The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Mine only wanted about 50 mins... Guess it depends on your oven. I'd start checking it from about 45 mins on.

Would also recommend covering with tin foil for the last bit to stop it browning too much - mine is rather darker than the one @glasgowcyclist posted the other day.

Ok I’ll keep an eye on it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm going to try the banana loaf recipe ..
It’s really nice, I didn’t have the correct size tin so it rose up and split on the top so it looks a bit rustic, but it tastes fab, is a light texture and is very simple to make, as @Reynard says, keep an eye on it for the last ten minutes.

Thanks @glasgowcyclist for posting the link.

Edit: I noticed the cake split at the top in the recipe photo.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’m baking this right now. An hour seems a long time. Is that correct?

It is unless you're using a fan-assisted oven, in which case you should either reduce the temperature by 20C to 160C or reduce the time by 20 minutes. I went with the former.

And yes, it's expected to split along the top.

It's great fun this baking lark, isn't it?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It is unless you're using a fan-assisted oven, in which case you should either reduce the temperature by 20C to 160C or reduce the time by 20 minutes. I went with the former.

And yes, it's expected to split along the top.

It's great fun this baking lark, isn't it?

I do have a fan assisted oven, but it’s not very accurate with the temperature, I did reduce the temp a little.

Yup, it’s good fun, when it works.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The recipe's been scribbled down in my "book of bakes" for future reference.

I might add some lemon zest and some poppy seeds to it next time. Or maybe a handful of chopped pecans...

I was considering making the mixture as is without banana then at the last minute folding in chopped pear and sliced almonds. Whadya fink?

I was considering making the mixture as is without banana then at the last minute folding in chopped pear and sliced almonds. Whadya fink?

It's pretty well much a basic cake mix with banana added into it, but I think you'd have to up the liquid to take account for that. I'd probably look for an equivalent recipe on the interweb, because you may end up with a frisbee or a house brick - the rise is a chemical reaction after all, and if you get the ratio wrong, then there'll be :cry:

C R

Guru
Another Berry recipe here. Not me this time, though, but my daughter. She is a couple of weeks short of 12, but a much better baker than me. This was her first go at chocolate eclairs

IMG_20190209_184752673.jpg

I only helped making sure that the choux wasn't lumpy, they taste so much better than the ones from the shop.

Can you tell how proud I am?:blush:

Mmmm, those look good. :hungry:

My go-to recipe for anything choux-and-chocolate is from "Sainsbury's Book of Baking". OK, it's mid 80s vintage, but it's a goodie for all sorts of cakes and biscuits. Good recipe for choux pastry and a wonderful one for a warm bitter chocolate sauce that is just :hungry: which gives you the makings of a profiterole stack that's :hyper:

Top Bottom