The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Home made go karts. A few planks of wood, a handfull of nails or screws, some pram wheels and a yard of rope for the steering....
Old prams were quickly relieved of their wheels for such things, you had to be quick.
Hurtling down the local village hill...good job there were'nt so many cars around then.
Yep used to round off the pram axle with a hammer so the wheel couldn't come off. Bit of carpet nailed the plank at the back to make it comfortable. There was a lot of work went into those!

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep used to round off the pram axle with a hammer so the wheel couldn't come off. Bit of carpet nailed the plank at the back to make it comfortable. There was a lot of work went into those!
Did you place suitable washers either side of the wheel, when you splayed the ends out?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think we took the fabric and wood bit off the pram, and attached the seat to the springs. I believe it was one of those discarded fiberglass chairs . We then dubbed it X-15, and shot it off down a hill. Steered by slowing the wheels with friction from your shoe. I don't seem to recall us using any such washers, here in the States . That carriage was still around when I went to Uni, then shoved on the recycling truck when my nephew left it in front of the house one day, I was told in a letter. I've had a carriage undercarriage shaped hole in my life ever since.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think we took the fabric and wood bit off the pram, and attached the seat to the springs. I believe it was one of those discarded fiberglass chairs . We then dubbed it X-15, and shot it off down a hill. Steered by slowing the wheels with friction from your shoe. I don't seem to recall us using any such washers, here in the States . That carriage was still around when I went to Uni, then shoved on the recycling truck when my nephew left it in front of the house one day, I was told in a letter. I've had a carriage undercarriage shaped hole in my life ever since.
The washers were used to prevent the splayed axle ends from damaging the wheel hub.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Professional footballers didn't get anywhere near as much money as they do now. I've just read David Fairclough's autobiography and he writes that he came on as a sub and broke the deadlock in a game headed for a draw by scoring the winner and a team-mate ran up to him and told him that the goal meant he'd now be able to pay his gas bill from the win bonus the players would get!

I can't imagine Wayne Rooney worrying where the money's going to come from to pay his gas bill this month, can you?

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Did you place suitable washers either side of the wheel, when you splayed the ends out?
The washers were used to prevent the splayed axle ends from damaging the wheel hub.
If some were available possibly but I don't actually remembering looking around for any. And damaging the hubs wasn't exactly top of my list!! Head first, skeleton bob style, with your hands steering the front plank of wood. Jeez I wish I could down a hill that fast on a bike now!!!!

pplpilot

Guru
One of the many things I remember from the 70s that no-one has mentioned yet was Metal Mickey.

Early 80's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Mickey

[QUOTE 3894013, member: 259"]The 70s were by many measures the happiest decade ever for the people of the UK..[/QUOTE]yep, i read a social history of the period a while ago and despite a lot of well known issues in the decade, it made a pretty convincing case for your point. First group i saw, Slade at Blackburn King George's Hall (is it still used fir gigs?), later saw the Buzzckcocks at the same place.

Top Bottom