The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Looks fine to me. How does it taste?
Tasty tasty very very tasty.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
This weird looking mixture is apparently the original British Rail gingerbread recipe for first class coaches! Once cooked, it is better matured for 2 or 3 days.

image.jpeg

I'll update once it is baked and out of the loaf tin.

I love bitter chocolate, could you share the recipe, please.

125 g dark choc of choice broken into pieces
150 ml water
1 tsp instant coffee powder (optional - I don't tend to put any in)
50 g granulated sugar

Put all the ingredients into a pan. Heat gently until the chocolate has melted. Then turn the heat up, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.

Couldn't be easier.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The gingerbread was a bit of a disaster. Has anyone got a 2lb loaf tin? When you get a moment, could you measure one and give me a rough L x W x D for me in cm? Rather a lot ended up on the oven floor. I'm sure that tin was the right size. I have used it before.

Thanks.

SteveF

A basic, simple white loaf.... Very pleased with how it's turned out..

IMG_20190310_175000.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So the bread I've been making tastes really good, but isn't rising as well as I think it should.

Here's my steps:
Stir 2 teaspoons of dried yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar into 150ml of tepid water.
While that's starting to froth a little, mix 450g of flour (whatever combination of white and wholemeal) and a teaspoon of salt
When the yeast has a bit of froth going, mix in with the kneading hook on the mixer
Add another 150ml of tepid water and let it knead for 5 minutes
Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place for an hour or so until roughly doubled
Knock back for 30 seconds and shape into a loaf in a tin
Cover with the clingfilm again and wait until it's risen a couple of cm above the top of the tin
Bake for 30 minutes at 200

So, it just doesn't want to rise much more when it's in the oven.
I'm wondering if I'm knocking back too much - might try skipping that. Any other tips?

Thinking about it, when I was using the sachets of yeast I think it was rising better, so maybe I'm not using enough yeast. I'm using Allinson Easy Bake Yeast

81rgEWNcVvL._SY445_.jpg

C R

Guru
So the bread I've been making tastes really good, but isn't rising as well as I think it should.

Here's my steps:
Stir 2 teaspoons of dried yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar into 150ml of tepid water.
While that's starting to froth a little, mix 450g of flour (whatever combination of white and wholemeal) and a teaspoon of salt
When the yeast has a bit of froth going, mix in with the kneading hook on the mixer
Add another 150ml of tepid water and let it knead for 5 minutes
Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place for an hour or so until roughly doubled
Knock back for 30 seconds and shape into a loaf in a tin
Cover with the clingfilm again and wait until it's risen a couple of cm above the top of the tin
Bake for 30 minutes at 200

So, it just doesn't want to rise much more when it's in the oven.
I'm wondering if I'm knocking back too much - might try skipping that. Any other tips?

Thinking about it, when I was using the sachets of yeast I think it was rising better, so maybe I'm not using enough yeast. I'm using Allinson Easy Bake Yeast

View attachment 456987
I use that, and mix dry directly into the flour. Haven't had issues with raising.

Top Bottom