The Amateur Astronomy Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Cant wait for it to arrive now, just got to learn all about the planets and nebula before it does 👍

I hate to dampen your enthusiasm in any way but, these are some things I have learned (using a dobsonian sky watcher (1200/150))*.

Getting ready:-
  • The scope needs to adjust to the outside temperature so get it outside at least 30 mins before you want to start viewing for best results
  • The finder-scope is useful but makes it very hard to find things unless you are really good at working with an inverted axis (so up is down and vice versa). You can get a red dot finder, which makes life much easier. The TELRAD is the most common. I have both on mine. I use the TELRAD to find what I want to look at, then the finderscope for fine tuning the aim.
  • It gets much colder than you think it will.
  • If trying to show your children / nieces / nephews etc, have a lot of patience ready...
Viewing:-
  • Moon - you will be able to see some awesome detail, especially when waxing or waning.
  • Planets - look for Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter you should be able to see the bands, moons, and a hint of ring. Saturn you will see a little blob of a planet but should be able to see the rings clearly. Other planets are really just coloured circles from a hobby telescope.
  • Planets move a *lot* faster than you think they do. Once you have the magnification up a bit, they can zoom across your field of view quite quickly. A barlow lens is useful, but you tend to lose some light with a barlow and a magnifying lens.
  • Anything else - you need to be somewhere *really dark*. Look for local dark sky sites unless you live in some nice dark countryside. For some sites it's best to hunt for a local astronomy group to go with as they can be frequented by other odd folks who might take an unusual interest in <ahem> uranus (amongst other things)...
  • The atmosphere is annoying. Sometimes you will think it looks like a great night for stargazing, and when you start looking everything is wavy due to atmospherics.
*the first measurement is focal length of tube from aperture to mirror, the second, the width of the scope.

I love star gazing, but what you can see through a scope is limited compared to the beautiful NASA images we see. But it's awe inspiring to see things for yourself, to look up into the Cosmos and see the light from our celestial neighbours. Have fun!

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
That’s a great group for 2nd hand gear.

This websites great as well, they have a 2nd hand section and are really helpful with questions.

https://stargazerslounge.com/
I joined there last year but forgotten all about it, thanks for the reminder. 😊👍

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm currently looking at what's involved with imaging, luckily the thought of spending hours in front of a laptop doing the post processing is putting me off.

So here's a quick photo I took a few days ago, I'll call it Cheese Over Chirk. 😊

Johnno260

Veteran
Once you go down the slippery eye piece slope there is no return. Haha

Getting quality 2nd hand is a viable option, RVO or Rother Valley Optics I can highly recommend and they are very helpful as well.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Quite possibly, knowing me!

Ive plenty of time on my hands, so its perhaps time I started to practice the practical side of my qualifications. Mini D has started to show an interest, so that was the prompt I needed.
Just so you are aware, when you start looking in bedroom windows, a reflector will show an image that is upside down.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have given up using mine. I have 3 of them and they have been in the cupboard for at least 2 years now. With the naked eye, you see small circle of yellow stars. Using a telescope, these circles are a bit bigger but still no details, just yellow circles.
I have seen Mars,( big red circle ) Saturn and Jupiter but not really impressed with the quality.
The only thing worth seeing is the Moon as you can see much details.
I rely on NASA and other space agencies now to see things in details in all their glory. So much better and informative.
So my telescopes will stay in the cupboard unless the mood takes me to look at the moon again sometime.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have given up using mine. I have 3 of them and they have been in the cupboard for at least 2 years now. With the naked eye, you see small circle of yellow stars. Using a telescope, these circles are a bit bigger but still no details, just yellow circles.
I have seen Mars,( big red circle ) Saturn and Jupiter but not really impressed with the quality.
The only thing worth seeing is the Moon as you can see much details.
I rely on NASA and other space agencies now to see things in details in all their glory. So much better and informative.
So my telescopes will stay in the cupboard unless the mood takes me to look at the moon again sometime.

Depends on the scope, mine the moon looks awesome, the other year when Mars was close I could make out different regions, Jupiter I can see different cloud layers and the red spot, and the four largest moons, but yes they appear as dots.

Saturn is a yellow globe with a ring, no details but I was just glad I could find and observe something that distant.

My scopes not particularly expensive either, it’s a refractor.

Johnno260

Veteran
If you can get Japanese eyepieces those are very good.

I have a BST Starguider eyepiece I use a lot, the rest are mostly Meades and I have Japanese one somewhere it’s my most used one it’s a 9.7mm Plossi.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive had my tape measure in it. It's actually 4.5". Im pretty sure its Tasco or a Celestron, whichmp is much the same thing if it was made since 2002. Ill post up a pic.

Edit. Surfing the web I have found an identical telescope in all but colour branded as Jessops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom