The 'B' word.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've now been cycling 6 months and I am about to do my first Thirty next week - this is in lieu of my abortive attempt last week when I fell off!

Whilst not overly driven to do longer and longer distances I would like to do a Fifty at some stage - I think!

But...for those of you who do these distances and more regularly; do you get bored?

I am loving my cycling but tbh the thought of riding a bike for say 4 hours or so (for the Fifty) is not exactly riveting. Not sure why as I do 10-12 hour days in the mountains (walking) quite a lot and do not get bored.

Maybe it's all in my mind but this seems like more of a barrier to me than the thought of the physical exertion.

So; do you get bored? If so...coping strategies?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
enjoy the views and have a chat with yourself time will soon fly by

Take someone along to talk to. I normally only do 30 miles max when i'm on my own but when i'm out with someone 50ish isn't too much of a problem. It helps when you can cycle behind someone, i assume two or more is even better.

Not everyone's answer but I listen to audio books (on low volume so I can hear whats going on around me)

DaveyM

Über Member
Don't do it for the distance...I mean if you set out to do 50 then that is what you are thinking about. Instead just go somewhere to see what there.
I don't get bored on longer rides, its usually the short rides that I have done a hundred times that bore me.

doog

There is a saying in cycle touring .

Some people 'cycle to tour' and others 'tour to cycle'. Im sure the same could be said about most cyclists. Do you cycle to look at the surroundings, the countryside, stop every 30 minutes etc or do you cycle for the sheer physical effort and enjoyment you get out of covering vast distances under your own steam. Its possible under the latter to enjoy your surroundings as well.

Top Bottom