The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will possibly be doing the Cragg Vale climb on singlespeed tomorrow - that is a lot harder. That only averages 3.4% for a long way but there is a much steeper ramp in the middle which is nearer 10% for a couple of hundred metres - pretty tough! As can be the frequent cross-headwind from the Littleborough direction on the exposed moorland higher up. If all goes to plan, I will get my singlespeed '50' in and avoid making the mistake that I made in February.
Done, but in the opposite direction so I did it 'dinglespeed' so I could get up the A58 to Blackstone Edge from Littleborough, and some other steep ramps on the way to the cafe. The start and finish were in 52/19, the mid-ride section in 42/29. I did a couple of steepish climbs back in Tod in 52/19 just so I didn't feel like I was skiving! :okay:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Pleased to get chance to get on the board today for March, easy to assume we re into spring but can be a mixed month. Weather looks wintry here from Sunday so pleased to not be fretting waiting on a good day coming round again. Also good to get a 100 km effort in early in the month so can be more selective later. While my target this year is based on 50 mile rides in this Challenge, I’d like to get at least one 100 km each month if possible.

March done.

I had a pootle down to the Lime Kilns pub on the A5 at Hinckley. Hinckley is somewhat of a banker for an easy point no matter which way I go but today I dusted down the mountain bike, set out via green lanes and the towpaths of the Ashby canal. Unsurprisingly, the tyres picked up a few tourists en route but the tubeless setup worked perfectly and I was able to get home with relatively little fuss. I thought with the route being mainly off road that I would take the GoPro out and capture a little footage…….

36.7 in 3:21.

View: https://youtu.be/yUQMQSLO9Ws

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Came across one of these today doing gate guardian duty. Most people make do with an English Electric Lightning or Chieftain tank but in Worcestershire we prefer an allosaurus. As you do.

87DB719B-CD30-484A-9566-3474ED9509E7.jpeg

Domus

Guru
March ride with the Chorlton Wanderers. A first time for me on the Fallowfield Loop then along the River Medlock for lunch in Lees.
I took my leave there to get home and drive up to Grange in daylight.
The bike needed a hose down before mounting on the car rack. 😱
The Wahoo got me back to where I knew, along some quiet roads and finished off with 66 Kms and another point. 👍

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
I suspected it was going to be one of those days when I rear wheel punctured before I had even got to the social ride meet up. Heavy rain over the previous couple of days had washed plenty of those nastily sharp Sussex flint splinters onto the minor roads. Another puncture after coffee, whilst climbing Bedham hill meant I was out of spare inner tubes, so it was out with the patches and glue at our soup stop. Leaving the lunch stop in increasingly murky drizzly conditions made it an easy decision to short cut home and guess what, puncture number 3, front wheel for a change this time. At 117km not my longest ride of the year to date but certainly the one with most mechanicals. 2 new Durano Plus tyres plus another 5 inner tubes ordered today, hopefully they'll see me through to summer.

With winds borderline gale force and rain on and off, I figured that today was as good as any to dig out the MTB again and hit the Dukeries Trail, which runs primarily across North Nottinghamshire- although it starts in Derbyshire (literally just-by less than 100m) and ends in Lincolnshire!
Catching the early train to the start, I arrived at Shirebrook just after 9am and barely a mile in I was covered head to toe in mud, such was the condition of the trails but I didn’t care- I was having way too much fun!

Fighting the wind and roads through nearby Market Warsop, it was soon time to hit the off road sections again, just south of Meden Vale and eventually heading northwards towards Hazel Gap on the outskirts of Clumber Park. Another few miles of claggy trails awaited and I’d got to a stage where I was literally bombing through the puddles instead of picking a line around them. I probably bore more of a resemblance to Sonny Colbrelli as he romped home to victory following a muddy edition of Paris-Roubaix, such was the accumulation of mud on me and my bike!

Clumber section defeated, I toiled through the roads towards Bothamsall where the direction had turned southwesterly, straight into the wind. That was by far the longest mile or so I’d ever done- or so it seemed! Changing direction, there was a deviation through some newer trails at the old Bevercotes pit site instead of the planned route down the old service road, then onto roads for the next six or seven miles where the original route was picked back up again.

Between Milton and Tuxford was where the only climbs were on this ride- short, steep and in frequent succession- and the law of sod came into play ensuring such efforts were into the brutal headwind (because clearly the climbs themselves were not difficult enough on a heavy bike!)

Stopping briefly at Tuxford for a quick drink, breather and photos and the customary Haribos, I pressed on towards the start of the next section of trail near Fledborough, a converted railway line that crosses the river Trent by way of a long viaduct. At this stage the wind really made its presence felt as at least twice I nearly came off the bike such was its power!
There were no more on-road sections for the remainder of the ride, save for a couple of hundred metres to Lincoln station, and a little after 12pm I rocked up there, bike and rider caked from head to toe in mud. The forecasted rain never really came save for a scattering of showers lasting only a few seconds at a time. This was probably the only time I wished for a downpour so that at least some of the mud build up would wash away, but it wasn’t to be.

It had dried enough for me to wipe it down with my gloves, so I did just that in eager anticipation (or dread) that I may not have been allowed on the train home!

A cracking ride in less than cracking conditions, being a North Notts lad myself it was nice to be on the old stomping ground again and on two wheels at that!

34.9 in 2:46.

View: https://youtu.be/JtLsj1hfhVc

Domus

Guru
Finally a break in the weather in Sunny Grange, on the day we had to come back, typical.
Quick 57.3 Kms to Arnside and back, a longer, hillier route out and a more direct one back. After the very wet few days the road by Grange golf club was flooded much more than I have seen. My bottom bracket was completely submerged for well over 100 metres and both winter boots were filled with feet cooling water. Back home to celebrate our twin daughters 40th birthday. :wacko:

Spartak