The Amateur Astronomy Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I have given up using mine. I have 3 of them and they have been in the cupboard for at least 2 years now. With the naked eye, you see small circle of yellow stars. Using a telescope, these circles are a bit bigger but still no details, just yellow circles.
I have seen Mars,( big red circle ) Saturn and Jupiter but not really impressed with the quality.
The only thing worth seeing is the Moon as you can see much details.
To see more detail you need a bigger and more powerful scope. And time. A lot of time.
The atmosphere changes a lot during the evening / night. You aren't going to out-see Nasa, but I get a sense of awe about being able to see objects that are incredibly far away with my own eyes.
If you can find a good dark site on a good night, you can pick out galaxies. But you need to be out for a while.
I haven't got there yet...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My mum and dad bought one of those tripod telescopes for the youngest for Christmas one year . Wrong thing to buy as a total mare to setup . However once you do get it focused in it’ok . The moon does look incredible through a scope . However decent set of binoculars may see you there as well .

Where we are is actually decent enough for the night sky , with not a lot of light pollution considering we live in a large town. Facing south I see loads on a clear night walking the dog .

gbb

Legendary Member
Just stood at my back door last night and was struck how many stars were shing through. Got my birdscope out and had a look at the Plaedies (sp) cluster, crystal clear group of stars considering you normally see a fuzzy group with the naked eye.
What I assume was Sirius was also incredibly bright and low. What was maybe atmospheric conditions gave it a slightly purple blue 'twinkle'

5 minutes later, everything back to 'normal'...far less clear skies, not from cloud but again I assume atmospherics.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just stood at my back door last night and was struck how many stars were shing through. Got my birdscope out and had a look at the Plaedies (sp) cluster, crystal clear group of stars considering you normally see a fuzzy group with the naked eye.
What I assume was Sirius was also incredibly bright and low. What was maybe atmospheric conditions gave it a slightly purple blue 'twinkle'

5 minutes later, everything back to 'normal'...far less clear skies, not from cloud but again I assume atmospherics.
I popped to the shop at about 9pm last night and it was so clear i took a big detour through some unlit paths on the way back home. Chilly but worth it.

Reactions: gbb

classic33

Leg End Member
The Moon is about to get walloped by more than 2,700 kilograms of space junk, a punch that will carve out a crater that could fit several semi-trailers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-03/space-junk-rocket-hurdling-towards-to-moon/100877494

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Before the clocks sprang forward, I've been enjoying seeing Venus at dawn on my way to work, but never spotted Saturn and Mars...

Top Bottom