The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
OK, thanks all.

Still not 100% sure about how much yeast to use.
I'm sure that the tin is exactly the same as the sachets. The sachets have 7g in, which is at least 2 teaspoons, probably more like 2½.
But above someone was only putting in less than 1 teaspoon. I guess that too much is as bad as not enough.

Two teaspoons is the right amount for the ingredients you posted. I'm about to make a similar loaf (using 450g of spelt) and it calls for two teaspoons. You'll be fine with that.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks, will update tomorrow.
I suspect I've been leaving it to prove too long and/or knocking back too vigorously.

But above someone was only putting in less than 1 teaspoon. I guess that too much is as bad as not enough.

Yeah, that'll be me.

I tend to put only half a teaspoon in (4g typically), but as I mentioned in the post above, I use a 12 hour pre-ferment, and then however long it takes for the bulk ferment. - 8 to 10 hours at room temperature typically, or longer if I prove the dough in the fridge.

You don't need much yeast to raise a loaf of bread - it just needs time - but too much yeast will give you a loaf that crumbles and tastes beery.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
How'd it go?
Miles better.
I let it prove for about 30-40 minutes and it seemed ready, as per the finger test. Previously I'd been leaving it for an hour or more.
Then instead of knocking back in the mixer for 30 seconds which I had been doing, I just gently shaped it into a rugby ball and placed into the tin. I didn't squash it in too firmly. Rose much better, and tastes amazing.

IMG_20190312_203257.jpg
IMG_20190313_075811.jpg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Miles better.
I let it prove for about 30-40 minutes and it seemed ready, as per the finger test. Previously I'd been leaving it for an hour or more.
Then instead of knocking back in the mixer for 30 seconds which I had been doing, I just gently shaped it into a rugby ball and placed into the tin. I didn't squash it in too firmly. Rose much better, and tastes amazing.

View attachment 457261
View attachment 457260

Woohoo!

That looks fab. :bravo:

SteveF

Miles better.

View attachment 457261
View attachment 457260
Nice looking loaf that...

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Thanks. I didn't bother with a thermometer, nor the dish of water in the oven - just baked it for 30 mins at 200 and it looked fine.
My oven is very consistent, so don't think I need to test the temperature.

The thermometer isn't to test the oven temperature but the bread temperature. Some doughs can look like they're ready on the outside but haven't fully baked on the inside, this is where I use the thermometer to check.

Nine times out of ten the bread is done but there's been the odd time where it's needed another five minutes and would have been too doughy had I relied on appearance and not extended the bake.

C R

Guru
OK, thanks all.

Still not 100% sure about how much yeast to use.
I'm sure that the tin is exactly the same as the sachets. The sachets have 7g in, which is at least 2 teaspoons, probably more like 2½.
Sorry missed the updates yesterday. I use just under one teaspoon, but let it prove for quite a long time, though not as long as @Reynard, about four hours usually.

Top Bottom