The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m trying s different recipe and method. This fat little bugger is going in the fridge over night.
I’m excited, but this might be make or break....

D098C917-48EC-4202-8CCB-342F5ED57BE6.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Right, it went into the fridge overnight. Came out well.
I wish I’d have put a deeper cut into it.

The recipe said a darker crust equals a better taste, but I think I overdid it a touch.

I’ve not cut into it yet...

7F43E507-6A4A-4358-81D9-74F1036DB28D.jpeg
01C93DE6-CEAD-4971-86FE-48BA97DD2FD6.jpeg

I know how to score.....!

One of those curved razor blade things that have a proper name I can't remember.

A "lame" IIRC... ;)

I use a bog standard razor blade out of a packet that I bought for personal use. :laugh: Not the same blade I use to shave my legs, might I add... :laugh:

A chap on the fresh loaf gave me the best tip, which is to make the first cut vertically, and then make a second cut with the blade almost horizontally to get under the skin of the dough. This gives the dough plenty of expansion in the oven and should, if things are right, give your loaf a nice "ear" on the edge of the score.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A "lame" IIRC... ;)

I use a bog standard razor blade out of a packet that I bought for personal use. :laugh: Not the same blade I use to shave my legs, might I add... :laugh:

A chap on the fresh loaf gave me the best tip, which is to make the first cut vertically, and then make a second cut with the blade almost horizontally to get under the skin of the dough. This gives the dough plenty of expansion in the oven and should, if things are right, give your loaf a nice "ear" on the edge of the score.

How much jargon did you squeeze in there?

How much jargon did you squeeze in there?

:giggle:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Can you spot the deliberate mistake here in this repeat of Mary Berry's lovely banana loaf?

error banana loaf.JPG

Still a nice flavour but didn't rise as before so was a bit stodgy. Okay with a cup of tea.

I forgot to put the bloody eggs in!

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oooopsssssss! :crazy:

Question though. How the hell did you manage to forget to include one of the main ingredients?!?!?!?!?! :scratch:

The best excuse I can come up with is that I forgot I was making a non-standard loaf and had everything in it that I needed. Eggs don't feature in any other loaf I make.
The truth is probably that I'm at an age where it's too easy to forget simple stuff.

C R

Guru
The best excuse I can come up with is that I forgot I was making a non-standard loaf and had everything in it that I needed. Eggs don't feature in any other loaf I make.
The truth is probably that I'm at an age where it's too easy to forget simple stuff.
Nah, I think you'll find that you were subconsciously experimenting, that's what I tell myself anyway.

Ah... LOL...

I'm one of these bakers who will read the recipe, weigh out all the ingredients, and then lay them out on the worksurface in the order in which I need to use them. And then read the recipe again, just to make sure. :laugh:

C R

Guru
Ah... LOL...

I'm one of these bakers who will read the recipe, weigh out all the ingredients, and then lay them out on the worksurface in the order in which I need to use them. And then read the recipe again, just to make sure. :laugh:

That's called OCD, I think there are treatments for that :whistle:.

Top Bottom