The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I haven't looked at this thread previously because my baking skills go as far as popping a part baked baguette in the oven. Having had a look through I have to congratulate you all on being awesome, the bakes in your pics look absolutely gorgeous, you're very talented!!

And I hate you all :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So the bread I've been making tastes really good, but isn't rising as well as I think it should.

Here's my steps:
Stir 2 teaspoons of dried yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar into 150ml of tepid water.
While that's starting to froth a little, mix 450g of flour (whatever combination of white and wholemeal) and a teaspoon of salt
When the yeast has a bit of froth going, mix in with the kneading hook on the mixer
Add another 150ml of tepid water and let it knead for 5 minutes
Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place for an hour or so until roughly doubled
Knock back for 30 seconds and shape into a loaf in a tin
Cover with the clingfilm again and wait until it's risen a couple of cm above the top of the tin
Bake for 30 minutes at 200

So, it just doesn't want to rise much more when it's in the oven.
I'm wondering if I'm knocking back too much - might try skipping that. Any other tips?

Thinking about it, when I was using the sachets of yeast I think it was rising better, so maybe I'm not using enough yeast. I'm using Allinson Easy Bake Yeast

View attachment 456987

There's no need for the first step of soaking the yeast. All that frothing is gas that your dough isn't benefitting from. Just whack everything in together and mix, let the yeast do all its work in the dough.

I don't let my dough get to double in size as by then it's rather exhausted. This is evident by prodding the surface to see if it springs back. If it sags after prodding then it's over-proved but saveable. I would suggest letting it rise until it had increased in volume by a little over half, then knock it back.

When knocking back, don't be too rough. Some recipes talk about 'punching down' and people interpret this as beating every last drop of gas out. Don't do that, simply partially deflate it (gently). All you're doing at this stage is getting the yeast back in contact with its food source so it can produce more gas.

Shape it and put it in the tin, keeping a close eye on it. When it crests the rim of the tin by no more than 1cm at its highest, bake it. Once in the oven, sometimes the crust of the bread can start to form before the yeast has done its thing and although the yeast will carry on gassing, the hard crust prevents expansion. To avoid this you could place a small roasting tin or dish in the bottom of the oven while it heats and when you're about to put your loaf in, pour about 250ml of boiling water into it. The steam will keep the dough surface soft enough to prevent premature crusting and let your bread rise nicely. Remove this roasting tin after 15 minutes to allow your loaf to form a crust and colour to your liking.

Despite having made a lot of bread over the last couple of years, I still use a food thermometer to check when it's ready. All this advice to tap the loaf to see if it sounds hollow is way too vague, mine all sound the same, even when they're not ready. Standard bread I bake until it reaches 195F in the centre and sourdough until it's 205F.

bluenotebob

Veteran
So the bread I've been making tastes really good, but isn't rising as well as I think it should.

I've been making my own bread for 35 years now. I disagree with some of the comments above - but it doesn't matter: if it works for you, that's fine. For the record, I don't think using accurate fluid measurements are helpful - get the initial dough right by 'touch and feel' (a dough hook isn't necessary either - use your hands). Loaf tins and oiled clingfim aren't essential either.

Don't skip the knocking-back - it's important (and yes, I agree - don't be too brutal).

Have you checked the expiry date on that tin of Easy-Bake yeast? 'Old' yeast won't work as well. It might be that ..?

Yeah, could be the yeast. But with easy bake, you just add the yeast straight in, no need to activate it. (I use the stuff in the yellow tin, which I *do* have to activate...)

Things like temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure have a bearing on how well your dough performs. The storm systems coming in could well be a factor as well - in fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Also, watch the dough, NOT the clock. Sounds like you may be overproving your dough, which is why you're not getting oven spring. Other possibility is that the crust is forming on the bread before the dough has had a chance to spring, so try either a) putting a tin of boiling water in the bottom of your oven to generate steam or b) back your bread under a cloche.

P.S. No need for the oiled clingfilm, just put your bowl in a large plastic bag. Clear bag is helpful, though not necessary.

Don't you get problems with a dry skin forming on the dough then?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks. I'm doing another loaf tonight, so I'll see what happens.
When you say "Watch the dough not the clock" how do you know when it's proved enough but not too much?
When it indents with a finger and springs back fairly promptly?

C R

Guru
Thanks. I'm doing another loaf tonight, so I'll see what happens.
When you say "Watch the dough not the clock" how do you know when it's proved enough but not too much?
When it indents with a finger and springs back fairly promptly?
Yep, finger pressure. If it doesn't spring back it is overproved. Good luck.

The Bystander

Über Member
I cover my dough with a tea towel on the first prove, nothing on the second.

Don't you get problems with a dry skin forming on the dough then?

+1 for the tea towel (but I use it both times) and I do get a thin dry skin on top of the dough after the first rise but it doesn't seem to cause a problem and gets reabsorbed when knocking back.

Here's today's effort - one short of a baker's dozen
BakersDozen-1.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, thanks all.

Still not 100% sure about how much yeast to use.
I'm sure that the tin is exactly the same as the sachets. The sachets have 7g in, which is at least 2 teaspoons, probably more like 2½.
But above someone was only putting in less than 1 teaspoon. I guess that too much is as bad as not enough.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Still not 100% sure about how much yeast to use.
I'm sure that the tin is exactly the same as the sachets. The sachets have 7g in, which is at least 2 teaspoons, probably more like 2½.
But above someone was only putting in less than 1 teaspoon. I guess that too much is as bad as not enough.

I've gone back through my notes to 2016 which was the last time I used the Easy-Bake Yeast. I used 2 teaspoons for a 500g loaf, if that helps.

Incidentally, I don't think you need to add sugar with that yeast. But I did - and still do, now that I'm using French sachets of yeast. I'm making another 600g loaf today and I've used 2 x 5g sachets. Oh, and I've also added a dessertspoonful of molasses - which makes the bread smell even better, stains it slightly brown, and it tastes heavenly...

Top Bottom