The Amateur Astronomy Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Rather than clog up Simon's telescope thread with my 1001 questions I thought I'd start off a general one here.

Question number one - does anyone use the Clear Outside app, and if you do how accurate do you find it regarding cloud cover?

So far it's been right for the last two nights of total murkiness here, but it's teasing me with a prediction of only 5% cloud tomorrow night.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Yes, I use it and its accuracy is pretty variable. I find it's often more accurate re the dew point than anything else. I've also been caught out a few times as it defaults to FLO's headquarters in Exeter unless you press 'current'!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have punivesrse as my star atlas app.
I think it was a fiver or whatever, but well worth it. I have various paper star atlases as well, but I love books. Another fabulous app is exoplanet, which every few days tells you the latest exoplanets they've found - over 2000 so far but the (paid for) add ons are truly amazing whereby you can zoom out from thr solar system and planets out to nearby stars, then out to the galaxy, then the clusters of galaxies all the way to the cosmic background radiation map. Again myabe a fiver plus a couple more fivers for the add ons.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Any app that you are comfortable with is fine. I tend just to glance at a radar map to decide. But i have gone out, set up my quite heavy mount and scope and balanced it and aligned it and the clouds roll in, even caught out by rain that had a 5% chance of happening the once... The weather in this country is just quite unpredictable at times.

If the astronomy bug catches you, watch out for Aperture Fever... That is the unquenchable desire for a larger and larger telescope... I caught this terrible disease. I ended up getting a 12 inch reflector on a dobsonian mount. It was almost as tall as i am. My neighbours thought i was reenacting a scene from the battle of waterloo im sure... Thankfully, after realising that it was becoming more and more impractical i realised the beauty in using a telescope that i could set up in a shorter period of time, to get those nights when there may only be an hour or 2 of clears skies. Don't get me wrong, star clusters looked amazing in the 12 inch as did the details on Jupiter. But a common phrase used in the astronomy circle is the best telescope is the one you use the most... Now i have a 6 inch refractor which is still a beast and a 5 inch short tube refractor. Oh and a huge pair of binoculars...

Another tip is to learn how to use your peripheral vision. The light cones in your eyes are more sensitive in these areas. So if your hunting galaxies, peripheral vision is king. The art is finding the galaxies, learning to star hop is a good skill here. Once you are sure it's there, avert your gaze just to the side of the galaxy. With practice you will start to tease out detail, it is a noticeable difference. Try it on easy targets first, such as Andromeda, then head off to the Virgo cluster. Sketching is a helpful thing here too. I can't draw for poo but it helps focus the mind and it helps get more and more detail. BTW, this time of year is prime galaxy hunting season...

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I quite like Stellarium because i can rewind the night sky and clarify which star I saw at about half ten last night... or fast forward to check what I'll be able to see from North Yorkshire in a few month's time.
That's what I'm using, seems obvious how to use it without wading through tons of instructions.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Right then, here's today's first question.

I have a Cheshire collimator, but have just noticed that there's no adjusting screws for my primary mirror, is this typical on a cheap telescope, and if it is what am I supposed to do?

I've asked the manufacturer for instructions so I'll have to see if they come back with anything.

Although I'm quite happy with the images as they are, so wondering if it's a cheap scope that isn't meant to be adjusted.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Right then, here's today's first question.

I have a Cheshire collimator, but have just noticed that there's no adjusting screws for my primary mirror, is this typical on a cheap telescope, and if it is what am I supposed to do?

I've asked the manufacturer for instructions so I'll have to see if they come back with anything.

Although I'm quite happy with the images as they are, so wondering if it's a cheap scope that isn't meant to be adjusted.
I have seen that before. It might have been set and glued in place at the factory. Do you have secondary mirror adjustment?

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I have seen that before. It might have been set and glued in place at the factory. Do you have secondary mirror adjustment?
The primary is just a flat piece of glass held by three clamps, the secondary has enough adjustment that I knocked it out completely. I had to hold it physically
in place by hand before tightening it up again. ^_^

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It doesn't take much to knock them out of collimation. Without primary mirror collimation screws it's going to be a faff getting it collimated. The primary looks flat but it is slightly concaved to direct the photons towards the secondary.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
The good thing is that because I'm not used to anything else the images are very acceptable. 😊

Top Bottom