The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Are you using a tin?

I generally make my bread in a 2lb tin and when the dough is shaped and placed in the tin, it is usually around half to two-thirds the height of the tin. I cover that with an oiled sheet of clingfilm and it's ready to bake when the dough has crested the top of the tin and the clingfilm has started to bow upwards.

As has already been said, you'll get a feel for it the more you bake. Timings in recipes are just a rough guide as people's kitchen environments can vary enormously.

Perfect, thanks.
Yes, using a tin at the moment - might try one not in a tin some time soon.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am sure its been said several time (probably by me :blush:) but I prefer to use a bread maker/machine thingy. Throw the ingredients in, choose the setting & loaf size, press the start button and 3 hours later I have a nice loaf.
The only times I have problems is when I allow some of the ingredients to get 'too old'.
I am sure your artisan loafs are better but I am not a good chef and the machine is (mostly) fool proof.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I am sure its been said several time (probably by me :blush:) but I prefer to use a bread maker/machine thingy. Throw the ingredients in, choose the setting & loaf size, press the start button and 3 hours later I have a nice loaf.
The only times I have problems is when I allow some of the ingredients to get 'too old'.
I am sure your artisan loafs are better but I am not a good chef and the machine is (mostly) fool proof.

Nowt wrong with the machine, I've still got mine and it turns out a bloody good loaf.

There are two things about doing it freehand that I prefer and those are; I can vary my loaf ingredients and styles more, and my bread doesn't have that annoying void in the bottom where the kneading paddle sits.

Actually there's a further reason and that is the buzz I get from making a successful loaf by hand; it's therapeutic and uplifting, particularly if other stuff has got me down during the week. I can't wait for Sundays!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Nothing wrong with using a bread machine, but there are 2 annoyances which make it preferable to bake bread "properly" for me:
1. As @glasgowcyclist says, with a machine you get a hollow where the blade was. Or worse, on mine, it would frequently come out of the tin and stay stuck in the bottom of the loaf and I'd have to dig it out with a knife.
2. Because you only get heat on 5 of the 6 sides, you don't get as nice a crust.

Maybe those are both issues with the machine I was using, but as I can knead the dough in my mixer, which is the hardest part, there isn't an advantage to using a machine for me.

Nothing wrong with a bread maker - not everyone has the time or inclination to do bread by hand. Agree with what @glasgowcyclist says, though, especially about the buzz of getting a superbly turned out loaf.

FWIW, I don't have a bread maker.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Panasonic bread maker for regular wholemeal loaves (usually 85% wholemeal, 15% white, sometimes with added linseed, pumpkin seeds, sunflower hearts depending on mood).
When Mrs Poacher wants a rustic French style loaf, dough is made in bread maker with type 55 flour plus up to 15% wholemeal if she's not watching, but shaped by hand, proved on oven tray in a swing-bin bag, slashed, sprayed with hot water and cooked at 200° C for 30 minutes fan. Usually good results.
I would knead by hand, but my arms are too weedy!

Panasonic bread maker for regular wholemeal loaves (usually 85% wholemeal, 15% white, sometimes with added linseed, pumpkin seeds, sunflower hearts depending on mood).
When Mrs Poacher wants a rustic French style loaf, dough is made in bread maker with type 55 flour plus up to 15% wholemeal if she's not watching, but shaped by hand, proved on oven tray in a swing-bin bag, slashed, sprayed with hot water and cooked at 200° C for 30 minutes fan. Usually good results.
I would knead by hand, but my arms are too weedy!

There are some really good "in the bowl" kneading techniques that don't require serious elbow grease. It's more like a folding process that develops the dough.

I do this rather than a "traditional" knead as only having a galley kitchen, it minimizes the mess.

OldShep

Über Member
Nowt wrong with the machine, I've still got mine and it turns out a bloody good loaf.

There are two things about doing it freehand that I prefer and those are; I can vary my loaf ingredients and styles more, and my bread doesn't have that annoying void in the bottom where the kneading paddle sits.

!

Surely a third one.. great fir getting the hands clean ^_^

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There are some really good "in the bowl" kneading techniques that don't require serious elbow grease. It's more like a folding process that develops the dough.

I do this rather than a "traditional" knead...

Me too!

Once I've mixed the ingredients I cover the bowl and leave it for ten minutes. Then I fold the dough in the bowl, repeating after 15 minutes and once again after 30 minutes. The fold I use was shown to me by a local baker and is the easiest thing.

Wet your hands (this makes it much easier to handle the dough without getting messy) and slip them under the dough at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock.
Pick up the dough and let its own weight stretch it out a little.
Flop it back into the bowl on its side.
Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat.
Do this about 6 times before leaving it to rest.
Go through these steps again after 15 and 30 minutes.
Leave it to rest for 30 minutes after the final fold then shape as desired.

Once it has sufficiently proved, bake.

C R

Guru
I use a bread maker on the dough program to mix, knead and rise. I then pour the dough, knock back, "shape", and bake after leting it prove again.

This was today's bake

IMG_20190207_165339913.jpg
IMG_20190207_165347282.jpg

White with poppy, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

Top Bottom