The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’m having a go at using a poolish for the first time. Fingers crossed!
I’ve just put it together and will finish it in the morning.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
F5E03EAC-58E0-4C0C-B9CA-84C76BDA1C75.jpeg
40ECE572-3B20-44FB-B8CC-CF24C14AD8E6.jpeg

Yesterday I started a sourdough loaf. That spent the night in the fridge.
I cooked it when I got up.

I then made an oregano loaf, an onion loaf and a blob loaf.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

The poolish method seemed to give me a very wet dough which was almost impossible to shape. After a lot of work it began to come together but when I took it out of the proving basket it just wanted to spread as flat as a pancake again.

@Reynard is this normal? The recipe is here https://www.breadexperience.com/sing-to-me-my-bread-crackle-sweetly/ and uses a 75% hydration level.

Anyway, it wasn't a disaster and rose fairly well when baked. Once it's cool enough I'll cut a slice to try.

image.jpeg

Cripes! :eek: 75% hydration is heading towards ciabatta territory - surprised you managed to shape it at all... American recipe though, so you probably do need to tone the hydration down a fair bit.

My basic bread uses a poolish / preferment, and I work typically with hydration mark between 60 and 65%, depending on how much / little wholegrain. I'm not a big fan of big holes in my bread, you see, as stuff falls through the holes. :laugh:

I sometimes go up to a 50% quantity of preferment to final dough (end result is truly lovely), but it's so slimy and oozy that it's a pain to mix into the rest of the dough that I tend to go for around 20% preferment, purely for ease-of-use.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Cripes! :eek: 75% hydration is heading towards ciabatta territory - surprised you managed to shape it at all... American recipe though, so you probably do need to tone the hydration down a fair bit.

My basic bread uses a poolish / preferment, and I work typically with hydration mark between 60 and 65%, depending on how much / little wholegrain. I'm not a big fan of big holes in my bread, you see, as stuff falls through the holes. :laugh:

I sometimes go up to a 50% quantity of preferment to final dough (end result is truly lovely), but it's so slimy and oozy that it's a pain to mix into the rest of the dough that I tend to go for around 20% preferment, purely for ease-of-use.

I knew I should have asked you *before* I started!

I was 45 minutes slapping it around, using Richard Bertinet's method, and a lot of scooping with two dough scrapers. Knackered by the end of that.

The bread tastes fab, particularly the crust which has a nice initial crack to it then beautifully chewy. Reminds me very much of a bread I had in Sorrento a couple of years ago and unsuccessfully tried to replicate. It doesn't have the big holes though.

241B25A8-29E8-4245-84BD-67A1AC17F724.jpeg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
No idea what the hell happened to mutate this monstrosity. I didn't use any more yeast than normal. Should taste nice though.
IMG_20190820_215643.jpg IMG_20190820_224836.jpg IMG_20190820_224913.jpg

Top Bottom