The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
They look nice. Recipe?

It's in one of my wife's veggie cookbooks (for halloumi burger in a brioche bun). I'll look it out for you when I get home.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

@benb Sorry for the delay, I've taken the shortcut of posting a picture of the recipe as I'm too lazy to type it out. You should be able to read it okay, if not let me know.

Eat these on the day of baking or the day after, unless you store them in an airtight tub. I hope you like them.

brioche recipe.JPG

Katherine

Guru
I’m baking this right now. An hour seems a long time. Is that correct?

Mine only wanted about 50 mins... Guess it depends on your oven. I'd start checking it from about 45 mins on.

Would also recommend covering with tin foil for the last bit to stop it browning too much - mine is rather darker than the one @glasgowcyclist posted the other day.

I'm going to try the banana loaf recipe ..

It is unless you're using a fan-assisted oven, in which case you should either reduce the temperature by 20C to 160C or reduce the time by 20 minutes. I went with the former.

And yes, it's expected to split along the top.

It's great fun this baking lark, isn't it?

Delicious cake.
I baked it for 45 minutes at 170°C

Did you all eat it as it was or did you put any icing on or spread anything on the slices?

The Bystander

Über Member
This morning's loaf.
20% Wholemeal, 80% White, expected to be 100% delicious...
Morning loaf.jpg

C R

Guru
If I could have let it cool down I would have but, presented with the combination of warm, crusty and buttery, I hadn't the power to resist.
View attachment 452688
There's nothing like warm bread freshly out of the oven. One of my earliest and fondest memories of my childhood is the baker's van arriving at the farm gate. The baker would always give us a chunk of a loaf he kept for that purpose, warm and crunchy, ... Uhm, I am going to have to bake some bola now.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'd a few leftover bananas the other day so thought I'd try a banana loaf.

This time it was a Mary Berry recipe and it's the best yet, nice and light. Yum.

View attachment 451359

& @Reynard & @Katherine

I’m experimenting with this recipe. As I type baking in the oven is this basic mixture, but instead of banana, I’ve added grated orange peel, orange curd in the mixture, then chopped up the orange flesh and put on top of the mixture in the tin.

I shall report back.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

& @Reynard & @Katherine

I’m experimenting with this recipe. As I type baking in the oven is this basic mixture, but instead of banana, I’ve added grated orange peel, orange curd in the mixture, then chopped up the orange flesh and put on top of the mixture in the tin.

I shall report back.

I look forward to the result.

I made another at the weekend (enjoying a piece right now) and meant to put in some roughly chopped walnuts but forgot. Will try next time.

Top Bottom