly good 🍰🫖 at the National Trust cafe at Acorn Bank).
Acorn bank is open this weekend and next for snowdrops before full opening in March. I’ll likely be there for the cake as much as anything, but I do enjoy walking the grounds to provide justification. Check out the redstarts and swallows in the mill later in the year. There are good routes north and south of the A66 Up to little salkeld or down toward Morland.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Acorn bank is open this weekend and next for snowdrops before full opening in March. I’ll likely be there for the cake as much as anything, but I do enjoy walking the grounds to provide justification. Check out the redstarts and swallows in the mill later in the year. There are good routes north and south of the A66 Up to little salkeld or down toward Morland.

Thanks for that! I saw it was open, but hadn't registered it was snowdrop time. Might get myself up there.

Domus

Guru
A degree or two warmer this morning so took advantage of the wintery sun and low winds. Cracking views from the top of Holcombe Hill but got a bit chilly on the descent so coffee and toast in Costa in Rawtenstall, then up to Rammy and home via Whitefield to get over the magic 50 K.
Seven rides so far this month, six of them over 50 Kms. Going to Grange for a few days so might just sneak in one more.

It's back again
Welcome to the ninth edition of the half century challenge
This thread is just for chatting about the challenge ,The challenge thread will be up soon ready for Jan 1st and gives a run down of the rules
The challenge remains as popular as ever and gets us out riding perhaps when we need that bit of extra motivation , strangely addictive you've been warned
I once again will be acting as general taskmaster( some say cruel taskmaster) ,encouraging and some say bullying you along and trying to keep everyone in order ( bit like herding cats) .
Good luck to everyone who enters may 2023 be the year of the tailwind downhills .
Any one thinking about entering for the first time ,just give it a go were a friendly little corner of the forum ( mostly unless I find out you've riden 49km grr) and everyone is encouraged along

I'm in again (of course)! Thank you for all the cat-herding and cajoling to come!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't done very well with the challenges since Covid came along so I thought I would have a go at this one in 2023 and make it more interesting for myself, doing all of my qualifying rides on my singlespeed bike. I will keep these rides separate from the Lunacy challenge rides, but will count them in the 3 rides a week challenge, if I decide to go ahead with that***.

*** The first week of January will be the clincher... I haven't cycled since December 1st, so I need to snap out of hibernation ASAP! :laugh:
Well, I did get back on my bike and am now on the 4th week of the 3-rides-a-week challenge. Those have all been 30-40 minute rides though.

I would still like to do the 50-a-month challenge on singlespeed this year - I intend to go out and do the January ride in the next few days. The forecast is looking ok and I don't have any other plans so I don't have any excuse for NOT doing it!

bruce1530

Guru
I'm in again this year. Had a pleasant loop this morning, home to Kilwinning, Kilmaurs, back via Irvine. 51km.

Stopped at a new cafe in Kilmaurs - very good coffee, a few outdoor seats or benches would be good!

My first ride since 4 Dec - think I've left the little bit of fitness I had behind :sad:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Just got in from my first qualifying ride of the year and it is a thing of shame. Due to various factors I had to stay within a ten minute ride of home so it was all local miles therefore miserable total ascent and very very boring riding with the same view all the time. I am hoping to get out again and do a proper ride tomorrow, hopefully with a 1000m of ascent too, but decided to get qualifying ride in today in case I fail tomorrow. Annoyed that I got so close to an imperial half century - may nip out later to top it up if that is allowed.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Had a dreadful year last year. Covid in January followed by 6 months of relentlessly grinding my way back to almost club ride speed and a 400+ mile effort during the Tour de France. Then my wife took ill and I was on stand-by for most of the rest of the year. Only 75 miles ridden in the last 5 months, creeping over the line to record 1,000 miles instead of the usual 3,000. I decided to get my act together and start building up the miles again this year with a view to riding some club rides in a few months time.

The idea of entering this challenge only occurred to me as I was about a mile from home today and hitting 29.5 miles. As a spur-of-the-moment thing, I took a slightly longer way home to bring up exactly 32 miles (51.5km) to record a metric half ton. This should add some structure to my riding and, when it is easier to just stay indoors watching the telly, get me out there with a target to aim for. Just made it with a few days of the month to go. Looking forward to reading about your rides and maybe picking up a bit of inspiration.

Slick

Guru
Long story short, I've been carrying an injury since September last year, tried to make a comeback too early and suffered a bit of a setback. Still far from right, but I'm keen to join this challenge this year and as I'm away Monday for a work trip all week, tomorrow is my last opportunity to get a ride in. Thing is, I'm not fit for it, I know myself I will break down again, so I'm planning going out on Mrs Slicks ebike. I'm hopeful it would be for January only, and it should qualify as if it wasn't for this challenge, I wouldn't go out at all, so therefore a qualifying ride. Does the illuminate of the CC massive agree with me, or is that cheating?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just got in from my first qualifying ride of the year and it is a thing of shame. Due to various factors I had to stay within a ten minute ride of home so it was all local miles therefore miserable total ascent and very very boring riding with the same view all the time. I am hoping to get out again and do a proper ride tomorrow, hopefully with a 1000m of ascent too, but decided to get qualifying ride in today in case I fail tomorrow. Annoyed that I got so close to an imperial half century - may nip out later to top it up if that is allowed.
You have my sympathies. During the lockdown I ended up doing 3 x 20 mile local loops on a couple of ocasions just to maintain participation in the 100km per month challenge. Possibly the most boring riding ever done.

Top Bottom