The Amateur Astronomy Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Over the last week, there's been a handful of new YT videos about Betelgeuse; the star that's due to go supernova within about XX,000 years... apparently, it could be a lot sooner than they thought.

A couple of years ago it dimmed after mass ejaculation event put a load of dust between us and it, and currently it's supposedly about 50% brighter than normal. Can't see it though coz the sun's in the way.

Here's a slightly more reputable source than a random YT video.

I'm not hopeful but still hopin'.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Over the last week, there's been a handful of new YT videos about Betelgeuse; the star that's due to go supernova within about XX,000 years... apparently, it could be a lot sooner than they thought.

A couple of years ago it dimmed after mass ejaculation event put a load of dust between us and it, and currently it's supposedly about 50% brighter than normal. Can't see it though coz the sun's in the way.

Indeed, been keeping an eye on the news regarding this, but it would be typical to happen in the few months of the year where the sun blocks the view of the Orion constellation...

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Doctor Becky's Youtube channel covers it. She's a proper working astrophysicist whose channel I follow . She and was quoting from the paper and giving her spin on it. Naturally she emphasised the ifs and buts, and error-bars, but was clearly excited that it's something that may happen in her lifetime.

View: https://youtu.be/3QgLwpuDGhI

gbb

Legendary Member
I havnt been actively looking skyward recently, there wouldn't be much point, there seems to be such frequent cloud cover this summer, added to which, when the skies are clear, it seems to me far fewer stars are visible with the naked eye.
Maybe it's just me :smile:

Betelgeuse is one ialways look for , the idea it goes supernova and you may actually be able to see it in daylight is quite extraordinary.

icowden

Veteran
I havnt been actively looking skyward recently, there wouldn't be much point, there seems to be such frequent cloud cover this summer, added to which, when the skies are clear, it seems to me far fewer stars are visible with the naked eye.
Maybe it's just me :smile:
It's also worth looking to see where your local dark sky sites are. Although, do be careful in that we took the family to one for some star gazing and there did seem to be several cars with single gentlemen some of whom went for walks into the woods after dark but hadn't bought a dog with them. I'm sure they were just enjoying the evening air... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Always the same!:

Attachments

• A7076B26-1913-4B9B-BE9B-2195A10B23D4.jpeg
    A7076B26-1913-4B9B-BE9B-2195A10B23D4.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16

classic33

Leg End Member
Get ready to witness a stellar moment in the night sky
Jupiter the most massive planet in the solar system is cozying up to the Moon for a celestial rendezvous!
To witness this spectacle, cast your eyes towards the east on Sunday evening 1st of October, and as Monday's pre-dawn hours roll in, look west

Jupiter is already shining brilliantly in the sky, but on this night it will join the Moon at 2-3 degrees apart!
To give you an idea the width of your little finger held at arm's length is 1 degree

Don't miss this celestial duo rising together from just before 8:00 PM on Sunday, and the best part? They'll be visible throughout the entire night, keeping you company under the starry sky

Mark your calendars and be part of this celestial dance.

Top Bottom