The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Just out of the oven, 2 white loaves. I make my bread the traditional way, kneaded by hand, proven twice then proven again once shaped and baked in the oven. I also fill a baking tray with boiling water on the bottom shelf of the oven when the loaves go in to create steam to aid the loaves to rise in the oven
F9BCA4A4-E6EB-4353-B0D6-94B6DC56E452.jpeg

SteveF

Some "rustic" Chelsea buns...
IMG_20190113_130435.jpg

C R

Guru
Has anyone played with chestnut flour in breadmaking? I don't know if it's available in the UK..?.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of kilos of it in December. A little goes a long way.

Here's a 600g loaf that I made with just 40g of chestnut flour for Xmas day.

View attachment 447605

That looks good, could you share the recipe?

I love chestnuts, didn't realise there was chestnut flour. Just searched for it and amazons has it, but it is not cheap.

bluenotebob

Veteran
That looks good, could you share the recipe?

I love chestnuts, didn't realise there was chestnut flour. Just searched for it and amazons has it, but it is not cheap.

I paid 15 euros/kilo for an 'organic' chestnut flour - and I think a few favours were exchanged along the way for me to get at that price.

There's a bit more information about that specific loaf here :

http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/a-winter-bread.13768/page-2#post-138958

There are more breads using chestnut flour in that thread on Cooking Bites, and there's an explanation of all the flours that I've used in the opening post in that thread. A lot of time, discussion and experimentation has gone into all these loaves. I don't give recipes away for free on 'open' forums - but I'm more than happy to share the recipe with you privately. If you PM me, I'll send you the precise details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I paid 15 euros/kilo for an 'organic' chestnut flour - and I think a few favours were exchanged along the way for me to get at that price.

There's a bit more information about that specific loaf here :

http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/a-winter-bread.13768/page-2#post-138958

There are more breads using chestnut flour in that thread on Cooking Bites, and there's an explanation of all the flours that I've used in the opening post in that thread. A lot of time, discussion and experimentation has gone into all these loaves. I don't give recipes away for free on 'open' forums - but I'm more than happy to share the recipe with you privately. If you PM me, I'll send you the precise details.
Full of admiration for your continued and rational experimentation (an embarrassing contrast with my dabbling efforts) - and I envy your neighbours! I'll make my annual appearance on cookingbites to comment further...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just made this..

87E21AF6-A2D1-4310-ADDF-91E7C5689833.jpeg

I usually make one or two loaves a week, the basic recipe is 500g flour which is usually a half and half of flours, 10g yeast, 10g sugar or honey or treacle, 10g salt, 300ml of liquid ( sometimes 150ml cider 200 ml water) .

Sometimes I make a white loaf as above and 50g butter.

I knead it all using a Kenwood chef with dough hook, prove for an hour, then another knead then prove for 30 mins, then bake for 27 mins.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Although I've not posted for a wee while, I've still been baking every week.

Recently I've been trying some new recipes from a book I got for Christmas; Dan Lepard's Short & Sweet. It covers a lot more than bread but that was the part that interested me most and I have to say that those which I've made and eaten so far have been excellent: soured cream sandwich loaf, spelt & ale loaf, and black pepper rye.

No pictures of those as they were devoured too quickly.

However, my attempt at his black bread (with cocoa powder, coffee, treacle, muscavado sugar, caraway seeds and cumin seeds) was a complete disaster. It was user error so I'll be more careful when I next attempt it but I thought I'd post a picture of the claggy catastrophe.

Anyone else want to own up to a baking blunder? (With pictures, of course!)

BlackBread.jpg

Top Bottom