The 'B' word.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxInc

It does get borring riding alone for long distances that's why I'm looking into joining a club close to my goals that has a group of similar abilities as me. For the other road rides, I like listening to music when it gets to borring and uninteresting.

Maylian

Veteran
I normally have an iPod in one ear to listen to tunes and then tend to focus on little things (challenges if you will), such as catching the cyclist in the distance, making it up the hill or something. Then I'll also enjoy the view, reminisce on previous rides, think about the future and just enjoy the effort it is taking me to do something.

Then finally I sing really loudly as this always makes me laugh.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I got stuck with the 'catchy tune' of David Soul's Silver Lady the other day, I think it was every time I slowed I said to myself 'come on' which lead to the next few lines of 'Silver Lady take my hand The Indiana wind and rain cut through me lost and alone chilled to the bone Silver Lady' now I don't know any more of the song or if they are the right lyrics but in my head is where they got. This then leads to the effort of trying to think of a better less shaming catchy song to be singing as you pass a pedestrian and got no further than 'don't give up on us baby' by the same danged singer. So in essence I was home after a 40 mile ride before I knew it having thought about nothing more than late 70's songs by a tv cop. It is all so much better than the stress of real world thinking and worrying at home, I love cycling.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks for the replies.

I particularly like the destination idea ie going somewhere with a bit of a purpose. I might try that when I am ready - maybe just a particular cafe with a nice view will do etc.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Nope never get bored, I live in Yorshire so there is always something to look at while I am cycling along, not forgetting all the animals trying to kill themselves in the road.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
those of you who do these distances and more regularly; do you get bored?

Yes.

Its an issue that can stop me getting out sometimes, my suggestion, find some mates to ride with, I rarely ride alone these days and really enjoy the company of mates, no matter how fast or slow, along the way.

I enjoy my own company but find riding fairly repetitive routes from my house a chore on my own.

Find a ride buddy.

MaxInc

its the most un-ride worthy tune but I cant get rid of it....help!

I know your pain! I've come back from the holliday and for a few days I had the hotel's theme song playing in my head continously, even at night! What might help is to replace the song with something else by listening to it repeatedly for some time. Only make sure you choose wisely because it may stick too!

Top Bottom