The 'B' word.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done two 6-week tours, cycling between 80-150 km a day. The longer in the saddle for me, the better. I never get bored, being totally absorbed in the freedom of touring.

I do drift of in my thoughts and have stupid conversations with myself in different accents, but mostly I just watch the world go by and enjoy hearing the birdsong and sounds of the countryside and being 'at one' with nature and my bike! :bicycle:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I listen to music if riding long distance alone - iPod via a speaker in the bar bag. Also, if big miles I try to equate a mile for every year of my life (46) and then for each mile try and remember something that happened that year...that soon gets the brain working. If you can't remember below say 5 years old, don't start thinking about stuff till 10 miles in....:wacko:

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Thanks for the replies.

I particularly like the destination idea ie going somewhere with a bit of a purpose. I might try that when I am ready - maybe just a particular cafe with a nice view will do etc.

There is a cafe just outside Arnside, up the big hill half way as if going to Arnside Knott, but it's down by the shore. It's called the Bob In. Not too busy a lot of the time and plenty of space to lock your bike up. I have had that as my half way point on some rides. I only mention it because of the route you said you were doing when you had your 'off'.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
There is a cafe just outside Arnside, up the big hill half way as if going to Arnside Knott, but it's down by the shore. It's called the Bob In. Not too busy a lot of the time and plenty of space to lock your bike up. I have had that as my half way point on some rides. I only mention it because of the route you said you were doing when you had your 'off'.

I'll do that! Next week I will be doing that route when I get back from a short break in Poole.

I know where you mean - my dog was born in Church Walk Arnside which is not too far away from there.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Could be almost anything, mostly symphonic, from an mp3 player my wife gave me (because she knew then I'd have to use earphones). John Adams' Harmonieliere works well for cycling at certain points in the music. So does a lot of Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, and Hugo Alfven.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
not forgetting all the animals trying to kill themselves in the road.

Those Cycle Tourers certainly are cringey to watch on the busy roads, aren't they?? :whistle:

Seriously though, I never get bored, because every ride is different, the day is different, the people out and about are different, I'm different - I might not be riding at my best, my mood might be different, or I might be burying a previous record or similar, different wildlife turns up at different places, the weather is different (well, sometimes), the lighting is different, everything, different, even if its only very subtle, it's still different, and you must live somewhere immensely boring or have the attention span of a 3 year old if you ever get bored by just watching the world go by in all its day to day differences.

EDIT: I said 'Different' or 'Differences' a total of 12 times, but really, that's what sums it up for me, it's very often.... well.... different!.... 13.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I find that cycling fits in well well with some of my other interests, particularly photography. Another interest is folk music, so I often find myself rehearsing new tunes or lyrics in my head. It can be a bit embarrassing though, on odd occasions I forget my self and burst song and frighten the sheep.

I've now been cycling 6 months and I am about to do my first Thirty next week - this is in lieu of my abortive attempt last week when I fell off!

Whilst not overly driven to do longer and longer distances I would like to do a Fifty at some stage - I think!

But...for those of you who do these distances and more regularly; do you get bored?

I am loving my cycling but tbh the thought of riding a bike for say 4 hours or so (for the Fifty) is not exactly riveting. Not sure why as I do 10-12 hour days in the mountains (walking) quite a lot and do not get bored.

Maybe it's all in my mind but this seems like more of a barrier to me than the thought of the physical exertion.

So; do you get bored? If so...coping strategies?

You must have pistons for legs. I walked up Ben Nevis and back once which lasted less than half what you do and my legs were *****ed.
As for long distance cycling I dont really get bored. I havent done much over 50 miles tho. I guess the only way to find out is to do it.

I talk to myself. Tell myself stories and stuff from history. I like to have a debate.

What he said. Only I do this to get through the best part of any normal day. It's really quite therapeutic to think things out loud from time to time, I find. I'm sure it gets some funny looks but who gives a plop if you're having fun :biggrin:

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
I'll do that! Next week I will be doing that route when I get back from a short break in Poole.

I know where you mean - my dog was born in Church Walk Arnside which is not too far away from there.

Sorry, totally off topic but..., that is one beautiful dog.

I once rode back from France and only had the "Ella Ella Ella" bit of the Rihanna song stuck in my head as I didn't know the rest at the time. 400 miles later I was ready to ride under a bus lol

SWSteve

Guru
Was out for hours today. Didn't get bored as was all new roads - I also got lost so there were times when I was papping it.

I also had this in my head for a large portion of the ride

Top Bottom