The Ashes 2015 - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
Oh dear Getting better :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
I think Australia are facing far bigger problems than England.

Harris and Haddin are finished.

Rogers and Clarke are on their way with Shane Watson following close behind.

Voges is too old, and Johnson isn't getting any younger. Both the Marshes look a bit suspect at the highest level, so that doesn't leave a lot (of this current squad) to get excited about.

Only Smith, Warner, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon are likely to be playing Test cricket in 2-3 years.

But back to this Test: a healthy 1st innings lead is essential and Cook to captain with cunning and nous and to use his bowlers well.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Should be enough, even if Aussies score 300 I'd be happy enough chasing 150. That could still mean the match being over by the end of the 3rd day though!
I think 180 is the max we would want to be chasing, given that there is no chance of a draw so it will be win or bust for the aussies, they will have 7 slips and a leg gully to put huge pressure on the batsmen.

Ganymede

Veteran
This match is something else. All the Aussie's weaknesses are on show and some of the hidden strengths of the England side are creeping back. Pleased about Bell but still "only" a fifty... Jimmy Anderson's wobble balls simply have me drooling. (I just re-read that sentence but will leave it as it stands....) It's Jimmy's birthday today so I hope he gives himself the present of a nice crop of wickets.

Very much agree with @Dayvo about the Aussie team.

Weird that such a small lead looks so big in an Ashes Test.

Top Bottom