The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... so a gentle nudge for @ColinJ ( who I think has done a ride )
Yikes - thanks for the reminder! I had intended to do my February singlespeed 50 km ride early in the month but the weather turned wet and windy so I headed home after a cafe stop, only getting 36 km in.

I did a 70 km forum ride in Devon on Saturday but that wasn't singlespeed so I am not going to count it.

I will have to get the singlespeed bike out now I am home and get my Feb s/s 50 done!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Yikes - thanks for the reminder! I had intended to do my February singlespeed 50 km ride early in the month but the weather turned wet and windy so I headed home after a cafe stop, only getting 36 km in.

I did a 70 km forum ride in Devon on Saturday but that wasn't singlespeed so I am not going to count it.

I will have to get the singlespeed bike out now I am home and get my Feb s/s 50 done!
Wasn't sure of the distance on your forum ride ,thought it was enough

bruce1530

Guru
,so a gentle nudge for @ColinJ ( who I think has done a ride ) ,@bruce1530 ,@Saluki ,@slow scot ,@Gibbo9 and @Spartak

Thanks for the reminder. Struggled to get out so far this month, but had a day off work today, and the sun was shining. A little frosty, but a lovely morning. So out for a spin round local farm roads.

2 miles later, sun had gone, wind was getting up, rain threatening :sad:

25k loop, back home for 10 mins to make a phone call, then another 25k loop on the other side of town. And tried a brand new cafe - just opened this week - since it's only a couple of km from home I'd not considered it as a "bike stop", but it was right in the middle of my figure-8 loop.

Domus

Guru
Blue skies but a little chilly this morning so off to to the Velo Café in Croston. Met up with a mate for lunch and rode with him to the bottom of Parbold Hill. He made his excuses and I puffed up to the ice cream van at the top. Glorious views were enjoyed along with a Magnum Classic.
The next climb up to Haigh was not as steep but longer and gave fabulous views of Winter Hill in the still bright sunshine. Finished off with a new route from Westhoughton via Lostock to mix things up a bit, home with 89 Kms and another 2 points.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
@13 rider

Thanks for the reminder.

I did try to do a Belgian 🇧🇪 50km earlier in the month but alas the saddle on my rental bike didn't agree with my posterior and I bailed out at 40 kms.

So today I headed out and rode to Chepstow, getting there just in time to pay my respects to the victims of the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦, there was a gathering in the town square to pay their respects.

A quick breakfast in the Wetherspoons then back to Bristol.

57 kms in total on a grey day.

IMG_20230224_103532.jpg

IMG_20230224_110312.jpg

IMG_20230224_133605.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
There has been posts in both centuries threads about number of entrants and people completing the challenges over the years so I thought I would do a bit of research to see how are challenge is faring . It does appear for some reason number of entrants are down in all 3 challenges this year .
2015 23 entrants ,7 completed
2016 41 entrants ,27 completed
2017 39 entrants ,33 completed
2018 44 entrants ,33 completed
2019 44 entrants ,39 completed
2020 38 entrants ,22 completed
2021 35 entrants ,30 completed
2022 42 entrants ,31 completed
2023 30 entrants

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Feb 12th.
Norwich to Sheringham, the pretty route and through villages that I had never heard of, got lost and it came to 29.5 miles. Got home and borrowed a Beryl bike and rode another 2 miles. 31.5 miles or just over 50km so technically a point.
Does this still count?

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Feb 12th.
Norwich to Sheringham, the pretty route and through villages that I had never heard of, got lost and it came to 29.5 miles. Got home and borrowed a Beryl bike and rode another 2 miles. 31.5 miles or just over 50km so technically a point.
Does this still count?
I was being to worry about you . You have posted in the wrong thread but no issue I've seen it

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bit of a disappointing return from @Jenkins this month ,not managing to ride 50% of the days in February. He only did 13 rides in 28 days 😁
Joking aside that's a really good effort

I would have done one yesterday but decided to give my backside a rest from the saddle and went for a walk instead, while tomorrow is a no-go as I'm off to Nottingham and I'm NOT getting up at stupid o'clock for a quick 50!

bluenotebob

Veteran
Huge round of applause from Brittany for @Jenkins achievement !

Not in any sense to be compared .. but I’ve just completed a shortish ride today which means that I’ve cycled every day in both January and February (minimum ‘daily distance’ of just over 8km). I’ve never managed to do that before – and I probably won’t again. But it merits a large slice of chocolate cake later..

I’m hoping that NE wind will finally calm down and I can do some longer rides in March …. my road bike has hardly seen any action in 2023.

@13 rider ... @Gibbo9 hasn't been on the forum since the end of week 6 (around 12 Feb) - but he did manage a 68km ride earlier this month (which he posted in the 3 x30 thread) - so he's still in this year's challenge. I expect he'll get round to posting something soon

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Huge round of applause from Brittany for @Jenkins achievement !

Not in any sense to be compared .. but I’ve just completed a shortish ride today which means that I’ve cycled every day in both January and February (minimum ‘daily distance’ of just over 8km). I’ve never managed to do that before – and I probably won’t again. But it merits a large slice of chocolate cake later..

I’m hoping that NE wind will finally calm down and I can do some longer rides in March …. my road bike has hardly seen any action in 2023.

@13 rider ... @Gibbo9 hasn't been on the forum since the end of week 6 (around 12 Feb) - but he did manage a 68km ride earlier this month (which he posted in the 3 x30 thread) - so he's still in this year's challenge. I expect he'll get round to posting something soon
Thanks ,Gibbo does tend to a bit slow at his admin but thanks for the heads up

Top Bottom