The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 5382953, member: 9609"]is baking just bread ? or can I put me blackberry pudding in ?

the perfect end to a good meal - Blackberry and apple crumble washed down with a good dark ale
View attachment 430231 [/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to get out today to pick some more blackberries. Already got a bagful in the freezer.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5382953, member: 9609"]is baking just bread ? or can I put me blackberry pudding in ?[/QUOTE]

Anything goes, bread, buns, cakes, pizza, and definitely blackberry pudding!

C R

Guru
My first go at toad in the hole, to go with the coleslaw daughter one made in food tech. Raised ok, but it was too much batter and it took forever to cook.
IMG_20180919_182927.jpg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I had a go at some cinnamon buns at the weekend. I'd heard of using a Japanese flour roux, known as tangzhong, and how it helps retain softness and moisture within the finished dough and I came across this recipe at King Arthur Flours. I used half quantities for the icing as I didn't want to smother the buns in it. I also added a little orange zest to the icing.

The result was good, if a little drier than hoped but still soft. I'd baked at the suggested 176C without making the standard 20C reduction for a fan oven. Even then I think I'd cut the baking time by 2 or 3 minutes too. You'll need to keep an eye on these the first time you do them as there's the blink of an eye between done and overdone.

Anyway, here's the result. I'll definitely make these again, they'd be ideal at Christmas with maybe some candied peel added too...

cinnamon buns.jpg

Tangzhong is really good for making bread that's (almost) got the same texture as sliced loaf.

For an enriched dough, yeah, I can see where it would make things stickier than they already would be. I got a really good bun recipe (it's upthread somewhere) from a chap who runs a bakery - the dough handles like a dream.

One thing to bear in mind though regarding the above - KAF is american, and and american flours can handle more hydration than the flour here in the UK. So I'd suggest cutting back on the water or milk. Say 5% of the total amount.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I'm always wary when the recipe states, "A somewhat sticky dough." Is it OK or are you scraping it off every surface in the kitchen for hours to come?

No, I mixed the dough in my stand mixer and it was fine. When it came to rolling it out and cutting it, it was very easy to handle. Still a little tacky but came away from the worktop cleanly.

One thing to bear in mind though regarding the above - KAF is american, and and american flours can handle more hydration than the flour here in the UK. So I'd suggest cutting back on the water or milk. Say 5% of the total amount.

I used Allinson's strong white flour with the suggested hydration in the recipe and it was perfect.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Question for bread making gurus..
I use a Panasonic maker for my everyday loaves..

Bread flours..

I use various..
Allinsons when on 'cheap'
Aldi, Lidl and Asda variants the rest of the time..
(I'll just say white flour for now)

I notice no difference in any of the finished loaves..
texture or otherwise.
Thoughts please^_^

apologies if discussed before..

Hmm... Bread makers make bread on a fixed time cycle IIRC, so no, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference.

Where you will really notice flour quality is if you make bread by hand with a long, slow fermentation - either yeast or sourdough. Waitrose's Leckford Estates flour is particularly fine for this IMHO.

FWIW Allinsons is my "go to" everyday flour. I buy the 3kg bags.

C R

Guru
Another Alinson user here.

I use a bread maker in dough mode to mix, knead and prove. I put the ingredients in the proportions the recipe demands, and leave the machine to it. Once that finishes the dough comes out for second kneading/forming/further proving as needed.

I've recently discovered there's a Waitrose near me where I get lovely Canadian bread flour for the same price as Allinson at Morrison's.
It's very nice.

Yeah, I know the stuff you mean. And yes, it is very nice. Mind, I rarely bake 100% white loaves - am usually working in the 30 to 50% wholegrain range, and for that. what I've got works pretty well.

FWIW I pay £2.40 for a 3kg bag of the Allinsons, but I still have one bag left from the load I bought at £2 when it was on offer earlier in the year.

C R

Guru
Question for bread making gurus..
I use a Panasonic maker for my everyday loaves..

Bread flours..

I use various..
Allinsons when on 'cheap'
Aldi, Lidl and Asda variants the rest of the time..
(I'll just say white flour for now)

I notice no difference in any of the finished loaves..
texture or otherwise.
Thoughts please^_^

apologies if discussed before..

@Bobby Mhor

This is my baking from a couple of days ago.

The recipe takes:

300ml of water
Heaped teaspoon of salt
Heaped teaspoon of sugar
Squirt of olive oil
Three cups of flour, I use the Alinson strong white
Half to three quarters of a teaspoon of yeast. I use the Alinson fast acting that comes in the green can.

Put the water, salt sugar and oil in the bread maker pan, then the flour and then the yeast. Select the dough program which will mix, knead and prove. I leave the dough in until it almost fills the pan, takes about three hours. Then pour out the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly, you don't want to knock it back too much. Now shape as you like, this is what I do
IMG_20181001_165457.jpg

Let stand for another hour.

I use a baking stone, so start the oven and warm up the stone for about twenty minutes before the bread goes in. Start at 210C, bake for about ten minutes and then reduce to 180C and bake for a further 25 minutes or so. This is the result
IMG_20181001_174435.jpg

IMG_20181001_174702.jpg

You can control how fluffy it gets by changing the duration of the second kneading.

It seems a faff, but as the bread maker does the hard work, it is actually quite easy.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
View attachment 432714

@Bobby Mhor

This is my baking from a couple of days ago.

The recipe takes:

300ml of water
Heaped teaspoon of salt
Heaped teaspoon of sugar
Squirt of olive oil
Three cups of flour, I use the Alinson strong white
Half to three quarters of a teaspoon of yeast. I use the Alinson fast acting that comes in the green can.

Put the water, salt sugar and oil in the bread maker pan, then the flour and then the yeast. Select the dough program which will mix, knead and prove. I leave the dough in until it almost fills the pan, takes about three hours. Then pour out the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly, you don't want to knock it back too much. Now shape as you like, this is what I do
View attachment 432709
Let stand for another hour.

I use a baking stone, so start the oven and warm up the stone for about twenty minutes before the bread goes in. Start at 210C, bake for about ten minutes and then reduce to 180C and bake for a further 25 minutes or so. This is the result
View attachment 432713
View attachment 432714
You can control how fluffy it gets by changing the duration of the second kneading.

It seems a faff, but as the bread maker does the hard work, it is actually quite easy.
I shall certainly give this a try.

I use the same yeast.
I must pick up some Allinson so an excuse to go out in this miserable weather..
Thanks for the inspiration...

Top Bottom