The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just made an orange cake, waiting for it to cool then I’m going to pour melted dark chocolate on it.

Edit: it’s not an orange cake, it’s a marmalade cake.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cheshire and plum chutney on rye is pretty :hungry:
I actually had Drivers Real Ale Chutney which is very nice

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've made Dan Lepard's sour cream sandwich loaf again and managed to take a photo before I ate it.

If you want the perfect sandwich bread, with a crispy golden crust and which also makes super toast, this is the bread for you.

sour cream bread.jpg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Here's another Dan Lepard loaf: Black Pepper Rye

Lots of flavour in this one from the black pepper and caraway seeds (or you could use anise or fennel).
black pepper rye.jpg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I should have included a link to the recipe; you can get a few of his recipes on old Guardian pages. Here's the one for the black pepper rye https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/19/how-to-bake-rye-bread

A word of caution on the part where you heat the coffee, pepper, caraway and flour in a pot: keep whisking all the time and when it starts to thicken take it off the heat immediately and transfer it to a bowl to cool. It will quickly turn into a heavy mess if you let it boil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Split, lightly toasted and slathered with butter... Nom, nom, nom, nom!!! :hungry:
That's exactly how I like them.
I burnt myself on the first one though, that sticky apricot jam glaze gets really hot. A piece of that and a superheated raisin stuck to my finger as I pulled the bun from the toaster. Flippin' sore, even after I plunged my hand into a basin of cold water.

Top Bottom