The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My recipe calls for one tbs of sugar for a 1 Lb loaf.

If it works it works.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yesterday's attempt was better. Flavour is nice, but lacking something I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe a little sugar in the recipe is in order.

If you like a slightly malty flavour from your bread, forget the granulated sugar and add a tablespoon of treacle instead. OMG!

I find it easiest to add the treacle covered spoon to my measuring jug then pour in enough boiling to just cover the treacle, then stir until it dissolves. Top up with cool water to required amount and add that to the flour. Gives the bread a nice colour too.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've got a bun in the oven as I type.

500g of your favourite flour, usually 250g Sainsbury's Wholemeal Bread Mix and 250g Sainsbury's Wholegrain Seeded Flour
10g Yeast
10g Salt
10g Sugar, sometimes honey, or treacle

10g dried milk
300ml Water.

The dried milk, salt, sugar go in a jug with water which is warmed up, the flour and yeast in the Kenwood mixing bowl, mix the whole lot together with a dough hook for 5 mins on a low setting, then another 5 minutes on a medium setting. Leave for an hour in the airing cupboard, then another go with the Kenwood for 3 minutes then into a warm lightly oiled and floured bread pan for another 30 minutes, then bake for 26 minutes @175

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I'd a few leftover bananas the other day so thought I'd try a banana loaf.

This time it was a Mary Berry recipe and it's the best yet, nice and light. Yum.

banana loaf.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
A quick question on yeast.
I use the packet stuff but I only make 1 or 2 loaves per week which is just 1 teaspoon of yeast.
Once opened, how long do you think it will last ie be effective?
The box has a use by date but no "once opened" info.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

A quick question on yeast.
I use the packet stuff but I only make 1 or 2 loaves per week which is just 1 teaspoon of yeast.
Once opened, how long do you think it will last ie be effective?
The box has a use by date but no "once opened" info.

Well that's the dearest way to buy it, at least twice the price of buying the ~125g tin.

Anyway, it'll keep for a long time (many months) provided you keep it dry and cool. If you only part use a sachet, roll it up tight and use a food clip or tape it shut and you'll be fine. But honestly, at your rate of loaf making you'd be better off buying the tin.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I just use the yeast sachets, which are one sachet per loaf.
No idea if I'd get better results with fresh yeast, but might not be worth the effort.

Reactions: C R
I buy the tins. But most of my loaves only tend to have half a teaspoon (or less) of yeast in them, so a tin lasts me a fair old while.

How to get more flavour into a loaf?

1) Flour - different flours have different flavours, so maybe try a different flour. IMHO the Tesco's own brand stoneground wholemeal is one of the nicest around when it comes to wholemeal, while for white, Waitrose's Leckford Estate is really nice.

2) Is there enough salt in the loaf? Typically you want 2% salt, so 500g flour will want 10g salt

3) The less yeast and the longer the bulk ferment, the more flavour you will extract from the dough

4) You could toast some flour in a frying pan and add that to your dough. Likewise rolled oats are good for this

5) Use a soaker and/or a preferment

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Well that's the dearest way to buy it, at least twice the price of buying the ~125g tin.

Anyway, it'll keep for a long time (many months) provided you keep it dry and cool. If you only part use a sachet, roll it up tight and use a food clip or tape it shut and you'll be fine. But honestly, at your rate of loaf making you'd be better off buying the tin.
Seconded

I buy the tin as well, never had any problem keeping it in the fridge. I don't bake a lot, so it lasts for a few months.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'd a few leftover bananas the other day so thought I'd try a banana loaf.

This time it was a Mary Berry recipe and it's the best yet, nice and light. Yum.

View attachment 451359

Did make that Mary Berry banana loaf yesterday. Ridiculously easy to make. Thanks for the heads up @glasgowcyclist :thumbsup:

A good chunk of it was demolished for breakfast this morning. :hungry:

I’m baking this right now. An hour seems a long time. Is that correct?

Top Bottom