The Amateur Astronomy Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I really need to find a group or a "how to use your telescope properly" type course. I'm ok at finding and imaging planets but that's all I have managed so far. I also need to live somewhere with less light pollution...

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I really need to find a group or a "how to use your telescope properly" type course. I'm ok at finding and imaging planets but that's all I have managed so far. I also need to live somewhere with less light pollution...
I highly recommend joining a group for sure. Nothing like having a helping hand and there's nothing other amateur astronomers like to do, aside from astronomy, than to help new people into the hobby. Although there is lots of literature out there now, im sure you could pick it all up. Make sure you set your mount up correctly, get a star chart or the free stellarium app and just begin to learn the stars, constellations and asterism's and you'll soon be hopping around the night sky.

Light pollution is unfortunately an issue for nearly everybody in this country. Designated dark sites exist of course and Kielder Forest is a great place for astronomy, but of course is miles away from civilisation. The closest dark site to you is likely to be South Downs. There are light pollution filters you can get which help filter out the sodium lamp street light waves for a low cost, but nothing is ever as good as a proper dark site.

gbb

Legendary Member
Jupiter and its cluster of major moons very visible via a bird watching scope this evening (to the south)
Saturn slightly east of it, slightly above. Considerably fainter and its probably wishful thinking but while its just a dot in the viewfinder, it seems like you can faintly see the rings...although more like a stretched dot giving that impression.
Venus was visible earlier to the east, long since gone below the rooflines or horizon now.

icowden

Veteran
Light pollution is unfortunately an issue for nearly everybody in this country. Designated dark sites exist of course and Kielder Forest is a great place for astronomy, but of course is miles away from civilisation. The closest dark site to you is likely to be South Downs. There are light pollution filters you can get which help filter out the sodium lamp street light waves for a low cost, but nothing is ever as good as a proper dark site.

We did try an outing to Headley Heath which is a designated "dark sky" site (semi-rural), but it wasn't a particularly great early evening. We took my kids (12, and 14) and my BiL took his daughter (5) so we couldn't stay that late. We did get some nice views of Jupiter and Saturn but probably no better than those from my driveway. Plus there were a couple of <ahem> apparently single males hanging about in cars, and who didn't seem to have brought telescopes. Or dogs. I am sure that they were just enjoying the darkness of the countryside and waiting til later, but....

Johnno260

Veteran
I’m lucky here the street lights keep breaking and they gave up fixing the one’s directly outside my house.

My telescopes a 90/900 I was really hoping for something larger but as Dave said the one I have is quick and easy to setup.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I’m lucky here the street lights keep breaking and they gave up fixing the one’s directly outside my house.

My telescopes a 90/900 I was really hoping for something larger but as Dave said the one I have is quick and easy to setup.
I know a few people who have pointed laser pens at the sensors of street lamps which fools it into thinking its daylight and it goes off...

Don't do that. :whistle:

midlife

Guru

They probably got fed up of picking out the airgun pellets :smile:

Johnno260

Veteran
The other "illness" to watch for in Astronomy is the eyepiece hoarding, that can get out of hand fast! haha

Really fascinated by the stars so would like to buy a telescope and start searching the universe! Does anybody have any knowledge of this telescope, and is it adequate for a complete novice, or is it a kids one. Obviously I'm a numpty atm with astronomy but if if this is ok, and peeps can point me in the direction of some ' astronomy for beginners ' guides I think I will like it, the skies are amazing in remote north Norfolk where I live

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220107-192838_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220107-192838_Facebook.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220107-190837_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220107-190837_Facebook.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220107-190817_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220107-190817_Facebook.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 10

icowden

Veteran
Really fascinated by the stars so would like to buy a telescope and start searching the universe! Does anybody have any knowledge of this telescope, and is it adequate for a complete novice, or is it a kids one. Obviously I'm a numpty atm with astronomy but if if this is ok, and peeps can point me in the direction of some ' astronomy for beginners ' guides I think I will like it, the skies are amazing in remote north Norfolk where I live

It's not a kids scope, but a reasonable starter scope as long as you aren't being charged too much. If it's free or very cheap, then there is nothing wrong with it (Jessops were selling these new for £75).

If it isn't free let us know your budget and we can advise accordingly :-)

With a scope that size I would start with the moon (best views when not full - full is quite boring - a nice crescent will show the shadows of the craters), then move up to planets - Jupiter and Saturn are the easiest to find and see.

I use Skeye on Android to find out where things are. The stargazers bible is "Turn right at Orion". If you want to look at more distant objects then you are likely to need a bigger scope.

@icowden @stephec , it was on marketplace and they wanted £90 and wouldnt budge so I declined. But with Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket I did a little bit of research and bought this. Seems to have decent reviews to someone who knows absolutely nothing about astronomy except the twinkle twinkle little star nursery rhyme🤣

Cant wait for it to arrive now, just got to learn all about the planets and nebula before it does 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220107-230639_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220107-230639_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 7

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've used these scopes before. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, even at 90 quid. The scope itself is OK but the tripod supplied is awful. Quite wobbly and would twist on the base of the mount. You can normally help matters by adding weight to the tripod but you can't get the wing nuts tight enough on the legs to do so! You're better off with a telescopic pole type tripod legs which has a bit more weight and stability.

Johnno260

Veteran
If you're a facebook user then there's this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/240391446118062/?multi_permalinks=2214910891999431

Although a lot of stuff on there is of the serious enthusiast type there is sometimes other stuff of interest.

Facebook marketplace sometimes has decent items as well, that's how I got mine.

That’s a great group for 2nd hand gear.

This websites great as well, they have a 2nd hand section and are really helpful with questions.

https://stargazerslounge.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom